Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

front axle seals which brand lasts?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  albrow100 
#1 ·
My front axle seals are leaking again on my 1997 safari with 1 1/2in torsion lift (and 2 in spacers)
this set lasted 3000 miles I used Timken seals and I'm pretty sure I've installed them properly (ase certified master tech)
my last set leaked after 2000 miles also Timken brand

Is this normal for lifted vans? should I try ac delco? or national

the bearing on the ends of the axle tubes appear fine, but were not replaced when the front end was rebuilt
there doesn't seem to be any abnormal looseness up/down with the axles

c/v axles are napa brand and are fairly new with the seal surface in good shape

I'm getting real quick at these!

#5 ·
I haven't had any luck keeping my 100% sealed. replaced these seals 3 times now. Even replaced axles. It stays dry for a couple of thousand miles, and its better then its ever been now, but it still seeps eventually.

#7 ·
I haven't tried to replace the needle bearing there is one on both ends correct?
My diff bearing kit didn't come with the right ones. maybe I'll do that too and use the oem seal you listed

TurnNburn Mine don't leak a whole bunch, they just get wet at 1st and start to form a drip every once in a while on longer drives
I have to top off every 1000 miles or so which is a pain on road trips
I wonder if the modified cv angles is causing some of this

the seal seems like a poor design compared to others I've seen and has no dust boot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.