Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Front Driveshaft Play and Clunking/Sounds While Driving

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SportsBoy 
#1 ·
So, the van is driving again, but has a significant clunk/cyclical noise that happens when driving - the faster I go the worse it is pretty much. Here's a video of the front driveshaft before it goes into the differential - this isn't normal right? Would anyone say this isn't the cause? We definitely messed with it trying to get the driveshaft off for the transmission job.

Might have to go grab a new shaft from a salvage yard today.

Thanks for the help! So close to this thing driving normally again, then I can do some noob writeups on the 300 things I did wrong.

#6 ·
Well, to my surprise the shipping from Maine was free, so I bought that one.

it arrived today, and looks pretty much new, and has u-joints with zerks - score!

But it looks different than my old one - looks like it's the same length or maybe 1/4in shorter. Though the end flanges are different, the bolt holes line up. I guess they both have 2 u-joints, but they are just put in different places. Does this affect anything? Or will this be fine and I should just put it in once it dries up outside?
IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

#9 ·
TurnNburn said:
if it fits, it ships
1lowcab said:
It should be fine. And an extra bonus, you get to get rid of that double cardan joint!
Sweet.
Yeah, having the u-joints separate looks way less intimidating than that double configuration on the original shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.