Found a NP236 local for cheap, I have questions

Found a NP236 local for cheap, I have questions

Postby joeg [OP] » August 22nd 2019, 6:03pm

Ok, so I stumbled across a NP236 that was taken off a crashed vehicle and said to be working fine. They don't know how many miles are on it.

It's stupid-cheap and just down the street from me, so it seems like a pretty good gamble. Here are my questions:

1) How much should it cost if I bring it somewhere to have it rebuilt?
2) I've watched videos of how to rebuild them yourself. Everything just kind of snaps into place? Do you need any special tools or knowledge? Looks like the rebuild kits are around $100
3) If I installed it now, with my current encoder motor, would it function like my current np136 until I can track down the tccm, wiring harness, switch, etc and figure out how to wire it all up?

Does swapping the encoder motor require draining the fluid?

I could just use it as-is and hope for the best, but if rebuilding isn't too expensive or I can do it myself, I was thinking I might as well swap in the np246 parts like this: http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopi ... 58&t=10182
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: joeg has been a member for 4 full yearsjoeg has been a member for 4 full yearsjoeg has been a member for 4 full yearsjoeg has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Found a NP236 local for cheap, I have questions

Postby Captn.Crunch » August 23rd 2019, 2:19am

Yes you can use the 236 and the 136 encoder motor. I’ve done it for over a year and it’s same/same. There is nothing but basic hand tools required to take these things apart other than snap ring pliers IIRC. Upgrade to 246 parts is a great move/why go back to stock?
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Detroit Truetrac Torsen rear diff w/3.73's
MFactory Torsen equipped front diff-iron
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Captn.Crunch
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Captn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4x4 TwinTorsen diffs

Postby joeg [OP] » August 23rd 2019, 4:36am

Captn.Crunch wrote:Yes you can use the 236 and the 136 encoder motor. I’ve done it for over a year and it’s same/same. There is nothing but basic hand tools required to take these things apart other than snap ring pliers IIRC. Upgrade to 246 parts is a great move/why go back to stock?

I got it for $50 today... it actually has the encoder motor as a bonus, though I wonder if maybe I should get a new one anyway when I'm ready to wire up the new TCCM since they're prone to fail.

I'll take pics tomorrow in the light. Can I just hit this thing with degreaser and rinse it down, or do I have to watch out not to get water in/on anything since it's not connected to the drivetrain?

It was a transmission shop/auto salvager... They quoted me 225 for labor, plus a little over 100 for the rebuild kit, so like 325-350 total for a rebuild. Seems like a fair price, but I'm thinking I might give it a go on my own since everyone says its straight forward. The youtube videos make it look pretty do-able too. Then I can try to hunt down the 246 internals for cheap and beef it up.
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Years of Membership: joeg has been a member for 4 full yearsjoeg has been a member for 4 full yearsjoeg has been a member for 4 full yearsjoeg has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Birdshake » August 23rd 2019, 4:41am

Captn.Crunch wrote:Yes you can use the 236 and the 136 encoder motor. I’ve done it for over a year and it’s same/same. There is nothing but basic hand tools required to take these things apart other than snap ring pliers IIRC. Upgrade to 246 parts is a great move/why go back to stock?

Doesn’t the 236 motor have 8 more wires than the 136 motor? How did you wire them so the 136 motor worked?

I too have a 236 sitting here. Wondering if I should rebuild it with 246 parts or just install it. I’ve got most of the wiring already sorted out.
2005 4WD Astro Cargo
NP236 3.73 Eaton Posi
S10 HD Springs 3" blocks
245/75/16 BFG KO2
KYB Monomax
Birdshake
Years of Membership: Birdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby joeg [OP] » August 23rd 2019, 4:47am

Birdshake wrote:

Doesn’t the 236 motor have 8 more wires than the 136 motor? How did you wire them so the 136 motor worked?

I too have a 236 sitting here. Wondering if I should rebuild it with 246 parts or just install it. I’ve got most of the wiring already sorted out.

The thread I posted about it made it sound like a big overkill to use the 246 parts, but my thinking is that if you're taking it apart and putting it back together again, if you can find the 246 parts inexpensively, there's no good reason not to put it back together better than before. However, if the 246 parts prove to be expensive, it does seem like it might be an unnecessary upgrade. I honestly don't really know for sure.

I don't know if anyone ever "blew" a transfer case before the tranny gave out, lol.
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby joeg [OP] » August 23rd 2019, 8:38pm

I just noticed this on page 8 of that thread. It basically puts that whole thread into a how-to:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0nPjK ... sp=sharing

Should prove extremely useful to anyone doing this.

In the 236/246 hybrid setup, which rebuild kit would you purchase? The 236 kit or the 246 kit?
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby Captn.Crunch » August 23rd 2019, 11:48pm

joeg wrote:
Birdshake wrote:

Doesn’t the 236 motor have 8 more wires than the 136 motor? How did you wire them so the 136 motor worked

The np236 encoder motor does have more wiring but you can use the encoder motor from the 136 on the 236 and using the 236 as a stock replacement for your 136 for AWD. If you want to install the 236 and access the multiple ranges such as 2hi 4hi 4lo and 4auto here is the link for wiring up the np236 tc

http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopi ... ring+np236
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Detroit Truetrac Torsen rear diff w/3.73's
MFactory Torsen equipped front diff-iron
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Captn.Crunch
Years of Membership: Captn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4x4 TwinTorsen diffs

Postby joeg [OP] » August 24th 2019, 12:09am

Captn.Crunch wrote:Doesn’t the 236 motor have 8 more wires than the 136 motor? How did you wire them so the 136 motor worked

The np236 encoder motor does have more wiring but you can use the encoder motor from the 136 on the 236 and using the 236 as a stock replacement for your 136 for AWD. If you want to install the 236 and access the multiple ranges such as 2hi 4hi 4lo and 4auto here is the link for wiring up the np236 tc

http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopi ... ring+np236

I realize now I forgot to post the link to that thread, I posted the PDF from it a few posts above. I only posted the hybrid thread.

