Help! How to remove front axle seals?

Help! How to remove front axle seals?

Postby gavio [OP] » October 26th 2017, 2:19am

Well, while I have the front end apart I want to replce the seals on the front diff where the half shafts go..... Is there a slick way to do that? What tool to use? I already damaged one so I'm committed now, and frustrated as well.... Any help or tips appreciated....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Help! How to remove front axle seals?

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » October 26th 2017, 2:51am

I use a big pry bar.

Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby gavio [OP] » October 26th 2017, 3:46pm

Thanks.... I don't have one of those exactly, but I get the idea so I think I can improvise.....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » October 26th 2017, 6:02pm

They can be really tough to remove sometimes. I used a 3-jaw puller slide hammer combo loaner from Autozone, #33627026.

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/jaw-attachment-puller/oem-2-or-3-jaw-slide-hammer-puller-attachment-kit/69342_0_0

Maybe remember to tighten the nuts and bolts on the jaws before using, unlike me. :D

Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Captn.Crunch » October 26th 2017, 6:34pm

The drivers side seal is pressed into an inspection plate. This plate can easily be deformed during the removal/installation process. I suggest gmpartsdirect.com or your dealer for part # 12471587. This gets u a new plate with the seal installed. Don’t pull a Captn. crunch and have to pull the entire drivers side back out cause of a massive leak from the deformed plate!
Attachments
B81BCE27-64BC-4053-9CEC-21E4A0BD12A7.jpeg
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Detroit Truetrac Torsen rear diff w/3.73's
MFactory Torsen equipped front diff-iron
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Captn.Crunch
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Captn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 4x4 TwinTorsen diffs

Postby Rinny » October 26th 2017, 7:48pm

Captn.Crunch wrote:The drivers side seal is pressed into an inspection plate. This plate can easily be deformed during the removal/installation process. I suggest gmpartsdirect.com or your dealer for part # 12471587. This gets u a new plate with the seal installed. Don’t pull a Captn. crunch and have to pull the entire drivers side back out cause of a massive leak from the deformed plate!

If you do not want to buy the plate, remove the old one and press the seal our with a bench vise by using sockets of the correct size. The plate with the seal is cheap
03Astro AWD/4WD
5.7L+30,SS dual exhst,mild cam,Efan,CAintake
2100lb Springs,Jour Hangers/Shackles,3" Alum Blocks
TorsenDiffs,3:73'S,VettServo
NP236TC
Dual Piston Rear Calipers
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 56
Alias (AKA): 5.7L, NP236, 3"Lift
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.7L NP236

Postby TurnNburn » October 26th 2017, 8:46pm

If I can, I use a brass drift(if your worried about damaging the axle upon removal if your going to reuse it) other wise a normal steel drift will work. And a big-ish hammer. If you give it a good whack it will come out(without prying on the inspection plate). Don't be scared, you might have to hit it harder then you think
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby Mmusicman » October 26th 2017, 9:01pm

Capt Crunch has this EXACTLY!

However, if you want to swap the seal by re-using the plate like Rinny suggests, that will work too. That is how I did mine last time. But you MUST remove the plate regardless, or you will MOST likely damage it. The plate is thin, and the seal is VERY THICK AND STOUT, but can be hammered or pressed in or out on a flat surface. I successfully did mine on the concreted driveway.

The 1/2 shaft (CV axle) can be tapped out (of the differential) with a hammer. It's not too difficult, other than just getting a good enough spot to hit in an outward direction. The splined shaft is short, and may come out with the shaft, or not. It uses flexible clips, and is the same on BOTH ends.

The 1/2 shaft is strong.. I don't think you can hurt it reinstalling it. You many need to hit it farily hard on end to get it back into the differential. Be sure it is FULLY seated (it can be installed without being fully seated, and will give you trouble afterwards). Note how far in it is before you pull it.. essentially all the way in.

The new seals are quite stiff, and even lubed up may offer quite a bit of resistance when trying to reinstall the half shaft. Reusing the old shaft will likely go in fairly easy (gentle taps).. but a new one can be a bear!!

If you can get the replacement plate, you should!!! I couldn't find the part number at the time (I have it now). It seems Ebay has them for less than $30. I siliconed my old plate back in place, and was fortunate it didn't leak. :D
Last edited by Mmusicman on October 26th 2017, 9:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Rinny » October 26th 2017, 9:07pm

Mmusicman wrote:Capt Crunch has this EXACTLY!

However, if you want to swap the seal by re-using the plate like Rinny suggests, that will work too. That is how I did mine last time. But you MUST remove the plate regardless, or you will MOST likely damage it. The plate is thin, and the seal is VERY THICK AND STOUT, but can be hammered or pressed in or out on a flat surface. I successfully did mine on the concreted driveway.

