interior door panel

interior door panel

Postby $uperJoe [OP] » August 1st 2009, 5:56am

can someone with a speaker in their front doors take a picture of a stock panel please. i keep seeing people talk about the door speakers but mine just have a stupid plastic pocket there. i took the panel off and the glass is very close to the panel. i dont understand where the speaker goes :ty:
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
Original Poster [OP]
$uperJoe
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 59
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • replacement interior screws - image attached
    by joseluisrivera » August 3rd 2020, 7:59pm in Interior
    14 Replies
    Last post by DD1 View the latest post
    September 22nd 2020, 8:26pm
  • door open - key in ignition buzzer/alarm
    by fellowtraveler » March 31st 2020, 2:26am in Interior
    7 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    April 5th 2020, 8:52pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 24th 2020, 2:09am

Re: interior door panel

Postby evil_motors » August 1st 2009, 7:35am

it was a bracket that held the speaker out away from the door. i think someone has a picture of it because they were converting their doors to have speakers in them.. it didnt sit flush with the door.
1992 GMC Safari XT , Rhinolined interior, Fatmat walls and celing, Racing seats, Satin Black Dash, Taplock, Clear Corners, Check out my continuing thread with all my mods and lots of pictures.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3769
evil_motors
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: evil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: XT RWD

Postby $uperJoe [OP] » August 1st 2009, 6:59pm

so in the latemodel vans they never changed to speakers in the doors? i am sitting at 93 so know 11 more years went by. maybe they put them in after mine?
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!

Check out my Van build
Original Poster [OP]
$uperJoe
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 'cudapaul » August 1st 2009, 11:12pm

It was not until 1996 that the doors had speakers in them. Prior years were in the top of the dash.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby $uperJoe [OP] » August 1st 2009, 11:22pm

'cudapaul wrote:It was not until 1996 that the doors had speakers in them. Prior years were in the top of the dash.

ok does anyone have a pic of a 96+ door panel

Check out my Van build
Original Poster [OP]
$uperJoe
Alias (AKA):

Postby ASTROJOE LT1 » August 3rd 2009, 12:58am

Here is a picture of my 97 Door Panel on my 1989

My old door panels were worn out so I went to the u-pull-it yard and found a set from a 1997 Astro in the color that I needed.Changing them out is not a one day project. When you go to the UPY be sure to get all of the hardware from the 1997 model.You have to change out the door handle.It bolts up the two existing holes but you have to cut out two slots for the bottom of the bracket to mount in. Your will also need the (lock and open) linkage bars from the 97 model

And the Arm Rest Bracket. Drill out the spot welds and remount it with some screws

You also have to add the Bracket at the top of the door for the Grab Handle mounting screw. I cut slots at each end of the door so I could mount a couple of bolt slide in Brackets

I also got the speaker pod from the 97 and mounted it in the door. I cut two slots for the bottom to mount in and then just screwed the edges with sheet metal screws

Once you get all the parts changed out this is what it will look like.

I got the entire wiring harness from the 1997 model but I ended up making a complete new harness for the power mirrors. I did this about two months ago but this weekend i took it all apart again so I could replace the window track molding . If anyone has questions about doing this just ask.
89 ASTRO CL Shorty,95 Corvette LT1 Engine,4L60E, 3.42 Gears with a Torsen Posi,Black on Gray ( Original Color )
ASTROJOE LT1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: ASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 95 LT1 Engine

Postby $uperJoe [OP] » August 3rd 2009, 1:06am

thank you very much. that answers most of my thoughts. now one last one. can you get a pic of the panel looking down from sitting in the seat with the door closed. it looks close to where your leg would be. thanks again astrojoe

Check out my Van build
Original Poster [OP]
$uperJoe
Alias (AKA):

Postby ASTROJOE LT1 » August 3rd 2009, 1:43am

Ok here is a picture. I am 6'2" and it does not bother me at all when I am sitting in the seat.

89 ASTRO CL Shorty,95 Corvette LT1 Engine,4L60E, 3.42 Gears with a Torsen Posi,Black on Gray ( Original Color )
ASTROJOE LT1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: ASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 95 LT1 Engine

Postby $uperJoe [OP] » August 3rd 2009, 1:53am

looks like i will have the room i need. thanks for the angle. it looks like i need to buy some material to build some boxes. ill have pics when im going and done as well

Check out my Van build
Original Poster [OP]
$uperJoe
Alias (AKA):

Postby stoneground1 » August 3rd 2009, 6:05am

Hey all,
Haven't been on here in ages!! Haven't had internet for awhile!! But cool that i see this post!! I had posted a similiar
one awhile back.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3013
I wasn't able to get the door panels cause they were shot!! But i got the speaker housing. It may look a little
cheezy but it really helped out on my midrange issues. I have some Kenwood 6.5's in the doors now.
I riveted mine in. Then just cut out the holes in the panel. Pretty easy. Running the wires was easy on the drivers
side but the passenger took a bit longer because of the control unit being in the way of the access hole.
But it works and i only paid $2 for them.

Those panels look sweet in your 89' AstroJoe!! When i finally get all i need those are the ones i will get.
Plus the 96' front clip. And the lowering kit and the V8 swap and the.....................the list goes on!!!
LOL!!! Never ending project!!!!!!!!!! Peace!!!!!!!!
In Life it's all about Choices!!!!
stoneground1
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: stoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA):

Postby $uperJoe [OP] » August 3rd 2009, 6:33am

im very excited that everyone else is very excited about stereo. i will have to go out in the morning and see if there is enough room in the door and pocket that is the step with the door closed to see if i can make woofer boxes for 2 8s per door. i still have the 6.5s in the dash and with the type r components and a custom cross over . ill get it going in the morning. its about 112 degrees on average so its unbearable by about 930 in the am.

Check out my Van build
Original Poster [OP]
$uperJoe
Alias (AKA):

Postby $uperJoe [OP] » August 7th 2009, 9:45pm

well i started to build panels. i used sheet aluminum for the base. you can see the speaker where i think i want to put it but not sure. there is not enough air space for 2 per door unless i cut out the bottom of the frame and stuff some of it in there.
van stuff 012.JPG
van stuff 012.JPG (64.48 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
and with the speaker
van stuff 017.JPG
van stuff 017.JPG (61.01 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
and the panel mounted
van stuff 011.jpg
van stuff 011.jpg (140.77 KiB) Viewed 2921 times

thats all i have so far. any suggestions

Check out my Van build
Original Poster [OP]
$uperJoe
Alias (AKA):

Postby stoneground1 » August 8th 2009, 7:40am

$uperjoe,
That would be a cool idea but i really wonder about the air displacement? I mean an 8" woofer in the door?
Plus the build out for the housing will be a little bigger than what you see in the pics with the factory
speaker. And your woofer looks pretty big depth wise. How many watts is it rated? I mean i don't want to
derail your idea just might be a good idea to think about these things before you build. How many cubic feet
of air space does your woofer require to hit right? Maybe a shallow woofer would be a better idea.
Well good luck with it. Hope it works out.
In Life it's all about Choices!!!!
stoneground1
Years of Membership: stoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full yearsstoneground1 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA):

Postby $uperJoe [OP] » August 8th 2009, 8:02am

stoneground1 i thank you for the input. those are things that most people never take into consideration when building enclosures. there is enough space for 2 woofers minus the displacement of one of the speakers. so thats basically out. one would fit with only about half of the space being utilized. the sub is fairly large but at the junk yard i measured the factory pod and with an inch of clearance behind it the total is only an .5 inch larger. also the aluminum plate is almost an inch closer to the door frame than the carpet and cardboard that was there. i am just trying to think of a nice way to incorporate it into the panel. i can weld it but thats alot of aluminum to be puddling. i am thinking fiberglass face of some design. any ideas that would flow well and also be timeless.

Check out my Van build
Original Poster [OP]
$uperJoe
Alias (AKA):

Postby webcat » August 8th 2009, 8:31am

I like it! thats gonna be real nice when its done
keep us updated please!
webcat
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby evil_motors » August 8th 2009, 2:37pm

i saw some nice cargo pannels at the pick and pull. i think i may pick them up except they were manual crank and i have power windows but shouldnt be too much to modify them..keep up the good work and keep posting pics.
1992 GMC Safari XT , Rhinolined interior, Fatmat walls and celing, Racing seats, Satin Black Dash, Taplock, Clear Corners, Check out my continuing thread with all my mods and lots of pictures.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3769
evil_motors
Years of Membership: evil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: XT RWD