New rear driveshaft, now front diff seems to be locking

Re: New rear driveshaft, now front diff seems to be locking

Postby impynyc » July 20th 2016, 4:09pm

I had same issue with my 2000 AWD astro. Straight driving no issues but when I made a tight turn the van would shake and the front wheels would bind. Turned out to be the transfer case. You could remove the front drive shaft or rebuild the transfer case. The broken transfer case cause damage to the front diff and axles. I was able to source a good front diff on ebay at a decent price. I had a transfer case from a 2007 Trailblazer SS which fit and bought new front axles and hubs. Drives and turns excellent now. Perfect solution for my needs and budget. I got to use some parts from the garage. The tb SS transfer case is very strong and is made for high performance. It should out last the stock unit. The only issue is that there is no provision to bolt up the torque arm from the engine.
My 2007 tb SS does not have any torque arm and is putting out over 480 hp
impynyc
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: impynyc has been a member for 4 full yearsimpynyc has been a member for 4 full yearsimpynyc has been a member for 4 full yearsimpynyc has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2003 Astro seems to be running fine except
    by markmitchmarkmitch is online! » October 18th 2020, 3:34pm in Engines
    5 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! View the latest post
    October 19th 2020, 10:08pm
  • Front diff punching hole in oil pan
    by Tegnus » September 11th 2020, 1:55am in 4WD,AWD And Transfer Case
    8 Replies
    Last post by Tegnus View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 7:53pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 3:29am

Postby Surfin Safari » July 20th 2016, 4:24pm

This is interesting to me because in my search for a later model AWD I ran across one on CL. I went to look at it and when I looked underneath to look for rust I noticed the drive shaft to the transfer case was missing. I mentioned this to the seller and told him that it is not an AWD any more. He said no its AWD. I had to show him that the driveshaft was missing. It also had the ABS light on. I wonder is this a common problem due to the owners not properly maintaining the transfer case? It seems that AWD problems precede ABS trouble. :confused:
Surfin Safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Surfin Safari has been a member for 4 full yearsSurfin Safari has been a member for 4 full yearsSurfin Safari has been a member for 4 full yearsSurfin Safari has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Noah
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby sixsix » July 20th 2016, 6:22pm

There ... see ... not everyone here is a Bore - some great advice, timely suggestions, prudent legaleze and sage insight for your NEXT VEHICLE PURCHASE & LAWYER PICKING.
Heed it , you "never ending group of connections".

infinitenexus wrote:
Coaster wrote:wow you give up quick. i suggest you quit while you're behind. maybe a Prius is in your future?
Thanks for the rude comment. It helped precisely nothing. Glad to see you're such an insightful and intelligent person

Rude ? Really ? I got your RUDE RIGHT HERE - Your mother wore combat boots.

Comment not helping ? Whaaaat ? Hell - It should - That comment probably will save you THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.
Have you read ANY of his Topics or Previous Threads / posts ?
Heck, his COMMENTS alone can kick your van's behind.

Now don't get me started ... we all know what happens "'round heah". :nono:
I make you READ for 30 minutes and force photos into your Eyes.

Mike out. ... :rockon:
Last edited by sixsix on July 20th 2016, 6:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby sixsix » July 20th 2016, 6:25pm

OOKKaaaaY - feeling much better now. Whewee.
Naptime.

Mike

PS: I wonder if he saw that his spacesaver spare has rotted around the Lug Holes & Seating Surfaces... Hmmm?
What's that? Haven't seen it in 10 years, ya' say? Better look...
I got a good story for later involving a Savana Cargo Van + The Spare + three dim wits.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Previous