Things that go clunk in the night....

Things that go clunk in the night....

Postby Pengyou [OP] » June 20th 2016, 5:26pm

When I get my van going, whether forward or reverse, there is a very slight pause and a slight clunk. In days of yesteryear, when I had a Scout, that noise meant that my u-joints needed attention. I made the mistake of taking my 'store to a national chain shop - we can call it FireRock, just for the sake of anonymity :banana: , and they told me that I needed new spider gears in the rear diff and wanted $900 to buy and install them..even showed me where a couple of the teeth had been chewed a little bit. I quickly took my baby 'stro away from those people and brought it home. It is still driving - working fine - but experience says that tiny clunks usually become bigger clunks, and when they get to be really big clunks, they sometimes run for president :)

From my limited scope of knowledge, it could be u-joints. I also believe that there is a clutch in the transmission that is used when putting the car into motion (F or R) that might make this sound. Any other options? How to divine which area is the culprit?
Original Poster [OP]
Pengyou
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Pengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Things that go clunk in the night....

Postby dkGarnet96 » June 20th 2016, 5:59pm

Does the clunk happen from P, when putting the van into D or R ? Sounds like harsh garage shifts. Sometimes the transmission valve body spacer plates get worn out and the check balls get stuck.
-96 AWD 350k- R.I.P with a spun bearing
dkGarnet96
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: dkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full yearsdkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full yearsdkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full yearsdkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full yearsdkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: 4.3 awd

Re: Things that go clunk in the night....

Postby Pengyou [OP] » June 21st 2016, 10:42pm

Not when shifting into into gear int gear but when the van starts moving.
Original Poster [OP]
Pengyou
Years of Membership: Pengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: AWD Cargo