Tricky bolt

Tricky bolt

Postby tungtide [OP] » July 9th 2020, 9:29pm

What’s the trick to getting the center bottom bolt/nut out of the np 136? Also to take the cross member off do I first need to relieve the torsion bars? No pics today.
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Tricky bolt

Postby dcsleeper » July 9th 2020, 9:42pm

use a stand and remove the trans mount, then put it back temporarily when the bottom bolt has been removed
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

[quote="97cargocrawler"] Reading this thread makes me wanna pound nails into my dick./quote]
dcsleeper
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Postby tungtide [OP] » July 9th 2020, 9:55pm

Thanks great plan, wish I would have seen that. What about the cross member and the torsion bars. It’s all coming out. Thanks in advance.
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years

Postby tungtide [OP] » July 12th 2020, 9:47pm

Np 136 out. Seems the 136 has a brace the 233 does not. Do I just loose the brace when. Installing the 233? Need a 6 inch T 20 torx to remove shifting motor. Hurray another tool in the box. Tomorrow.
Attachments
53FD8B50-8708-4F86-AD12-BD3344711C5C.jpeg
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide

Postby dcsleeper » July 12th 2020, 10:57pm

Lose the brace.
Jelly of your garage.
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

[quote="97cargocrawler"] Reading this thread makes me wanna pound nails into my dick./quote]
dcsleeper
Alias (AKA):

Postby tungtide [OP] » July 18th 2020, 10:53pm

BDE89AEF-F75A-492B-B587-D3738FBFE6DE.jpeg
I have trouble posting, please be patient
207842DF-C702-4054-AE19-F50F960D0EDB.jpeg
Mock up of semi finished linkage
207842DF-C702-4054-AE19-F50F960D0EDB.jpeg
Mock up of semi finished linkage
Had some time today to fiddle with the project. Music Mans thread is helpful. I opted to go with the simple non cable shift linkage. I have steel, but no cable. Here is what I cobbled together.
Attachments
9EF2B24E-64CD-4DED-98AF-C5B6349FAE9E.jpeg
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide

Postby tungtide [OP] » July 18th 2020, 11:03pm

I keep trying
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide

Postby Mmusicman » July 18th 2020, 11:33pm

That's a pretty sweet looking bar you welded there!
Did you use part of the original encoder motor?
I didn't have a welding machine handy.. so mine was fitted and bolted on.
I imagine just about every different way you can think of to attach that arm has been done!

Very clever design... looks GREAT!!! :D

PS: What was your reason for pulling the torsion bar support?
Not necessary for a transfer-case swap.

Yes I lost the support arms that were attached to the AWD case (from the engine).
The AWD case is much bigger and heavier... the 233 case is smaller and lighter.

Also keep in mind I discovered the 233 needed some spacers/shims under it (at the rear mount) to get correct yoke/drive-shaft angles. Again the 233 case is so much smaller that it sits lower too.. and needs a correction.

GREAT photos!
Keep up the GREAT work!
Last edited by Mmusicman on July 18th 2020, 11:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 72
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby dcsleeper » July 18th 2020, 11:36pm

"cobbled"

I do not think you know what that means...

That's what I'm gonna do some day, a horizontal shift lever and a vertical rod.
You can drill thru the shift lever on the TC to secure the lever, but you've already done a nice job!!
Profile | Edit signature

dcsleeper
Alias (AKA):

Postby tungtide [OP] » July 19th 2020, 12:51am

Music Man ,thanks for the reply. DC Sleeper saved me from pulling the cross member. It will come out soon enough. This van is a total rebuild. Pulling it all sub frame tranny motor front end etc. I do remember your spacers on the transmission mount. DC yes I did use the part from the actuator motor. I’m not as courages as to drilling the shaft for a bolt. I kinda tried, but did not have a long enough bit. So I just made the keeper bracket. About 35 thousands clearance, so no extra drag. I can’t finish the handle until I know the length. My local shop says 250.00 plus parts to go thru the TC. What do you guys think? Same shop says 2300.00 to rebuild the transmission. Shop says you get what you pay for. I’ve seen trans on flee bay FB market place for 600.00 this particular unit has 298000 miles. But it was working. Next the sub frame comes out. So I can start on the rest.
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide

Postby tungtide [OP] » July 19th 2020, 12:55am

Guys the keep trying comment has to do with posting pictures. I had 28 pics of this project. Just have not learned how to use this tablet.
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide

Postby dcsleeper » July 19th 2020, 12:56am

Both those estimates to me seem high.
The TC can be totally rebuilt for under 250 in parts. You need large snapring pliers, an arbor press, and seal installer removers.
A 4L60 can be fixed(not rebuilt) for usually under 300$.
I think you need to trust yourself more.
Profile | Edit signature

dcsleeper
Alias (AKA):

Postby SportsBoy » July 19th 2020, 1:01am

No idea if the tc quote is reasonable

$2300 for the tranny sounds like you could do better. I guess for a brick and mortar shop it could be normal. I got mine removed, rebuilt, and replaced for $1600 cash by a guy who does 4l60e's out of his garage. Maybe try to find that guy in your area?
SportsBoy
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby Mmusicman » July 19th 2020, 1:56am

Since you do your own work... a junk-yard buy might be a great deal for you.
People who pay someone to do all the labor don't have that as a good option.

Shop say... "you get what you pay for"?
So in other words, you get an "overpriced rebuild"? lol

Seems a tad bit high.. but how is their reputation?
It's a tough call.
The upside... is you get a "fresh" transmission that will probably last the rest of your life!
The one from the junkyard may be no better than what you have now. lol

My 233 didn't need anything except a couple seals (about $10 worth)
I did 2 out of 3... I guess the one I didn't do my transmission guy did.. he said it was bad.

Typically, most 4x4 TC's never get used much.
They're not hard to pull if it should need repairs later.

But it's your money... your call... :D
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years

Postby markmitch » July 19th 2020, 4:29am

I live in California and everything here is higher then most states i have lived in. My 89 had no reverse I went to 5 different transmission shops and they all quoted me 2800 bucks for a rebuild, At the last shop the owner gave me a quote then he walked off to answer the phone. I seen this one dude working on a teardown and walked to him and we started talking. He looked around to see if the boss was close by and then told this " I have worked in many trans shops over the years and this one is no different, when a customer brings in a car or even just the transmission in to be fixed the shop will take it apart see what is broken/worn order a kit and any other parts is may need then repair/replace just what is wrong in there and bill you for a rebuild. They will also bill you for the whole kit even though only the parts needed go into the transmission." Then he said but try and prove it! So i went home and ordered the basic kit, a book from GM for all the upgrades available for my transmission.I also ordered what I wanted in my transmission a few tools a Video and rebuilt it myself. I have never done one prior to this and it shifts great works great and I spent $1250 on all parts , materials, and tools. The first try did not move it just leaked all over the ground so I took it out took it apart and did it again. Somehow a snap ring had broken so I replaced the whole set of snap rings. My advice if possible do it yourself. If your a veteran like myself ask every company you contact for a military discount. Good luck.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 596
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Mmusicman » July 19th 2020, 1:38pm

I figured out a cool DIY way of pulling a transmission apart. You attach your engine hoist (cherry picker) to the front ears of the transmission (with a chain) and hoist it up on end, with the tail-shaft hanging down into a bucket. Simply unbolt the front pump and lift it out! YOUR IN! EASY!

Remove a clip and band.. and the input shaft and drums lift out next.
Now you're already half way in.

Need a clean work area to lay parts out. Pay attention to how they come apart (especially the little stuff).. take photos. You'll need a manual. Last time I simply downloaded a parts layout schematic.

Naturally there is much more to rebuilding.. but getting off to a good easy start is great.

I've had some success replacing broken hard parts (shafts, races, sprags).. as well as replacing steels and clutches in drums. I have the 700R4 (from my 92) that broke, and with over 200K needs a full rebuild (including front pump). I will be attempting this full rebuild myself.. as well a beefing up a few parts to safely run behind my V8. For now.. a very healthy and strong TH350 serves as a spare.. but I sure do miss lockup and overdrive.

Speaking of (sidenote) .... I think I'll start my 92 up and take it around the block. Need to flex some V8 muscle and blow some dust and spider webs off. Unfortunately it's been sitting in my garage for the past half year just waiting to get back on the road. Recently done new battery, all brand new upgraded cooling system, fresh new rebuilt Holley carb, tuneup.. recently completely re-done all front end steering components and suspension.. it's long been ready and DONE!
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Leeann_93 » July 19th 2020, 3:06pm

I have uploaded

ATSG 4L60E.pdf
ATSG 4L60E update.pdf
ATRA-4L60 Rebuild (GM 700R4).pdf
4L60E partslist.pdf
34145767-4L60E.pdf (has color flowcharts and stuff)

In a zip file to ZippyShare. All are welcome to download...
Code: Select all
https://www73.zippyshare.com/v/1ucgc9MT/file.html

This guy has step-by-step how to remove, disassemble and reassemble, with pics you can make larger:
http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60ERemoval.html
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby tungtide [OP] » August 2nd 2020, 9:01pm

Thanks for all the great replies. By the way the np 136 just got loaded on the scrap trailer. Speak up if you want it. Tomorrow am it’s off to the scrap dealer. I have pulled the studs and the drain plugs as well as the actuator motor.
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
tungtide

Postby Mmusicman » August 3rd 2020, 12:07am

tungtide wrote:By the way the np 136 just got loaded on the scrap trailer.

I boxed mine up so I can SAVE AND STORE it for 10 years.. then send it to the scrap yard. :lol:

But seriously, I'm really keeping my AWD unit as a "spare".. in case my 233 ever fails for ANY reason.
Swapping the AWD unit back in (temporarily) would take less than an hour and would get me back on the road.
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby sixsix » August 7th 2020, 4:29pm

Just found this thread... nice read. I swear Music could talk us thru a Trans rebuild in a post w/o us even realizing it.
... tung, sleeper and leeann aren't chopped liver neither - LOL.

As Jackie Gleason used to say... "and away with words".

This just in...
Oh, bummer ( for me personally, not really ) - the ND-Navy game's been 'Cancelled' ( a theme lately ). 93 years...

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Next

Return to 4WD,AWD And Transfer Case

It is currently September 24th 2020, 6:03am

Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
dit
in 4WD,AWD And Transfer Case