general basic help for a new owner

general basic help for a new owner

Postby molly273616 [OP] » July 12th 2009, 6:28pm

Hi, I have been longing for a Chevy Astro for ages, finally got my hands on a stunning looking beast it's a Royal Star Tiara 1995 not without it's problems but it was a definate love at first sight thing :D
Anyways having never owned a left hand drive and living in the U.K I am having to learn to stop straddling centre of the road (currently convinced the chevy is a lot wider than it is), :swerve: at the moment I have a big gaping hole where a stereo onced lived and another where there used to be a tv, the rock "n" roll bed gets stuck (the rotating coil rods seems to be uneven) when trying to put it down, also the limo lights are out too :violin:
I have some very basic questions to ask of you fellow owners if that is o.k?

1). Is it alright to have the limo lights and tv/ stereo etc on while the van is parked for 5+ hours without flatting out the battery?
2).Could I put a single DIN stereo in the large space where the factory one has been removed?
3).Where would it be best to position a C.D stacker?
4).What is the "Battery guard" dial near the hood release lever for?
5).Why are there four terminals on the battery?
6).Limo lights wire and mood lights wiring looms end in the tv aperture and dont appear to connect to anything? totally confused where they should connect to
7). What is the secondary fuse box for? (centre of the van next to the captain seat).

I realize there are a barrage of questions here, I have scoured the manual and lots of fourms but found nothing that helps, thank you so much in advance answers to any of the above would be really appreciated.
Original Poster [OP]
molly273616
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: molly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full yearsmolly273616 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • A little help on a second battery?
    by SoccerMom4x4 » September 15th 2020, 1:45am in Interior
    11 Replies
    Last post by Safariescapepod View the latest post
    September 19th 2020, 10:32pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 25th 2020, 4:10am

Re: general basic help for a new owner

Postby Matrixx » July 13th 2009, 7:53am

Hi molly273616

-5 hours is pushing a standard type battery. The most important factor here is the amount of amp draw per/hour. You can kill a battery in an hour or two if you have a high power draw on the system. Most people either have a 2 battery set-up (deep cycle) or a generator.

-I'm sure you could do it with some modifications.

-Nearest the cd player (if I understand your question correctly).

-Sounds like it protects the battery from draining completely.

-Personally I would need to see a picture on what you mean about 4 posts molly273616, sorry. I have 2 top mounts and 2 side mounts with mine, that's usually the standard that comes with batteries now.

-With the last2 questions, I can't say exactly why that is, but I'm sure it has to do with the camper conversion part of it. The best place to check would be with the company that did the conversion (if they are still around). I wish I could be more help here for you.

I'm sure others will chime in if they can to help.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Re: general basic help for a new owner

Postby Leeann_93 » July 13th 2009, 2:23pm

1. I'd check and install a deep-cycle battery for that stuff. As Matrixx said, you'll kill a regular starting battery in no time doing that.

2. Yes, with a dash kit. Check out http://www.crutchfield.com - all their stuff comes with install instructions (complete!) install kits, antenna adapters and wiring kit when necessary.

3. Maybe in one of the overhead bins where the TV/VCR/DVD player had been?

4. It might have been installed to turn off the starting battery and allow the stuff to be run on a deep-cycle battery without killing the starting battery...I'd check under seats and under the vehicle to see if there are cables hanging or a battery compartment...something.

5. Like Matrixx, I'd have to see a picture.

6. Perhaps that's where the second battery goes?

7. For all the conversion company's stuff, I'd imagine.

There are several members here who have/have had a Tiara conversion - it'd be worth asking if anyone has the Tiara manual for the stuff (or knows without the manual):

lotuseclat767, johnny-77, Liftdriver53 (he has interior pics here https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2006&p=12193&hilit=tiara#p12193), jsy-guy (Gary put some links for the Tiara stuff here https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1358&p=7892&hilit=tiara#p7892) and rayjay (he's also in the UK).

EDIT: at the link provided by Gary, there is more info on the Battery Guard: http://www.v-sales.com/tiara_battery_guard.htm
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD