How to Change your Digital Dash Colors

How to Change your Digital Dash Colors

Postby evil_motors [OP] » August 10th 2009, 12:52am

so i made the best of it since my safari has the digital dash and i didnt want to figure out how to switch it to normal analog dash. And i really like the digital dash i just dont like the color of it. So i pulled it out and figured out how to change the color to just about any color you want. So here is how to do it. *side note* while you have it out you might as well re-solder the cold solder joints that way it all works like it should. I took pictures of what to look for also.

So here goes. First step Remove the guage cluster. It involves taking the surround out and then there are 4 bolts holding it in.

Next is to remobe the black plastic guage bezel it is held in by torx bit screws.

Now you can see some of the insides.. you can take the black plastic piece over the top light bulbs where the warning lights show up.

This is without the black piece over the lights.

Now flip the cluster over and you will see where the light bulbs for the warning lights twist in. you need to remove all of the light bulbs. keep track of where you pulled them from so you can put them back later.

Lights removed

Next you have to remove the membrane that powers the warning lights. It is held in with tiny pins and holders. you can use your fingernails like i did or get some side cutters and remove them but dont break them you need to put them back later.

With the membrane removed you can now remove the torx screws holding the metal plate on.

This is the back of the circut board for the digital dash. You need to remove the screws around the edge to free it from the white plastic frame.

now that it is free from the white bracket you can take the lens cover off. just flip it over and take it off. As you can see the original guages had 2 blue films and one green one covering the lcd display.

Here is what it looks like inside. nice huh.

Now look over the board and look for little gaps in the solder joints. what you are looking for is on the bottom of this one.

Solder the connections back solid and your guage cluster will work again like it was new. Next just pick up some ParCan gels from your local DJ shop or Guitar Center. And cut whatever color you want into the shapes of the original plastic plates. then put it all back together in the reverse process. I decided to use red. but the pack i bought has just about every color of the rainbow. So if i want to change to a different color later i can.

Before with the original colors.

New Red Digital Guages.... NICE!!!!

Side Note. The odometer has a thick green plastic piece that is melted/fused to the cover. I will eventually change this but i didnt want to break my only cluster in case it didnt work.

There you are.. you now know how to change colors on your digital dash.. total cost... .$4.
1992 GMC Safari XT , Rhinolined interior, Fatmat walls and celing, Racing seats, Satin Black Dash, Taplock, Clear Corners, Check out my continuing thread with all my mods and lots of pictures.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3769
Original Poster [OP]
evil_motors
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: evil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: XT RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Dash carpet and/or removal
    by AstroOafAdventurer » August 20th 2020, 1:15pm in Interior
    6 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! View the latest post
    September 16th 2020, 10:20pm
  • painted dash
    by vangogo » September 9th 2020, 4:18am in Interior
    5 Replies
    Last post by vangogo View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 3:49am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 4:16pm

Re: How to Change your Digital Dash Colors

Postby evil_motors [OP] » August 10th 2009, 12:55am

lol i just noticed that the other guage cluster has a few less miles than my original one.. lol better switch that part out with my old one so i dont get into any trouble.
1992 GMC Safari XT , Rhinolined interior, Fatmat walls and celing, Racing seats, Satin Black Dash, Taplock, Clear Corners, Check out my continuing thread with all my mods and lots of pictures.
Original Poster [OP]
evil_motors
Years of Membership: evil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » August 10th 2009, 1:26am

evil_motors wrote:

Side Note. The odometer has a thick green plastic piece that is melted/fused to the cover. I will eventually change this but i didnt want to break my only cluster in case it didnt work.

That's a good write up.

How many of those clusters do you have?
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby evil_motors [OP] » August 10th 2009, 1:40am

just 2 right now... but i think there were more at the pick and pull
Original Poster [OP]
evil_motors
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » August 10th 2009, 3:48am

That's a great write-up evil_motors. The Pictures really show the difference between the 2 colors. Thanks for taking the time to post it.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby fede » August 10th 2009, 4:38am

It looks good man!! thanks for the write up with all the pictures!
91 Astro LT
fede
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: fede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full yearsfede has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » August 10th 2009, 4:55am

AWESOME job! Thanks! I have an analog cluster, but still... good writeup!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby evil_motors [OP] » August 10th 2009, 5:38am

welcome.. i figured someone would find it useful. I just cant leave anything stock.. gotta make it mine.
Original Poster [OP]
evil_motors
Alias (AKA):

Postby xequar » August 10th 2009, 6:29pm

Very nice! Do you suppose one could do a light frosted or clear gel to get a white color?
xequar
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: xequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Formerly 4.3L XT

Postby evil_motors [OP] » August 10th 2009, 9:23pm

deinately. the cover has a slightly tinted plastic glass on it so you could probably do it with no film and get the white.
Original Poster [OP]
evil_motors
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » August 11th 2009, 1:49am

Not bad...my parents had a Subaru GL-10 wagon in the 80s - I wouldn't have minded the digital dash as much if it was red.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby evil_motors [OP] » August 11th 2009, 3:20am

yeah i have about 14 colors to choose from so i picked red since my business colors are red and black.
Original Poster [OP]
evil_motors
Alias (AKA):