brand new half shaft seals leaking...

brand new half shaft seals leaking...

Postby gavio [OP] » November 11th 2017, 9:07pm

Subtitle: I hate this van.....

So I replaced the halfshafts and seals while I had it aprt to do the front end rebuild, and I seriously regret it.... Honestly I wish I had left the old ones in - yeah they were leaking, but now I did all that work and they still leak....

I understand (now, after the fact) that I probably damaged the inspection plate on the drivers side, but why is the new seal on the passenger side leaking? It went in apparently perfectly without issue and seemd to seat fine and was a tight fit around the new halfshaft...

Grrrr.... I just want this nightmarish project behind me.....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: brand new half shaft seals leaking...

Postby Corsemoto » November 11th 2017, 9:17pm

It happens unfortunately, it happened the first time I replaced them on my van too.

You have to be careful when inserting the cv axle into the diff and new seal and also don't let the cv axle "hang" without support as that can distort the seal and cause leakage.

I used Timken seals the second time after using SKF the first time. I also replaced the cv axles with new ones the second time too and used just a bit of grease on the shaft to help ease installation. If you're reusing cv axles, be sure the shafts are free of rust, burrs, grooves and clean them up the best you can with scotchbrite or something similar.

Oh, and I just run a bit less gear oil in the front diff than specified to try and prevent leaks too and haven't had leaks since with doing all the above.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Rinny » November 11th 2017, 10:41pm

Need to be extremely careful when you put the 1/2 shaft into the seal. It is really a 2 man job. Use white lithium grease on the shaft and seal when inserting. If the 1/2 shafts have any pits on them they need to be smoothed out. Even the remans have to be smoothed out some times. If your plate is not leaking you are ok with it but frankly they are so inexpensive and come with the new seal in them.
03Astro AWD/4WD
5.7L+30,SS dual exhst,mild cam,Efan,CAintake
2100lb Springs,Jour Hangers/Shackles,3" Alum Blocks
TorsenDiffs,3:73'S,VettServo
NP236TC
Dual Piston Rear Calipers
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 56
Alias (AKA): 5.7L, NP236, 3"Lift
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.7L NP236

Postby gavio [OP] » November 12th 2017, 1:28am

Well, this front end rebuild project turned out to have an awful lot of little pitfalls in it.....I hope at some point it is actually done, cuz I have lost my heart for it..... I think I need to find somwone I can affrd to pay to do this for me or with me or something.....

Thanks for the insight y'all....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rinny » November 12th 2017, 2:40am

That is the way it goes my man. I should have used Velcro on my front end for as many times as I tore it apart and put it back together. I don't even have to think about it now. Stay on it and you will get it. It is difficult to find anyone that will take the time and care you will on your van. Take a deep breath, keep fluid in the diff and cardboard or a pc of plywood under it and attack it again when you can. You do not have to take the 1/2 shaft out of the wheel bearing to change the seals. unbolt the upper ball joint castle nut, pop it out, and prob disconnect the tie rod end. I have a lift which makes it easier but you can do it on the ground. Get help putting it together so you do not damage the seal. Make sure it is perfectly lined up when going back together. DO NOT RUN THE VAN IN GEAR WITH THE FRONT WHEELS HANGINH DOWN IT WILL WIPE OUT THE SEALS. You have to load the lower control arms on jack stands if you want to run the truck in gear. This means all four wheels obviously you cannot do it with the rear tires on the ground.
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years

Postby gavio [OP] » November 13th 2017, 6:54pm

I should have used Velcro on my front end for as many times as I tore it apart and put it back together.

Ha, I like that idea...... Or maybe some snaps and a bigassed zipper..... Thanks for the moral boost, I was feeling pretty overwhelmed - well really more like pissed off, and so tired of looking at this damn van......especially now that the rain has settled in.....

Taking a deep breath.....

Ordering more new parts.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » November 13th 2017, 9:01pm

We've all been there for sure, and I've had the front end apart several times on my van now as well trying to find a balance of lift, performance, ride quality, tire life and component longevity.

For instance, I found that polyurethane lower control arm bushings are decent and don't have as bad of binding issues like polyurethane upper control arm bushings on our AWD vans. Due to the design, the upper poly bushings get squished even more when torquing the cam bolts to spec which causes the severe binding. Even the tech support guy I spoke with at Energy Suspension didn't think they were the greatest design.

Since I'm not comfortable using a lower torque spec on the cam bolts due to having one loosen previously causing a serious alignment and driveability issue, I'd rather run quality rubber upper control arm bushings which means Moog Problem Solver though I'd prefer Clevite if I could ever find them for our application.

I did have to take the front end apart a few times to figure it out and had to do some prep work on the lower control arm subframe mounts to get a good clean, smooth and rust-free surface for the urethane bushings to be squeak free, along with a ton of Super Lube silicone lube.

It can be frustrating but it's also a great learning experience. Not always easy to remember that when you're into something for the second, third, fourth or fifth time though! :)
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » November 13th 2017, 11:04pm

I had the same problem with mine, I ended up using GM# 12471586 Seals and it still leaked but then again pretty much everything I attempt to repair leaks. So after another new seal and new half shaft it finally stopped leaking. :2:
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby 1lowcab » November 13th 2017, 11:13pm

I should have used Velcro on my front end for as many times as I tore it apart and put it back together.

I feel ya on that, I've had mine apart some many times I could do it blindfolded and one handed, lol!
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby WinnieVan » November 14th 2017, 12:05am

Rinny wrote:Need to be extremely careful when you put the 1/2 shaft into the seal. It is really a 2 man job. Use white lithium grease on the shaft and seal when inserting. If the 1/2 shafts have any pits on them they need to be smoothed out. Even the remans have to be smoothed out some times. If your plate is not leaking you are ok with it but frankly they are so inexpensive and come with the new seal in them.

Rinny -- as a complete noob about to attempt this repair -- what should the "two" people do? One support the CV axle while one pushes the CV axle into the diff?
WinnieVan
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rinny » November 14th 2017, 6:08pm

One guy lines it up and keeps it centered. I punched it in with a long drift on the shoulders made just for that and tapped it with a 3lb hammer. when it is seated you can tap it and make sure just go easy. Sorry for the delayed answer
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby 1lowcab » November 14th 2017, 6:24pm

Yeah for me it did take a lot of force and a few tries to get the drivers side in, make sure its all the way in too...it can fool you.
The passengers side went right in with no problem first shot.
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby WinnieVan » November 14th 2017, 6:26pm

Rinny wrote:One guy lines it up and keeps it centered. I punched it in with a long drift on the shoulders made just for that and tapped it with a 3lb hammer. when it is seated you can tap it and make sure just go easy. Sorry for the delayed answer

No problems dude. Glad I asked. Can you link the drift you used? I want to make sure I do this right the first time... I'll have a helper but I don't want to damage the CV axle when I place it!

Also -- another noob question... I assume once I pull the CV some differential fluid leak out of the case? Should I drain the case before doing this repair and then refill it once done?
WinnieVan
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio [OP] » November 14th 2017, 7:08pm

I punched it in with a long drift on the shoulders made just for that

The Trakmotive half shafts don't have those shoulders - the housing is round......

I installed them myself, and they were a *****, plus now they leak, so I can tell you, don't do it that way..... The end you insert is very heavy, and flops around like cooked noodles..... AND, the new ones slide onto the splines with great difficulty, and go over the clips with even more difficulty and slide inside the new seals with even more difficulty than that.....

Best of luck to you.....

And for what it's worth, mine didn't leak right at first - they saved that surprise for after I'd driven it a while and put all my tools back in storage and made plans to move on to other things - like getting the heck out of here and going somewhere sunny.,..,..

So after you get it together, hold your breath for a while.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Alias (AKA):

Postby WinnieVan » November 14th 2017, 7:17pm

gavio wrote:
I punched it in with a long drift on the shoulders made just for that

The Trakmotive half shafts don't have those shoulders - the housing is round......

I installed them myself, and they were a *****, plus now they leak, so I can tell you, don't do it that way..... The end you insert is very heavy, and flops around like cooked noodles..... AND, the new ones slide onto the splines with great difficulty, and go over the clips with even more difficulty and slide inside the new seals with even more difficulty than that.....

Best of luck to you.....

And for what it's worth, mine didn't leak right at first - they saved that surprise for after I'd driven it a while and put all my tools back in storage and made plans to move on to other things - like getting the heck out of here and going somewhere sunny.,..,..

So after you get it together, hold your breath for a while.....

Hrm... sounds like a PITA. Maybe I'll take Leeann's advice and go for the Napa remanns. That shoulder sounds like a nice thing to have... especially for a noob.
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rinny » November 14th 2017, 10:56pm

I use NAPA remans.
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby WinnieVan » November 14th 2017, 10:58pm

Rinny wrote:I use NAPA remans.

I'm going to go home tonight and verify that my half shafts don't have a nice place to drive with a drift. I might just ask TNB how he did his SureTracks... but I'm sure he didn't even really think about it since I imagine once you do this sort of job for a living you just "know" when it is in correctly!
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rinny » November 14th 2017, 11:16pm

WinnieVan wrote:

I'm going to go home tonight and verify that my half shafts don't have a nice place to drive with a drift. I might just ask TNB how he did his SureTracks... but I'm sure he didn't even really think about it since I imagine once you do this sort of job for a living you just "know" when it is in correctly!

The drive shoulder is not that big but it is enough to do what it is there for.
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby WinnieVan » November 15th 2017, 3:43am

Rinny wrote:
WinnieVan wrote:

The drive shoulder is not that big but it is enough to do what it is there for.

TNB. How did you ensure the axle was in all the way? I was hoping to use the shoulders... but there are no shoulders.

I was thinking of having my extra set of hands hold the cv axle straight, putting a hockey puck on the end of the hub-side and giving it a few good wacks with BFH.

Sound about right?

What about removing it if it is leaking? Slide hammer on the end of the axle?

Seems like the shoulder is not necessary but would sure serve the purpose of easing installation and removal... but I’ll leave that opinion for the master techs.. since there must be ways to deal with CVs that don’t have a shoulder to pound on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby WinnieVan » November 15th 2017, 5:42am

Well this might work if I need to pull out the Surtrack to fix a leaky seal!

WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Next