Switch to full site
Post a reply

AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 16th 2020, 4:32pm

My front diff totally locked up so I pulled it along with the front axels. I got maybe 6miles down the road and one of my hubs broke. I was wondering if it’s possible to just put RWD hubs on it? Thanks in advance!

Re: AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 16th 2020, 7:41pm

Probably not. You can check to see if the ball joints and tie rods are the same between awd and rwd for your year. If they are then you should be able to make it work. You will have to buy rotors and wheel bearings for the 2wd in addition though. Not sure on the calipers.

Re: AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 16th 2020, 8:25pm

By now you are probable aware of the fact that if you had kept the outer cv joints in the hub, it would have kept together. There is a snap ring between the shaft and the joint that keep the axle together. Finding some way of retaining the pretension of the wheel bearing without the axle would be an acceptable technical challenge I believe. P

Re: AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 16th 2020, 8:43pm

petema wrote:By now you are probable aware of the fact that if you had kept the outer cv joints in the hub, it would have kept together. There is a snap ring between the shaft and the joint that keep the axle together. Finding some way of retaining the pretension of the wheel bearing without the axle would be an acceptable technical challenge I believe. P
salvage and insert the outward half of a broken/worn joint and run the nut down on it.

Re: AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 16th 2020, 9:12pm

I assumed you meant steering knuckle. The rwd doesn't use hub bearings like the awd.

Re: AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 16th 2020, 9:22pm

M_a_t_t wrote:I assumed you meant steering knuckle. The rwd doesn't use hub bearings like the awd.

You probably answered his question correctly, he may have a couple of RWD knuckles laying around. But finding a way to use awd hubs without the axle shaft is an easier fix, don't you think?

Re: AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 16th 2020, 9:34pm

One only need to look back in chat about the same time today.
Poor guy.

Remember the 5 Ps

Re: AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 16th 2020, 9:44pm

petema wrote:
M_a_t_t wrote:.....But finding a way to use awd hubs without the axle shaft is an easier fix, don't you think?

Yes, that is the easy way to do it.

You take apart the AWD front CV joint until you just have the stub left. Put it back through the AWD hub and put the big nut on the threaded end like normal to keep the bearings together. Without that stub and big nut holding the hub together it will break like Alwaysneedhelp found out.

My front diff disintegrated also. I removed the entire drive train from the transfer case forward. I have been driving like that for 5 years with no problems. I just did not have time or money to deal with it at the time so I just took it all out.
Attachments
knuckle.JPG

Re: AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 16th 2020, 9:49pm

prezactly! heck, needing only the outward half of a bad joint, there may be a pretty long list of compatible parts you can look for in the JY.

Re: AWD to RWD.. how hard?

August 17th 2020, 11:26am

I think that's the best way to do it. I wouldn't count on the knuckle mounting up correctly, especially without seriously messing up the alignment

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Post a reply