The 1/2 shaft (CV axle) can be tapped out (of the differential) with a hammer. It's not too difficult, other than just getting a good enough spot to hit in an outward direction. The splined shaft is short, and may come out with the shaft, or not. It uses flexible clips, and is the same on BOTH ends.

The 1/2 shaft is strong.. I don't think you can hurt it reinstalling it. You many need to hit it farily hard on end to get it back into the differential. Be sure it is FULLY seated (it can be installed without being fully seated, and will give you trouble afterwards). Note how far in it is before you pull it.. essentially all the way in.

The new seals are quite stiff, and even lubed up may offer quite a bit of resistance when trying to reinstall the half shaft. Reusing the old shaft will likely go in fairly easy (gentle taps).. but a new one can be a bear!!

If you can get the replacement plate, you should!!! I couldn't find one. I siliconed my old plate back in place, and was fortunate it didn't leak. :D

MM and T&B Can you get the shaft out with out disconnecting the upper ball joint and tie rod end
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Mmusicman » October 26th 2017, 9:11pm

You can probably get the shaft out without removing the upper ball... IF you remove the HUB! Something has to give! I'm not sure which is more work... the upper ball joint is usually pretty easy. That's how I did mine. I did not need to separate the tie-rod end.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Rinny » October 26th 2017, 9:14pm

Mmusicman wrote:You can probably get the shaft out without removing the upper ball... IF you remove the HUB! Something has to give! I'm not sure which is more work... the upper ball joint is usually pretty easy. That's how I did mine. I did not need to separate the tie-rod end.

Cool beans crunch and I have to do his and any time we can save will help
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby TurnNburn » October 26th 2017, 10:01pm

Mmusicman wrote:You can probably get the shaft out without removing the upper ball... IF you remove the HUB! Something has to give! I'm not sure which is more work... the upper ball joint is usually pretty easy. That's how I did mine. I did not need to separate the tie-rod end.

:text-yeahthat:
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby Corsemoto » October 27th 2017, 3:28am

The second time I replaced the axle seals I removed the plate with seal too since the seal was in so tight. Reinstalled with sealant to be sure it wouldn't leak and it's been leak free for a few years now. If any of the c-clips on the stub axles look suspect, worth replacing now so don't have problems later.

Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby SportsBoy » April 27th 2018, 8:32pm

Corsemoto wrote:The second time I replaced the axle seals I removed the plate with seal too since the seal was in so tight. Reinstalled with sealant to be sure it wouldn't leak and it's been leak free for a few years now. If any of the c-clips on the stub axles look suspect, worth replacing now so don't have problems later.

I'm putting in a new axle and figure I may as well do the seal. Looks like getting the plate will make things easier. Would ultra black rtv work to seal the plate on, or do I need to get something else?
SportsBoy
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby WinnieVan » April 28th 2018, 8:11am

Just get a new plate with seal already installed.

Signed a guy who didn’t do that and now has weeping seals.

Although.. I think the weeping seals might come from using Suretrac CVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WinnieVan
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA):

Postby SportsBoy » April 28th 2018, 9:48pm

Oh, yeah sounds like a good idea - know if this has the seal already installed? - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3 ... D5MH&psc=1

Or know a link where I can buy the plate with a seal? Had a hard time finding the part as it was lol.

:ty:
SportsBoy
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years

Postby WinnieVan » April 28th 2018, 9:50pm

Yea it’s a bit of a pain to find but I’m pretty sure it only comes with the seal included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WinnieVan
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby SportsBoy » April 29th 2018, 7:19pm

Ah, ok - you just replaced the old plate and made your own seal? If so, then I gotcha now.

Thanks for the tip!
SportsBoy

Postby WinnieVan » April 30th 2018, 1:15am

Ya I used the old plate and pressed in a timken seal. Have a look in my build thread...it’s in there somewhere.

Like I said.. if I could do it again, I would have just bought the plate/seal together. I’m pretty sure that part number you found is exactly that.
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby SportsBoy » April 30th 2018, 2:08am

Got it, thanks! Also saw this on Gavio's older thread as a bit of a confirmation -
Rinny wrote:Need to be extremely careful when you put the 1/2 shaft into the seal. It is really a 2 man job. Use white lithium grease on the shaft and seal when inserting. If the 1/2 shafts have any pits on them they need to be smoothed out. Even the remans have to be smoothed out some times. If your plate is not leaking you are ok with it but frankly they are so inexpensive and come with the new seal in them.

From this thread - viewtopic.php?f=169&t=126402
SportsBoy

Next