Drivers seat arm rest repair - the easy way.

Drivers seat arm rest repair - the easy way.

Postby MrBob [OP] » July 7th 2014, 5:38am

I guess it was my turn to bust my arm rest today. I climbed into my van and leaned on the arm rest as I got comfortable. Suddenly, I hear a snap and the arm rest begins to spin freely. I made a quick search here to get up to speed on how others have handled this but it struck me that they often made the repair more complicated than it needed to be. That's not to say that I didn't find useful information in some of the threads and thank you whoever you are.
The first step is to remove the arm rest. This photo shows the bracket and clip that holds the arm rest to the seat. I spun the arm rest into a position that allowed me to see the clip and using a large flat tip screwdriver I was able to gently spread the arms of the clip apart. The arm rest then just popped off. Easy-peasey.
IMG_3366.JPG

Next I worked loose the seat cover. Directly under the back rest is a joint in the fabric. Pull one half to the front of the seat and one half to the rear. This should provide the slack you'll need to move the vinyl away from your work area.

Here's the offending member. We may like our Astros for a number of reasons but quality ain't one of them; a cheap piece of metal likely weakened in the welding process.
IMG_3370.JPG

This is a view of the bracket to which the arm rest is fastened. The large pin holds the arm rest and to the left can be seen the remains of the broken arm rest stop pin. This needs to be drilled out.
IMG_3368.JPG

Using a punch I made a mark in the middle of the broken area for the bit to bite. First I drilled a small pilot hole through it and then used a 5/16" bit to make the final hole. I chose 5/16" because the drill bit was handy.
IMG_3371.JPG

It really wasn't that difficult to drill out. Take your time and use a sharp bit.
IMG_3372.JPG

After rummaging around in my bolt pile I come up with a 5/16" x 1 1/2" bolt and find a Nyloc nut to fit. The nut will fit into the groove in the arm rest clip. Reaching from the front of the bracket I slide the bolt through the hole and follow it with a wrench. After that it's a simple matter to tighten everything up. Using my caliper I measure the broken stop pin at 1" long so I cut my bolt the same length.
IMG_3375.JPG

Finished product. After re-positioning the seat cover I slap the arm rest into place - all good and about 40 minutes from start to finish of the repair.
IMG_3376.JPG

So, there you have it, a relatively simple and inexpensive repair. I hope you find this helpful.
Original Poster [OP]
MrBob
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Mr. Bob
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • --SOLD--Does anyone need door mounted arm rests? Dark blue..
    by erykahmccarty » October 4th 2020, 9:53pm in Interior
    3 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    October 8th 2020, 9:41pm
  • Seat belt anchor
    by plainolebill » July 14th 2020, 8:05pm in Interior
    4 Replies
    Last post by plainolebill View the latest post
    July 14th 2020, 10:07pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 9:14am

Re: Drivers seat arm rest repair - the easy way.

Postby Big_kid » July 7th 2014, 1:37pm

:thumbup:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby RECox286 » July 7th 2014, 3:43pm

My problem, with the pax chair armrest, is that the plastic clip is broken. Haven't found one

to replace it with, and not sure I want to try to duplicate one by hand here in the shop. Been

broken since we got the truck some 13 years ago, and I grit my teeth at GM for accepting a

plastic clip every time I ride in the darned seat. Any thoughts ???

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby DRZ » July 7th 2014, 6:54pm

At least GMs accountant driven engineering didn't shut off your engine and lock up your steering,,,,,,
Nice fix Mr Bob !
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys

Postby MrBob [OP] » July 7th 2014, 9:13pm

RECox286 wrote:My problem, with the pax chair armrest, is that the plastic clip is broken. Haven't found one

to replace it with, and not sure I want to try to duplicate one by hand here in the shop. Been

broken since we got the truck some 13 years ago, and I grit my teeth at GM for accepting a

plastic clip every time I ride in the darned seat. Any thoughts ???

Uncle Bob

What does the Pax chair armrest look like? The clip must be different from mine, which looks like it would be simple to replace.
Original Poster [OP]
MrBob
Years of Membership: MrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 7 full years

Postby RECox286 » July 8th 2014, 4:21pm

The clip is exactly the same as yours, except I haven't been able to locate one that is still

in usable condition. (01 Astro, the wife's truck)

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby MrBob [OP] » October 11th 2014, 10:19pm

I leaned too hard on my repaired arm rest and broke it again. I replaced it with a 3/8" by 1 1/2" bolt with a nylock nut. Using what I learned from my last repair, I had the new bolt installed in less than 1/2 hour, and that included making the bolt hole bigger.
Original Poster [OP]
MrBob

Postby pauldeere » October 11th 2014, 11:13pm

Nice repair Bob. Do you think a grade 8 bolt would be the best choice?...
pauldeere
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: pauldeere has been a member for 6 full yearspauldeere has been a member for 6 full yearspauldeere has been a member for 6 full yearspauldeere has been a member for 6 full yearspauldeere has been a member for 6 full yearspauldeere has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Tall Paul

Postby MrBob [OP] » October 12th 2014, 3:39pm

pauldeere wrote:Nice repair Bob. Do you think a grade 8 bolt would be the best choice?...

