Manual AWD switch???

Manual AWD switch???

Postby Onthewater01 [OP] » May 13th 2019, 2:55am

Has anyone ever tried switching the the AWD manually? You know a switch on the dash to manually activate the AWD transfer case? Or is this just a dumb idea?

I have to believe someone has tried this...
Onthewater01

2005 Astro AWD...work in progress
1995 Astro AWD ...gone but not forgotten
1989 Astro RWD....gone and long forgotten!
Original Poster [OP]
Onthewater01
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Onthewater01 has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Onthewater01
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2nd Gen AWD Manual Lock
    by TotoPatron » June 20th 2020, 8:02pm in 4WD,AWD And Transfer Case
    0 Replies
    Last post by TotoPatron View the latest post
    June 20th 2020, 8:02pm
  • Manual Mirror to Replace a Power Mirror?
    by GodIsBed » October 7th 2020, 1:10am in Exterior
    6 Replies
    Last post by GodIsBed View the latest post
    October 24th 2020, 5:01am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 6:07am

Re: Manual AWD switch???

Postby Mmusicman » May 13th 2019, 3:07am

It's a great idea... it's been discussed on numerous occasions.. it could be easily done.. but as far as I know it can't reliably be done, and no one has done it. I almost wired mine manually.

The encoder motor that physically engages the AWD uses a PWM (pulse width modulated) signal. There are two main wires that feed it (from the controller).. they are easily accessible in the DS kick panel. It's feasible that this connection could be interrupted though a manual relay.. but it is also likely that continuous 12vdc would burn up the encoder motor. It would definitely give you manual AWD.. but for how long? It is also unclear how the clutch packs would react to a steady signal vs pulse-width modulated signal... but my guess this is probably not an issue.

I'm still waiting for the day when someone connects 12v to an old encoder motor to see how long it will last.

Of course if someone wanted to get clever, I see no reason why you could devise a a manual circuit that duplicates the PWM that the controller sends.

If you want manual 4x4... I highly recommend the bolt-on replacement NP233C transfer case! No clutches to go bad.. no controller to go bad.. no sensors to go bad.. no encoder motor to go bad.. just pull a lever and pure manual 4x4 operation... hi and lo range too. The conversion is fairly simple and inexpensive, completely bolt-on... and 100% rock solid. :D
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Onthewater01 [OP] » May 13th 2019, 3:31am

Pulse width...interesting....like maybe hook up a 110v inverter, then a transformer to drop it back down to 24v a.c., then run it through a rectifier to to clip the sine wave to 12v d.c. pulses???
Onthewater01

Original Poster [OP]
Onthewater01
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby AstroWill » May 13th 2019, 8:25pm

Wut?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Mmusicman » May 13th 2019, 11:41pm

Perhaps....
Here's more.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2U8mWREjok
and more.. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pulse+width+m ... tor&ia=web

Maybe YOU will be the first! :D
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years

Postby Captn.Crunch » May 14th 2019, 12:35am

If you want to lock your tc I think your best bet is to use the encoder motor from the np236. It bolts right up to our np136. The 236 encoder has an electric brake that locks the clutch pack in the engaged position. Figure out how to wire it and I think you’ll be good
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Detroit Truetrac Torsen rear diff w/3.73's
MFactory Torsen equipped front diff-iron
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Captn.Crunch
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Captn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4x4 TwinTorsen diffs

Postby MechBob » May 14th 2019, 12:58am

Captn.Crunch wrote:If you want to lock your tc I think your best bet is to use the encoder motor from the np236. It bolts right up to our np136. The 236 encoder has an electric brake that locks the clutch pack in the engaged position. Figure out how to wire it and I think you’ll be good

I think you are right in application,wrong in theory.I think the 236 case has spring loaded detents on the shift shaft.It may very well have a "electric brake" built into the motor,but I doubt it.I may research it later,just not of high importance to me right now,lol.
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby Onthewater01 [OP] » May 14th 2019, 1:26am

Not of high importance with me right now either, but I am amazed at all the innovation and knowledge I see on this site, and I'm just surprised nobody has done it yet! :ugeek:
Onthewater01

Original Poster [OP]
Onthewater01
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby MechBob » May 14th 2019, 1:37am

Onthewater01 wrote:Not of high importance with me right now either, but I am amazed at all the innovation and knowledge I see on this site, and I'm just surprised nobody has done it yet! :ugeek:

Why? The factory system works very well,responds quickly.Modify it,and gonna have PCM code problems. 99% of drivers do not need that type of mod. Any serious off road people will change out the transfer case,anyway. I have a 99 astro to build,if I do anything, I will probably put in an older BW awd t case,would suit my needs up here in the mountains.
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years

Postby Mmusicman » May 14th 2019, 2:50am

Personally, I can see the desire for a manual lockup (considering this question has come up on more than one occasion, and I considered it myself)... but whether it is practical, possible, or even necessary is another issue. I guess the idea of having to spin the tires to get the AWD to engage might bother some. Of course that is the beauty of AWD.. that you never have to manually engage it that split second that it is needed. Yes the ultimate is to have the choice of manual and/or automatic engagement, PLUS with hi and lo gear option. Apparently this is done on other vehicles, but not an easy mod on the Astro.

When I was still running my AWD, I actually had my kick panel apart, the wires identified, I temporarily tested it... had the relays and switch ready for install. But I never followed though.. knowing I might unintentionally burn up my encoder motor when I needed it the most. It was that fateful day when I couldn't pull a load off road with my AWD in the soft sand that I realized not only that I wanted manual 4x4 control.. but I also needed 4-LO range as well. Now with the NP233C... my system is completely reliable, fool-proof, and unstoppable, which suits "my" needs.

But it is NO longer an AWD.
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Mmusicman » May 14th 2019, 2:56am

This is my NP233C manual 4x4 (in lo-range) upgrade.. pulling 5000lbs slightly uphill in soft sand on a construction site... NO MORE messing around! Just pull the manual 4x4 shifter lever and go! :mrgreen:

Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby MechBob » May 14th 2019, 3:11am

What a way to hijack a thread.
MechBob

Postby Mmusicman » May 14th 2019, 3:18am

MechBob wrote:What a way to hijack a thread.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

But I think we're on the same page.. if you want "manual" operation.. then a manual transfer case is the better way to go!

I still however, want to see someone do the manual AWD switch!
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Captn.Crunch » May 14th 2019, 1:53pm

MechBob wrote:
Captn.Crunch wrote:If you want to lock your tc I think your best bet is to use the encoder motor from the np236. It bolts right up to our np136. The 236 encoder has an electric brake that locks the clutch pack in the engaged position. Figure out how to wire it and I think you’ll be good

I think you are right in application,wrong in theory.I think the 236 case has spring loaded detents on the shift shaft.It may very well have a "electric brake" built into the motor,but I doubt it.I may research it later,just not of high importance to me right now,lol.

The 136 and the 236 are identical with the exception of low range. Ive had them apart side by side. The encoder motors are same size and shape and will cross over. The number of wires differ due to the lock circuit on the 236.( see diagram).
If you want to lock in the AWD feature of your 136, get a 236 encoder motor and a four button transfer case switch. If you’re good with wiring schematics, it shouldn’t take too much to figure out. The 4auto button is our AWD. Both 4hi and 4lo will lock the clutch pack in. 2hi will lock it out. No there won’t be any fuel savings there.
I spent a lot of time looking at all of this. I was the first person to do the 236 swap. racrz7 was the first to get it all wired right. I looked at what we are discussing but dismissed it due it’s limited use in real life. The 236 swap gave me a all of what we are talking about and more so if you’re gonna mod - mod with no limits
Attachments
583AE893-04A0-42D3-8657-6F73E682BE0D.jpeg
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Captn.Crunch
Years of Membership: Captn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Captn.Crunch » May 14th 2019, 5:15pm

MechBob wrote:

BTW Mechbob if you think I may be wrong then please feel free to research and enlighten us all. A couple of I thinks followed by an i doubt it and an I couldn’t be bothered makes for a pretty useless addition to the conversation
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Captn.Crunch
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » May 14th 2019, 7:06pm

I can see a use case for it. Mom's lawn, you don't want to wait until it slips a little before going to AWD, but prefer AWD over 4WD.

Makes sense to me. Would be nice if you would flip a switch or a momentary push button.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby Mmusicman » May 15th 2019, 1:16am

Hey!!! I might have just thought of a simple ingenious way to manually activate your AWD... simply interrupt one of the driveshaft speed sensors and see if this fools the controller into activating your AWD for you.

I suppose an easy way to test would be to unplug one, and see what happens.

Save the applause! :lol:
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby MechBob » May 15th 2019, 2:52am

Mmusicman wrote:
MechBob wrote:What a way to hijack a thread.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

But I think we're on the same page.. if you want "manual" operation.. then a manual transfer case is the better way to go!

I still however, want to see someone do the manual AWD switch!

LOL I was being ornery!
MechBob

Postby MechBob » May 15th 2019, 2:53am

Captn.Crunch wrote:
MechBob wrote:

The 136 and the 236 are identical with the exception of low range. Ive had them apart side by side. The encoder motors are same size and shape and will cross over. The number of wires differ due to the lock circuit on the 236.( see diagram).
If you want to lock in the AWD feature of your 136, get a 236 encoder motor and a four button transfer case switch. If you’re good with wiring schematics, it shouldn’t take too much to figure out. The 4auto button is our AWD. Both 4hi and 4lo will lock the clutch pack in. 2hi will lock it out. No there won’t be any fuel savings there.
I spent a lot of time looking at all of this. I was the first person to do the 236 swap. racrz7 was the first to get it all wired right. I looked at what we are discussing but dismissed it due it’s limited use in real life. The 236 swap gave me a all of what we are talking about and more so if you’re gonna mod - mod with no limits

Nice,good info.
MechBob

Postby AstroWill » May 15th 2019, 8:35pm

Interrupting the signal from the front prop shaft sensor could work without interfering with the ABS system.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Next