So I think the best bet would be to install the 236 with the 236 shift motor, switch my harness from 2pin to 4pin and just wire the original 2 wires until I can get to wiring everything else up and swap the tccm later. Otherwise I have to swap the shift motor again when I'm ready to finish the wiring.
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby joeg [OP] » August 24th 2019, 12:56am

I'm a bit of a tech nerd, so I like making wiring adapters rather than cutting OEM harnesses.

Incase anyone else likes this, here is what I believe the connector to be on the np136 shift motor:
Delphi Metri-Pack 280, 2way, male
https://www.automotive-connectors.com/f ... gtail.html

This is the np136 shift motor:

So I'll just solder/heat shrink this pigtail to the 2 corresponding pins on the 4pin pigtail. Then the np236 is just plug and play (minus the ability to shift it).
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby joeg [OP] » August 24th 2019, 1:54am

Interestingly enough, I think I stumbled over an alternate part number for a harness that fits the 236 motor.

I think it's the part number for the np246 which uses an identical motor to the 236.
GM 15305995
ACDELCO PT1127
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 82&jsn=768

if some of you are having trouble locating a donor vehicle in your local boneyards, or they're picked over like mine, I believe this would work. If I end up buying one, I'll update the thread and confirm.

for reference, this is what plugs into it:

And this is the 236 part number info:
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby joeg [OP] » August 24th 2019, 8:18am

I'm thinking of using this for the 8 wires from the TCCM to the TC and the 8 wires from the TC to the switch. Is 20AWG big enough? I can't seem to find what gauge the oem wires are anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Round-Signal-Tin ... th=1&psc=1
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby joeg [OP] » August 24th 2019, 7:56pm

Would something like this work? Strangely enough, I don't already have a snap ring pliers, which is probably why every job I should have had one for was harder than it had to be.

https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-7-Inch-I ... way&sr=8-9
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby joeg [OP] » August 25th 2019, 5:27pm

Here's a pic. Haven't had a chance to clean it:

Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby Birdshake » August 28th 2019, 6:32pm

joeg wrote:I'm thinking of using this for the 8 wires from the TCCM to the TC and the 8 wires from the TC to the switch. Is 20AWG big enough? I can't seem to find what gauge the oem wires are anywhere.

The great thing about the Gm techline is the schematics for the donor vehicles these TC's come from. The numbers next to the wire colour is the metric gauge.

Generally is goes like this:
English Gauge (GA.) 24 22 20 18 16 14 12 10
Metric Gauge (MM) 0.22 0.35 0.5 0.8 1.0 2.0 3.0 6.0

So that 20AWG wire should be fine.
Attachments
NP236 2005 BLAZER ENCODR MTR.PNG
2005 4WD Astro Cargo
NP236 3.73 Eaton Posi
S10 HD Springs 3" blocks
245/75/16 BFG KO2
KYB Monomax
Birdshake
Years of Membership: Birdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby joeg [OP] » August 28th 2019, 6:35pm

Birdshake wrote:
joeg wrote:I'm thinking of using this for the 8 wires from the TCCM to the TC and the 8 wires from the TC to the switch. Is 20AWG big enough? I can't seem to find what gauge the oem wires are anywhere.

The great thing about the Gm techline is the schematics for the donor vehicles these TC's come from. The numbers next to the wire colour is the metric gauge.

Generally is goes like this:
English Gauge (GA.) 24 22 20 18 16 14 12 10
Metric Gauge (MM) 0.22 0.35 0.5 0.8 1.0 2.0 3.0 6.0

So that 20AWG wire should be fine.

Awesome! I had no idea. Thanks!

I just got a TCCM with wiring harnesses, took it apart yesterday and cleaned all the contacts, cleaned up the metal casing. This is starting to come together!

IMG_7221.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby joeg [OP] » August 28th 2019, 8:10pm

joeg wrote:Interestingly enough, I think I stumbled over an alternate part number for a harness that fits the 236 motor.

I think it's the part number for the np246 which uses an identical motor to the 236.
GM 15305995
ACDELCO PT1127
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 82&jsn=768

if some of you are having trouble locating a donor vehicle in your local boneyards, or they're picked over like mine, I believe this would work. If I end up buying one, I'll update the thread and confirm.

for reference, this is what plugs into it:

And this is the 236 part number info:

Ok, the encoder motor harness arrived. I can now confirm that
GM 15305995
ACDELCO PT1127

is the same as 12191399. Good news for anyone who can't find the wiring in a junkyard. I'll post a pic of the harness adapter once the other end arrives. It plugged right into the 236 encoder motor plug.

I received the switch today and gave it a good cleaning, though it didn't really need it:
IMG_7222.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
joeg
Alias (AKA):

Postby scorean » December 1st 2019, 7:52pm

Captn.Crunch,

Do you think it's possible to wire up the 246 using this same schematic? Also, can you convert the 236 to a manual shift and just not use the AWD function?
scorean
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: scorean has been a member for 4 full yearsscorean has been a member for 4 full yearsscorean has been a member for 4 full yearsscorean has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): Sam
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD