my hand built center console project.

my hand built center console project.

Postby markmitch [OP] » January 17th 2015, 8:51pm

For now I have the following design on paper, 3 feet long x 16 inches tall by 16 inches long
cup holders 2 at each end because I have 4 bucket seat and one bench seat.
under the console there will be an amplifier so I am building screens into the base on 4 sides to allow air to pass through to prevent the amp from overheating. there will be two compartment built into the console one will be lockable'the other will not.
One will be for CD's and DVD's. at the back end of the console will be a small shelf with velcro to set up a small DVD player for back seat viewing. I will also add some small lighting on the console along with two USB plugs, one for the DVD and one for whatever. I have 6 4x4 sheets of a type of plywood I believe its called RB&B to build it out of. I will take pictures when I start and finish. As you all know the Astro/Safari vans do not have a locking glove box or anything so thats why I am making one compartment locking and the other non locking.
:ty:
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 629
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • wiring info needed-overhead console
    by markmitch » December 31st 2020, 5:46pm in Interior
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 4th 2021, 6:46pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 23rd 2021, 7:12pm

Re: my hand built center console project.

Postby WoodButcher » January 17th 2015, 9:32pm

IMO 3' is a bit long. My '97 I have a box about 2' in front of that a second with my amp and a pair of outward facing speakers about a foot long so the total is similar to what your planning. I think that if it were one unit would be a PITA to move to get into the doghouse. As it is I slide the 2' section back a few inches and the amp / speaker box is easily removed.
Will your dimensions affect the leg room in the back? Recently we went out with friends in my '93, my pal drove and I got to ride in back. I'm tall and found it comfortable to use some of the space between the front seats for my feet but in that van the box I have in the center is small, only 18" long or so.
IIRC CowboyDan built a pretty fancy box, you may want to look for that for some ideas.

I may be building a console soon myself so I'm subscribed, can't wait to see what you come up with.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » January 17th 2015, 9:46pm

I came up with 3 ft so the seats in the back can use the rear cup holders with a seat belt on But when I get the two missing buckets that may be too long as you said. I am just gathering materials for now since i don't even have the correct saw blade yet lol
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years

Postby WoodButcher » January 17th 2015, 10:03pm

Meethespeakers use a console from another vehicle that looked interesting to me, I don't remember what it was from but it had cupholders on the back and it was shaped to give more foot room. That may give you some ideas also.

I like the look of the consoles from other vehicles but when they are adapted to ours I always see something that looks unfinished or unmatched, that's why I choose to go with the oak and black vinyl or leather. Having 2 styles of buckets in my van bugs the snot out of me.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby Astro Pop » January 17th 2015, 10:12pm

Here's one that i recently installed, for reference. I find that the front edge does cause problems with getting the dog house out even though the shifter is back just a little too much. It isn't quite comfortable where it is. The measurements are 30" by 9 1/2" and is out of a Ford Expedition.
Attachments
WP_20141109_16_29_54_Pro.jpg
WP_20141111_11_25_18_Pro.jpg
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby WoodButcher » January 17th 2015, 11:16pm

Hey Pop, do me a favor and post any pics you have and any info you can share on that shifter in my '93 thread? the link in my sig.
I'm wondering if the shifter were farther forward and a little closer to the seat would it be more comfy / drivable?
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby markmitch [OP] » January 21st 2015, 5:03pm

did you install the shifter into the console? If so what shifter is that?
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Astro Pop » January 21st 2015, 6:32pm

I installed a B & M Sportf Shifter into the console. I had to enlarge the opening from the original Ferd shifter.
Astro Pop
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby Meterpig » January 21st 2015, 8:12pm

Just poking around, I found a pretty cool console. Nice and clean.

http://www.g0hwc.com/chevy_astro_build.html

By user GOWHC
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan