brand new half shaft seals leaking...

Re: brand new half shaft seals leaking...

Postby 1lowcab » November 15th 2017, 6:00am

To remove it just get a long drift punch and tap on the tripod housing, pops it right out.

Tap on those little indents, you can see them in this pic, its where the little yellow dot is on the inboard cv.

1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Rinny » November 15th 2017, 1:38pm

I use a couple of small crowbars to get them out. They usually come out as 1low said, "relatively easy".
03Astro AWD/4WD
5.7L+30,SS dual exhst,mild cam,Efan,CAintake
2100lb Springs,Jour Hangers/Shackles,3" Alum Blocks
TorsenDiffs,3:73'S,VettServo
NP236TC
Dual Piston Rear Calipers
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 56
Alias (AKA): 5.7L, NP236, 3"Lift
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 5.7L NP236

Postby WinnieVan » November 15th 2017, 4:19pm

Alright. Sounds like there are a few different ways... and 1lowcab there are no shoulders on the Suretracks, which makes that method not possible.

Crowbars could work... or I could just bite the bullet and return mine and go with Napa Remanns.

Gonna ask TNB how he seated his suretracks today in chat. I’ll fill in the details here if he doesn’t beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WinnieVan
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby 1lowcab » November 15th 2017, 4:28pm

which makes that method not possible.

That is really strange as that is the exact method they say to use in the FSM.
showGif.png
showGif.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Better check with tnb.....
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio [OP] » November 15th 2017, 5:22pm

The method shown in the FSM works great on the originals (I used a stick of wood), but the Suretrak/Trakmotive shafts have a round housing in place of the tripot housing, so it doesn't have a big shoulder like that, hence the issue..... In looking at mine, I'm pretty sure that the usual method will still work on the passenger side, it's only the driver's side that is difficult - reason being that there isn't room to get a good angle because it's stuck up pretty tight against the pumpkin..... When I removed the driver's side original, it was awkward even with the shoulders, though it worked.....

It appears to me that to get the Trakmotive shaft out, I will need one of the alternative methods mentioned, though maybe not..... Because the shaft is new, it took a lot of work to get it over the clip in the spline, so I'm guessing that coming out it will most likely pull out the stubby spline with it, since that clip and groove are older and "softer"....... I'm not especially looking forward to that project..... Good news is that it appears that my leak is perhaps not too severe, so I may hold off until I can stand looking at it again.....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby 1lowcab » November 15th 2017, 6:23pm

Suretrak/Trakmotive shafts have a round housing in place of the tripot housing

Now I'm really glad I went with leeanns recommendation on the Napa remans. :)
1lowcab
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rinny » November 15th 2017, 6:39pm

The drift method works fine to get the shafts out. I find that a small crow bar, the one with a hook on the end is even easier to pop them out if you use 2 about 18" long opposite each other it is pretty slick and they come rite out easy peasy. Lil bit of a PITA when the shafts come out with them, it happens no matter what method you use sometimes.
03Astro AWD/4WD
5.7L+30,SS dual exhst,mild cam,Efan,CAintake
2100lb Springs,Jour Hangers/Shackles,3" Alum Blocks
TorsenDiffs,3:73'S,VettServo
NP236TC
Dual Piston Rear Calipers
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 56
Alias (AKA): 5.7L, NP236, 3"Lift
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.7L NP236

Postby WinnieVan » November 15th 2017, 6:42pm

Oh well... I just got caught in a torrent of questions on RockAuto that made my SureTrack's non-returnable for some reason -- so I'm sticking with them! Plus -- Napa cannot source the CVs without some exorbitant shipping fees... so i'd be standing to loose $100 bucks or so after incorporating a RockAuto return and the high cost (w/ shipping) for NAPA.

I'll just take my time and make sure to place them carefully. Hopefully this is a one-and-done repair for me... but time will tell!

Plus -- I can keep my old ones, which are in decent shape. Maybe I'll have someone rebuild them so I have an extra set sitting around for a rainy day!

Go Forum! Even though I wish I had the remans.. I'm feeling way more prepared for this portion of the job!

Sorry for the thread-jack Gavio... but given that I'm like 2 months behind you on this job, I've been very interested!'

:ty: :ty: :ty:
WinnieVan
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 1lowcab » November 15th 2017, 6:51pm

You can always get this tool, makes it a breeze pulling axles...

1lowcab
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio [OP] » November 15th 2017, 7:11pm

Hopefully this is a one-and-done repair for me... but time will tell!

I'm hoping that for you, too..... What I've learned the hard way: Remove the inspection cover to do that seal, or just buy a new cover.... Use Timken seals..... Get help installing the new shafts, lube them, and make sure they go in perfectly straight.... Don't let them dangle, even for a moment - tie them up while you reach back to get the spindle...... Get rid of the van first, so you don't have to do this at all....

OK, sort of kidding on that last one.....

You can always get this tool, makes it a breeze pulling axles...

I seem to recall seeing a picture of that tool available on Oreilly's loaner tool program - didn't register what it was for..... I will get one of those for sure....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby WinnieVan » November 15th 2017, 8:11pm

1lowcab wrote:You can always get this tool, makes it a breeze pulling axles...

Beats spending an extra hundred bucks on a new set of CV axles. I'll keep this in mind if I find myself in a pinch!
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby vtstang66 » December 9th 2017, 6:09pm

I think I need to do this too. I see all the advice to get some help, 2nd set of hands, and I'm sure it's very sound advice.

But

Is it possible to do alone? Is there a way I could tie the heavy end up with string or something and drive it in myself, being veerrryyyyy careful, or does the nature of it just require a dedicated set of hands on the splined part and another set on the driving operation?
vtstang66
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: vtstang66 has been a member for 3 full yearsvtstang66 has been a member for 3 full yearsvtstang66 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Jason
Extra Info: LT AWD 2 in lift

Postby Mmusicman » December 9th 2017, 6:50pm

I did my alone.
Tapped out the shaft with piece of 2x4 and hammer (the tool isn't necessary).
Came out relatively easy... couple easy taps and it came right out.

Pulling differential plate was very easy.. installed seal, and silicone plate back in place.
I would have preferred to buy a plate and not use silicone.

New shaft was a bit more difficult getting it to seat and snap into place fully.. the new seal was very stiff. Tapped it into place (with a little more force) with hammer.

Be sure it is fully seated! It IS possible to reassemble everything with shaft not fully seated (since the shaft flexes), which could potentially have disastrous results.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby gavio [OP] » December 9th 2017, 6:55pm

Well,anything is possible.... The issues are that the splines end is very heavy and really would rather flop down at the axle end than slide straight into the seal....Combine that with the fact that it will be very stiff and will need to be jammed onto the spline more than merely slid and it's quite a handful.... Tying it up did not work for me....

Best wishes whatever way you go....

I just got the van back from paying a mechanic to replace the seals for me, I kind of liked that method...I just wasn't ready to crawl back under there....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mmusicman » December 9th 2017, 8:30pm

I did tie up the outside of the shaft (since I did mine alone), but ONLY to hold it in place so I could hammer it back in straight! I used the old nut (partially screwed on but sticking out slightly past threads).. and whacked it with a small sledge hammer, to drive the shaft fully back in (you don't want to damage the threads or the new nut). The shaft is plenty tough! Worked fine for me.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby albrow100 » December 11th 2017, 3:37am

do the suretrack axles hold up better for lifter vans? they look like they would
this is the 1st thread i've seen them mentioned
albrow100
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: albrow100 has been a member for 4 full yearsalbrow100 has been a member for 4 full yearsalbrow100 has been a member for 4 full yearsalbrow100 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: awd

Previous