That would be a matter of choice. The bolt is so easy to replace that I'd prefer to have it break rather than ruin the plastic insert in the arm rest. The insert is also replaceable but good luck finding one. I don't see the replacement 3/8" bolt breaking any time soon.
I sometimes climb into the front of the van from the back and that's when I seem to screw up and lean too heavily on the arm rest, even when it's folded up.
Original Poster [OP]
MrBob

Postby ssbf1 » July 10th 2015, 8:32pm

Just had the same problem with my driver seat arm rest. I decided to pull up the seat fabric, disconnect the lumbar cable and remove the 4 bolts holding the seat back to the base. I had it welded at my Local shop for $5.00, took maybe 30min.
Attachments
IMG_1844.jpg
IMG_1842.jpg
IMG_1843.jpg
ssbf1
Years of Membership: ssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992

Postby MrBob [OP] » July 12th 2015, 5:25pm

Another nice fix.
Original Poster [OP]
MrBob

Postby jrsride2002 » May 20th 2016, 12:17am

Well, I too just broke mine. Same scenario, happened after work. Driving just isn't the same, without it.

Thanks Mr. Bob, I'll be doing this sometime this weekend. Maybe sooner, but unlikely.

~Junior
2001 RWD: E-Fan mod(Ford mystique/contour), 1" radiator swap , external trans AND oil coolers (2)Flex a lite 3826, firestone air bag helpers

2000 AWD: Offroad/camping Project
jrsride2002
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: jrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Junior
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LS V6 RWD

Postby nerdybiker » June 17th 2019, 5:52pm

I used this writeup today, it's very good!

Building on this info, I went ahead with a few ideas:

A set of external snap ring pliers popped this right off of course, as did a #3 (big) phillips screwdriver. The blunted end on the #3 allowed the two sides of the clip to follow the grooves on the phillips until it came loose, without mangling the tabs.

I drilled the hole 5/16" and ran a 3/8-16 tap through there to add a little holding traction on the bolt, and capped it with a standard nut with some blue locktite on it.

It took me 35 minutes! :)
nerdybiker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: nerdybiker has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: RWD Pass w Tow

Postby Acelawn » January 17th 2020, 10:20am

Thanks for the help, l just picked up a pair of front buckets at local junk yard, my original seats had no arm rest, the drivers armrest needed this repair.
Acelawn
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): Acelawn
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Rwd

Postby AstroWill » January 17th 2020, 2:50pm

Acelawn wrote:...my original seats had no arm rest, the drivers armrest needed this repair.

:thumbup: It's a huge difference for me, esp on the longer trips.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Giesterfarher » July 15th 2020, 1:27am

I knew there had to be an easy fix. This is going to be my first repair on the new to me Astro. I was trying to decide whether to try the wrecking yards to find an Astro/Safari with the right upholstery and non broken armrest, (Yeah, Right, good luck with that, lol) or maybe find another vehicle with similar seats and coloration and adapt them.

I like the idea of fixing it Tim Allen style better, at least for now. Oh OH OHH! :D

I just can NOT drive without having something to lean on. It forces me to drive with both hands on the wheel and that just isn't cool. lol
Giesterfarher
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Giest
Extra Info: LS

Postby Giesterfarher » July 18th 2020, 11:39pm

Knocked it out this morning, total time start to finish, 11 minutes, and I had to climb in and out of the Astro 3 times for drill bits that would cut. Funny that the brand new titanium nitride bits wouldn't touch the old bold head, but the HSS bits cut through like butter.
Oh, and there's a real good reason for using a nylock nut instead of a regular nut the OP doesn't mention. The rounded edge of the Nylock allows the armrest to slide fully back onto the main stud and lock into place. The standard nut does not. So I'll be stopping by the hardware store on my way home from work Monday to buy a single nylock nut. lol

At any rate, driving with an armrest again, and it feels great.
Giesterfarher
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Giest
Extra Info: LS