How hard is it to convert a 2002 RWD to AWD?

How hard is it to convert a 2002 RWD to AWD?

Postby tungtide [OP] » September 14th 2018, 4:08pm

Astro fever has set in, It may become safari pox before long. My question is> If you find a cream puff, but it's 2 wheel drive. ( say an 2002 with only 12 K miles on it ( garage kept ) can you make it into a 4x4?? and if so how many dollars will it take?? It's only an ad at this point so I don't know, but I'm assuming it's rear wheel drive. also I haven't called it could be a mis-print. My wife will have a cow if I pull the trigger, but how many of these come up? The ad says 5900.00 it's a match to the one I have now other than being 2wd. Thanks in advance!!
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • AWD to RWD.. how hard?
    by Alwaysneedhelp » August 16th 2020, 4:32pm in 4WD,AWD And Transfer Case
    9 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    August 17th 2020, 11:26am
  • RWD to AWD Q's
    by Cantttype » August 10th 2020, 6:14am in 4WD,AWD And Transfer Case
    18 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    November 22nd 2020, 3:09pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 3:26pm

Re: cream puff

Postby TurnNburn » September 14th 2018, 4:41pm

Its going to require a whole subframe from an AWD to make it work. Which for the record, is not easy to pull off. Not to mention swapping all of the steering and suspension components. You are looking at probably 20 hours or work ahead of you IF you knew what you were doing. Perhaps days if you don't... not to mention you have to have the allusive subframe, aaaaand on top of that you need the awd transmission, the t case, and both drive shafts. Basically you need a whole donor car to make it cost affective.

I have done it, so yes, it can be done, but it is technician level 9 to pull it off
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Re: cream puff

Postby tungtide [OP] » September 14th 2018, 5:38pm

I was afraid of that. Thanks turn and burn. for any who might be looking I'll mention it in classifieds. auto trader Cincinnati.
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Re: How hard is it to convert a 2002 RWD to AWD?

Postby deeiche » October 7th 2018, 7:45pm

IF you wanted to do it best is to find a same year donor AWD. Better yet, just sell the RWD and buy a good AWD, you will be happy you did.

Having said that we are in the final steps of converting a 1989 Provan Tiger to AWD using a donor 1992 GMC Safari. I did not want to sell my Tiger, just went through a compete interior renovation a couple of years ago, also AWD TIgers fetch high $$.

Converting from 92 to 89 is a huge task, I would recommend no one do it. :doh:
deeiche
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: deeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: Provan Tiger

Postby AstroWill » October 7th 2018, 7:52pm

deeiche wrote:Converting from 92 to 89 is a huge task, I would recommend no one do it. :doh:

Why is that?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby deeiche » October 7th 2018, 9:29pm

AstroWill wrote:
deeiche wrote:Converting from 92 to 89 is a huge task, I would recommend no one do it. :doh:

Why is that?

89 is throttle body, vacuum assist brake and steering
92 is CPFI, hydroboost brake and steering, also ABS.

So it is a lot more work than going from same year RWD to AWD. Of course it can be done. I'm hoping to have my 1989 AWD Provan Tiger on the road some day.
deeiche
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: deeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » October 7th 2018, 9:37pm

deeiche wrote:
AstroWill wrote:

Why is that?

89 is throttle body, vacuum assist brake and steering
92 is CPFI, hydroboost brake and steering, also ABS.

So it is a lot more work than going from same year RWD to AWD. Of course it can be done. I'm hoping to have my 1989 AWD Provan Tiger on the road some day.

Oh, you were changing the engine as well. Gotcha, could run the 89s TBI on the 92 engine. Would love to see pictures before, during and after :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby deeiche » October 8th 2018, 2:13pm

AstroWill wrote:Oh, you were changing the engine as well. Gotcha, could run the 89s TBI on the 92 engine. Would love to see pictures before, during and after :)

yes, I wanted the "newer" tech provided by the 92. In retrospect it makes more sense to use the opportunity to upgrade engine and transfer case. I have a low miles 2001 GMC Yukon sitting in the yard with the Vortec 5300 which I thought about using, but I didn't find it until after a lot of the 89 to 92 heavy lifting had occurred.
deeiche
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » October 8th 2018, 2:53pm

Then again, if it's your first time with the conversion it's all good experience. Sometimes better to do it one bite at a time instead of trying to eat the whole pie at once.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director