Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Seats for a big guy

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  AstroCan 
#1 ·
I love Astro's because of the room they have, however I am a very big guy. I have to lay the seat back down quite a bit and well the factory seats are horrible... I am looking into replacing the seat with wider seats and move the seat back away from the wheel a few inches as well. I would also like the seat to be a little closer to the floor as my head nearly rubs the ceiling and the visor is in my direct line of sight.

DOes anyone have much experience in moving seats back, switching to say, car seats or full size van seats? I have seen some on here but would be interested in any feedback and advice you can give me.

By the way I have a 1995 Astro... its wrecked and I am rebuilding the front end currently, its really in great shape otherwise, 80,000 miles... but the seat is my biggest annoyance. My dash has a couple cracks also... is there an alternative cover besides carpet? I would much rather have some vinyl, leather or rubber cover over the dash instead of carpet. Again, any advice appreciated!

Charles

#2 ·
Charels
as far as moving the seat all you have to do is remove the seat and cut the old stud out and redrill where you want the seat to sit but before you do that I would place the seat in it center slid position and set the seat to where your comfortable in it then mark it and redrill the holes that way you can adjust foward and back. I installed pt cruiser seats in mine using the stock bases had to modify the base a tad and redrill two holes but they fit like a glove and you cant tell they dont belong there....

#6 ·
I feel your pain charlesmyrick78. I too am a big man. 6'2, 350lbs. You know what worked best for me even after replacing stock seats with luxury after market van seats? Losing weight! I've lost about 50lbs in the past few months and there is a world of difference in how much more comfortable I am when I drive as opposed to before. And besides, it's better for your health!! :thumbup: I know it's not the quick and easy answer, but it's the best answer.

#7 ·
James,

You keep losing buddy. It is hard but you can do it! The Lord gave us these bodies and it is our job to care for them. Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit so we have to keep the temple in order. I will pray for your success in reaching your goal. Besides, I want to you live a long time so I can read you advice on Astros and see the great pictures you post of your van. You have one of the coolest vans I have ever seen. :wave: :wave:

#9 ·
What about getting away from buckets and installing a bench seat from an S10, Ranger or something similar? The floor on an astro is flas so Just about any seat could fit provided the width is compatable.

I've seen bench seats installed in Jeeps for just this reason so why not an Astro?

#11 ·
You could but anytime you need to get at the engine, now you would have to take out the seat to get the doghouse out. I have never liked bench seats. The way I drive, I would end up over in the passenger side of the seat. I like that bucket seat to hold me in place.

#12 ·
I am a big guy myself, and moved my seat back about 5".
This created a lot of room, as well as legroom for me to drive.
The next thing I will do is lower the height of the seat brackets about 3" or so, as I tend to see out the top half of the windshield.
Moving the seat back was quite simple, I used the original bolts to hold in a L bracket of iron,
If you would like I will take a Pic and post it for you.

#13 ·
RydQlty said:
I am a big guy myself, and moved my seat back about 5".
This created a lot of room, as well as legroom for me to drive.
The next thing I will do is lower the height of the seat brackets about 3" or so, as I tend to see out the top half of the windshield.
Moving the seat back was quite simple, I used the original bolts to hold in a L bracket of iron,
If you would like I will take a Pic and post it for you.
Can you please post a pic, as I am a tall guy, too, and I am looking to get my knee away from the window handle.

#16 ·
tedanderson said:
Can you please post a pic, as I am a tall guy, too, and I am looking to get my knee away from the window handle.
I had that same problem.. but I repositioned the handle and I no longer have my knee hitting it. I wonder if this happens to most guys...and if so I will do a writeup on how to reposition the handle.
Please post, would solve my problem half way. :thumbup:

Are there any seats out there that are height adjustable? For me, the seat is too high whereas for my wifey the seat is too low. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.