rwd to awd

rwd to awd

Postby Captn.Crunch [OP] » June 15th 2017, 5:02pm

I did a search and didn't find anything so if I missed it please point me to it. My issue is my 99 awd Safari's rocker panels are GONE! I've been looking for a replacement but anything close and reasonable is suffering the same fate. Searching far from New England will net me some solid vans but awd is not very popular south of the snow belt. My question is what's to stop me from buying a solid rwd and putting my front awd clip under it? I was looking and there aren't a lot of wires to the tccm that don't come from the tc/tranny/4x4 switch. Wiring is my biggest weakness when it comes to wrenching but it'd be worth the effort to get a SOLID van under me for a change
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Detroit Truetrac Torsen rear diff w/3.73's
MFactory Torsen equipped front diff-iron
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Original Poster [OP]
Captn.Crunch
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Captn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4x4 TwinTorsen diffs

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • RWD to AWD Q's
    by Cantttype » August 10th 2020, 6:14am in 4WD,AWD And Transfer Case
    18 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    November 22nd 2020, 3:09pm
  • AWD to RWD.. how hard?
    by Alwaysneedhelp » August 16th 2020, 4:32pm in 4WD,AWD And Transfer Case
    9 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    August 17th 2020, 11:26am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 5:55pm

Re: rwd to awd

Postby 1lowcab » June 15th 2017, 5:38pm

How bad is the rust on the rockers? You could always cut it out and weld in new panels, it really is a lot easier then it sounds....trust me, I'm not a welder. lol!

I got my repair panels here https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-panels/ very nice, thick metal and made in the usa.
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroracer » June 15th 2017, 6:53pm

Doing the drivetrain swap is a no brainer. All you do is remove EVERYTHING from the donor van and swap it over to the new one. It's simply plug and play. If you take good notes and pictures while you are taking both vans apart it will be very straight forward.
Mark
1994 Astro with an LT1 350 (Ron Burgundy)
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1995 GMC Sierra (the show truck)
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1988 Astro (the BadAst Project
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
astroracer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): astroracer
Van Model Year: 1988
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Major renovation

Postby Captn.Crunch [OP] » June 15th 2017, 7:00pm

I've seen first hand what goes into fixing rusty rockers on these things and I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brushfire than go down that road. Mine are shot. There's just no way. I'll find something solid and get proactive. Prevention will be my motto!
And with all that being said I'm still trying to figure out just how tough it would be to roll my AWD clip under a RDW van?
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Original Poster [OP]
Captn.Crunch
Years of Membership: Captn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Captn.Crunch [OP] » June 15th 2017, 7:06pm

astroracer wrote:Doing the drivetrain swap is a no brainer. All you do is remove EVERYTHING from the donor van and swap it over to the new one. It's simply plug and play. If you take good notes and pictures while you are taking both vans apart it will be very straight forward.
Mark

That's what I'm thinking. My concerns being with the electronic tc control. Does the
tccm talk to the bcm or ecu? I'm fine with the great big pieces-it's those itty bitty things that find me scratching my..... head
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Original Poster [OP]
Captn.Crunch
Alias (AKA):

Postby The Drummer » June 15th 2017, 7:17pm

I have looked into that as well , as anything is possible ..., but it looked to be a lot of work i have never done before , i found a much easyer way to do it , i sold the rwd and bought an awd , much easyer beleive me :).
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby 1lowcab » June 15th 2017, 7:56pm

Here ya go! Arizona, rust free and AWD! https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6104703008.html
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astro Pop » June 15th 2017, 8:51pm

I know I've advocated many times here that CA Astros are completely rust free and are plentiful. It's just the expense of getting here and then driving it back. Depends on how dedicated you are to owning a clean Astro. In driving just to the local grocery, about 3 mi, I see 2 or 3 every time. Mostly large company vans, which says a lot about their reliability.
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby Captn.Crunch [OP] » June 15th 2017, 10:07pm

I'm very dedicated to finding a solid van-ask my friends-I drive them nuts! Had one in fla. lined up. AWD with leather needed a fuel pump $700. Sent them a deposit and called to tell them the transporter would b there in two days " sorry man my wife thought u were a scammer and sold the van to our neighbor."
"Dude-scammers don't wire you money!" :screaming:
The search and the research continue....
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Original Poster [OP]
Captn.Crunch
Alias (AKA):

Postby 1lowcab » June 15th 2017, 10:37pm

Heres some more, Nevada and cheap!
https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/6136048813.html
1lowcab
Alias (AKA):

Postby WimpTech » June 15th 2017, 11:24pm

How to Convert a RWD to AWD: by WimpTech

1) Loosen and remove gas cap.
2) Move out RWD from under cap
3) Move in AWD under cap
4) Tighten cap
5) Dispose of rust bucket in accordance with local regulations.
6) Crack open frosty beverage and celebrate!
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby Captn.Crunch [OP] » June 16th 2017, 1:02am

I'm thinking about pulling the wheels off it and planting a maple seedling in each wheelwell. Check back in 25-30 yrs
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Original Poster [OP]
Captn.Crunch
Alias (AKA):

Postby WimpTech » June 16th 2017, 10:05pm

Astro tree fort!
Saaay whaaaat?!
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift