Should I buy astro guy took out front drive shaft

Should I buy astro guy took out front drive shaft

Postby Caveman [OP] » April 22nd 2016, 5:27am

Went down to reno to look at a 1997 awd astro with 143000 miles on it engine runs good but the guy had taken out front drive shaft for better fuel economy. He said he will put it back in for me but I have read different opinions on this subject some say it may ruin the transfer case and some say it will be fine. He wants 1700 for the van should I buy it or stay away because of possible damage that could have resulted from driving with no front drive shaft.
Original Poster [OP]
Caveman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Caveman has been a member for 4 full yearsCaveman has been a member for 4 full yearsCaveman has been a member for 4 full yearsCaveman has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Caveman

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Should I buy astro guy took out front drive shaft

Postby AstrofarianAstrofarian is online! » April 22nd 2016, 6:34am

I guess it depends on how badly you want AWD. Myself, I would never own one. Dealt with a lemon that my ex-wife insisted on buying (While we were together). 2 front pinion seals, one driveshaft, two encoders, etc later, I had had enough. Take the damned thing to a shop and pay $75/hr.
Didn't take her long to see it my way.
Guy she sold it to got 3 months then the t/case grenaded. I bought it from him for $300, put a used t/case in it and sold it for $1200. Last I heard it was falling apart but still on the road.....
But for me, like I said, I'm done with AWD.
-Mike-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
AstrofarianAstrofarian is online!
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby Caveman [OP] » April 22nd 2016, 6:53am

I Live up in lake tahoe and definitely need awd for winter snow driving. I'm mainly wanting to know if there is any risk of the front transfer case being damaged because he drove it without front drive shaft for a while.
Original Poster [OP]
Caveman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Caveman has been a member for 4 full yearsCaveman has been a member for 4 full yearsCaveman has been a member for 4 full yearsCaveman has been a member for 4 full years

Postby keith92ext » April 22nd 2016, 2:00pm

ive heard the awd models always had issues. my 92 is 2wd and i do ok up here in massachusetts. good tires and few bags of tube sand or concrete and im good to go. it should be fine with no shaft there its just the u joint yoke. the front cv joints etc should be fine.
keith92ext
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: keith92ext has been a member for 4 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 4 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 4 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA): keith
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: 4.3 rwd

Postby Caveman [OP] » April 22nd 2016, 2:18pm

Look guys I'm going to have the guy put the front drive shaft back in I need and want awd. Does anyone know if because the the car was run without front drive shaft for a while that the transfer case may have been compromised in some way.
Original Poster [OP]
Caveman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Lumpy » April 22nd 2016, 3:28pm

Caveman wrote:Look guys I'm going to have the guy put the front drive shaft back in I need and want awd. Does anyone know if because the the car was run without front drive shaft for a while that the transfer case may have been compromised in some way.

Look guy, you're asking people who have never seen/felt/examined this vehicle if the transfer case has been compromised. Nobody knows. Couldn't get much simpler than that. You're looking at a nearly 20 year old vehicle with over three times the expected life miles on it. Drive shaft or not, if the thing's in good shape it's a fluke. It will need replacing/service at some point. That point may be in the future, that point may have been in the past. Nobody can tell.

We don't know a thing about the van, it's previous life, it's previous owner, your mechanical abilities, your perceived need/use for the van, your experience with driving AWD vehicles etc. All we know here is a good place to get tacos on the way home from the National Forest.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Caveman [OP] » April 22nd 2016, 3:52pm

I really feel I'm asking a simple question. I just want to know in general is removing front drive shaft something that might be bad for the transfer case because it's spinning with no load in the front. Let's say I was thinking about removing my front drive shaft for better mpg would you recommend that or would you tell me I may be comprising the awd system by doing so.
Original Poster [OP]
Caveman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Lumpy » April 22nd 2016, 4:00pm

Caveman wrote:I really feel I'm asking a simple question...

You're WANTING it to be a simple question. It's simply not.

If you'd like a simple answer, then yes, it's been compromised.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Caveman [OP] » April 22nd 2016, 4:13pm

Lump sorry man I'm just looking to see if any one thinks if it's a bad idea to remove front drive shaft based on the mechanics of the all wheel drive system.
Original Poster [OP]
Caveman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Caveman [OP] » April 22nd 2016, 4:30pm

The person in this thread viewtopic.php?f=70&t=34137 seems to think it would be ok to do so but I have read in other threads that say it's not a good idea.
Original Poster [OP]
Caveman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Lumpy » April 22nd 2016, 4:34pm

Caveman wrote:
...I'm just looking to see if any one thinks if it's a bad idea to remove front drive shaft based on the mechanics of the all wheel drive system.

It's a bad idea. You will need to replace your transfer case some day.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby The Drummer » April 22nd 2016, 4:35pm

It is a very simple question caveman , i am no expert but i v reed in here that it will not hurt the t case if the shaft is removed , and why the hell will it brake anything ? , if anything its a lot less load on the t case for not having to power up the front wheel drive , but you definetly want a second opinion on that , now why the shaft as been removed is another thing , is the t case working ? etc , but thats not what you asked for , test drive the van with the shaft in place , make sure awd works ,have the van in a shop to check t case and both diffs fluid checked , try to find any off road specialty shop near by and spend a little cash if need be and have em check the awd system , any noise,vibration,clunks etc , but if the awd works fine , no weird noises , no awd dash light on , your likely good to go , do a google/youtube search as well , i hope this helps a little .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby Caveman [OP] » April 22nd 2016, 4:40pm

Thanks a lot that is the the post I was looking for great advice thank you.
Original Poster [OP]
Caveman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)