Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

New member, '97 AWD Astro, needs driveshaft.

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  infinitenexus 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new here and this is my first post. Long story short, I just bought a 1997 Astro LT AWD in nice shape because my old van died and I needed something ASAP. I've always wanted a hot rod Astro so I picked this one up. Well, today I'm going over it and checking everything out and it seems to be pretty solid, but it's missing the driveshaft. Completely missing. Just a big empty gap between the end of the transmission and the rear axle.

So I guess I'm heading to a junkyard tomorrow morning to try to get a new driveshaft. How hard are they to remove/install? What specific tools will I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Armon

#3 ·
That's it? Awesome. From some searching it looks like it will be a pretty easy task to remove and install. I believe 1997 and before used one driveshaft and 1998 and after used a different? Am I correct on that? I'm heading to a junkyard tomorrow morning to hopefully get a driveshaft, I just want to make sure I get the right one. Also how can I tell the year of the van? Thanks again!

I just hope there's no other issues once I install the new one. I have to get it to pass the MD state inspection here soon so I guess they'll tell me of any other problems. There's a slightly stinky exhaust smell so possibly the cat.

#4 ·
Welcome to the Show !!!!

I have purchased a few used cars in the past.
And like you - I never thought to look underneath to see if it had a Driveshaft ( I am making a Note right now for Future Reference ).
Did it have one in the Front ? Maybe they were doing the "Front Wheel Drive" tango.

Always wanted a "Hot Rod Astro" ? Did you get one or are you planning to make it one ?

Mike

#5 ·
Yeah it drives so the front drivetrain is ostensibly intact. Fingers crossed I can get one from a junkyard tomorrow morning without any issues and everything will be fine. To be honest it runs fine on just the front axle, it's just not going to break any speed records.

Andy Yeah I love hot rod astros! I remember when I was 19-20 I saw one at a car show, lowered on wide wheels, camming out V8 in it, custom ridiculous paint job, and a stereo system with a few thousand watts. I thought it was great that someone did that with a van. Fast forward 13 years and I owned a minivan myself (dodge caravan) and got bored one day and painted it white with red flames, added a great stereo, put some black rims on it, and I was going to do more but it just died. So enter the astro. My plans for it are mild, but I'll definitely be lowering it a bit, doing the ECU flash I read about and a few other mods, replacing the stereo, and probably repainting it. I'll be using this van to haul around my other two band members and our gear so I don't want to get too crazy, but I'll be personalizing it for sure.

#6 ·
Welcome!

Where in MD are you?

Clean your MAF sensor, replace your air filter, do a tune-up. Funky smell from the exhaust is probably raw gas dumping through, though. Do you feel a misfire? Is the check engine light on solid or flashing? Do you have a code reader and can check misfire counts, fuel trims, etc?

#7 ·
Leeann_93 said:
Welcome!

Where in MD are you?

Clean your MAF sensor, replace your air filter, do a tune-up. Funky smell from the exhaust is probably raw gas dumping through, though. Do you feel a misfire? Is the check engine light on solid or flashing? Do you have a code reader and can check misfire counts, fuel trims, etc?
I want to install some form of air intake, if nothing else just to free up some room in the engine compartment. Thanks for the tip on the exhaust smell! I totally have that. Is there a simple way to fix the gas dumping issue? No check engine lights, everything else is pretty solid and good to go. The engine runs nice and smooth.

I'm in Baltimore, currently in Highlandtown, but buying a house up in Hamilton.

#8 ·
Freeing up space is one thing, but the stock box does a really good job of sucking in cold air from the grille. I don't like messing with the stock system because any mod generally changes the air intake to hot.

Depends why it's dumping. Could be a stuck-open poppet valve (most likely), could be a failed fuel pressure regular (less likely), could be bad O2 sensors calling for more fuel, could be a dirty MAF...

I'm down in Annapolis; if you ever need an extra hand. I also have a Tech 2.

#9 ·
Awesome, thanks! I'll be taking it to get a state inspection soon, so this should be fun. I'll be interested to see how much (or hopefully, how little) I have to fix to get it to pass inspection.

Maybe if I'm feeling frisky I'll adjust the torsion bars tomorrow morning and drop the front an inch.

#10 ·
Okay so apparently the driveshafts change throughout the years. I just got a driveshaft from (i think) a 1995 from a junkyard and it won't fit mine. The splined part that goes into the transmission is a completely different size. What year rear driveshafts fit a 1997? I would really appreciate any help, I'm kinda screwed right now.

#11 ·
If you have AWD, it's the part that goes into the transfer case.

According to this listing on ebay, 1995-1998 AWD shafts are the same.
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-96-97-98-CHEVY-ASTRO-REAR-DRIVE-SHAFT-AWD-815753-/191790865827?fits=Year%3A1997%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3AAstro%7CSubmodel%3ABase%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A4.3L&hash=item2ca7a05da3:g:Q2QAAOSwqrtWpQiR&vxp=mtr

#13 ·
So... I said ... "Always wanted a "Hot Rod Astro" ? Did you get one or are you planning to make it one" ?

His response was: "Andy Yeah I love hot rod astros"!
Did he just call me Andy?

And what about this: He used "ostensibly" - AND - "assuaged" in one Thread.

Is that OK ?????

:blah: :shrug:

LOL, Mike

#15 ·
sixsix said:
So... I said ... "Always wanted a "Hot Rod Astro" ? Did you get one or are you planning to make it one" ?

His response was: "Andy Yeah I love hot rod astros"!
Did he just call me Andy?

And what about this: He used "ostensibly" - AND - "assuaged" in one Thread.

Is that OK ?????

:blah: :shrug:

LOL, Mike
Autocorrect changed "and" to "andy" for some reason. I plan on making this into a very mild hot rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.