Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Dash

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Big_kid 
#1 ·
Besides the junk yard where can you get a new dash everyone i find is cracked. Thinking about doing a fiberglass dash.

#2 ·
When I restored my 92, mine was ghastly. I have two 92's that were Sheriff vehicles and they were mechanically perfect when I got them but man the interiors were shot. I kept checking the junkyard for two years and finally I saw one in there than was perfect and pulled it. It took about 3 hours to install it, including new speakers and I think that was the last thing I did to that van. It was the finishing touch and the old dash came off in small pieces (Florida sun). These are very old vehicles, parts are getting scarce. You will probably have to wait a while, but one day your ship will come in. Just keep checking, when you think it's never going to happen, you'll walk through the junk yard and see some pile of junk with one single good part on it and it will be the part you need! It's a waiting game with old cars.......

At some point, I think the Astro/Safari will become a classic/collectible like the square chevy trucks, then there will be catalogs of parts being made for these. Not yet though.

#4 ·
AstroGoat said:
Have you considered getting one of those carpet pads for the dash?
That's what I'd do. That working in/on/over/under the dash thing is a lot of advanced Yoga. It's like trying to do a really good job of cleaning the inside corners and bottom of your windshield, only eleven times more intense and back tweaking.

Lump

#6 ·
I pulled all the padding and most of the sticky film underneath it out of mine after seeing pics of another member's van after he'd done the same. My sinuses couldn't take any more of the foam dust that it was shedding. I didn't set much time aside, I just got most of it out when I started it. I work the smaller pieces of sticky tape/film while waiting at traffic lights now. It doesn't look nearly as horrid as you might think.

I see yours is a gen 2, mine is a 95, as is the one in the thread below. I don't know what a gen 2 looks like uncovered, maybe a junk yard near you would let you pull apart a bad one to see what's underneath if you toss them a few bucks?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12478&p=605170&hilit=nude+dash#p605170

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.