Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Are all half shafts the same?

7K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  SportsBoy 
#1 ·
I know their prices are not. Are some more "heavy duty"? Do all come with new boots? are there other attachments that are needed but may not be included with the shaft? Are there parts that connect to the half shaft that should also be replaced?

I think you get the point. :D

#3 ·
Yes, they all come with new boots. You'll have to pull the stub shaft out of your existing CV axle and put it in the new one. A new axle nut should come with. Buy new diff-side seals while you're at it - it's worth it.

Having said that, get NAPA reman if possible. Lots of other axles are actually too short and make nasty clunking noises once installed. Or, rather, they're put together compressed and the grease holds them compressed and you can't easily get them stretched out. You'd have to take it apart, degrease, stretch it out, regrease and put back together to use without noise (I'd attribute this to the specific member and his mechanic that found that part out, but I honestly can't remember who it was). The NAPA remans were the right length out of the box.

FWIW, Jeep Liberty axle shafts have the same problem - and NAPA remans are also the answer.

#5 ·
Leeann_93 said:
Yes, they all come with new boots. You'll have to pull the stub shaft out of your existing CV axle and put it in the new one. A new axle nut should come with. Buy new diff-side seals while you're at it - it's worth it.

Having said that, get NAPA reman if possible. Lots of other axles are actually too short and make nasty clunking noises once installed. Or, rather, they're put together compressed and the grease holds them compressed and you can't easily get them stretched out. You'd have to take it apart, degrease, stretch it out, regrease and put back together to use without noise (I'd attribute this to the specific member and his mechanic that found that part out, but I honestly can't remember who it was). The NAPA remans were the right length out of the box.

FWIW, Jeep Liberty axle shafts have the same problem - and NAPA remans are also the answer.
I was digging this up for my own good...
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=15018&p=159883&hilit=napa+cv+shaft#p159794

there's the original post.

#6 ·
WinnieVan said:
Leeann_93 said:

I was digging this up for my own good...
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=15018&p=159883&hilit=napa+cv+shaft#p159794

there's the original post.
Thanks! I couldn't remember who it was for the life of me ;)

#8 ·
OK, while we're on the subject...... Napa shows different part numbers for left and right sides while everyone else shows same part number both sides..... 'Sup with that?

#9 ·
Actually, the part numbers are the same, it's just the title that changes:

CV Driveshaft - Left Front - Remfd
PART # :
NMD 959249
PRODUCT LINE :
NAPA MaxDrive

CV Driveshaft - Right Front - Remfd
PART # :
NMD 959249
PRODUCT LINE :
NAPA MaxDrive

I think they have it separated out because of the many other vehicles that are different left and right.

#11 ·
Oops you're right, I was comparing the wrong two things...... Thanks for straightening it out...,..

#12 ·
So I just read the original post about the length issues and it says NAPA was wrong also. Maybe that was in the past?

While I am at it can you test the axle after its out? My concern is a clunk noise the axle doesn't rock back and forth but neither does any of the suspension components short of the upper BJ. So I have new Moog BJ ready but want to check the axles at that time. Short of play in the joints and grease locked what else to check? Might be cheap insurance but my list is still long so hate to spend the dough if I don't need to. :thumbup:

#13 ·
Napa remaned are good. They stand behind the warranty also. I had a split boot on one about a year out and they replaced it and also replaced the other one for good measure. No charge.

#14 ·
For whatever it's worth to future astrofarians looking for answers, I got the new Trakmotive half shafts from rock auto and they were the same length as the old ones, and installed OK...... This matched TurnNBurns experience mentioned in another thread.....

This was for a 2004, BTW, can't swear it works the same for the 5 lug models.....

#17 ·
I use napa remans and I like them, their warranty is no questions asked too.

#18 ·
Rinny said:
I use napa remans and I like them, their warranty is no questions asked too.
I must say - if I were to do it a first time again -- I'd get the napa remanns. There was significant uncertainty when installing the suretraks on checking if they were "all the way in" since the build on them are a bit different.

I made a lot of measurements and took lots of pictures before removing my CV axles... but comparing the before/after measurements was not an apples-to-apples comparison given the differences between the suretracks and the OE GM axles.

Nevertheless, the suretracks are working fine, even though there is a bit more space between the seal and the shoulder of the CV axle than the original equipment.

I wish I saved myself the hassle of placing each axle 3 or 4 times by just getting the remanns and making sure they looked the same as the ones I pulled out after installation.

Then again -- I'm a complete noob to automotive work -- so your mileage my vary.

:2:

#19 ·
No REMANS for me... I recently installed Cardone Select NEW!
Quality "looked" very good... we'll see. :D
Lately, I've lost some faith in NAPA with several other premature failures.

#20 ·
When I was with Tire America I'd send all my CV axles to a local rebuilder. If it was in before 4:00 PM I got it back the same day. In 1996 it was $89 per axle. After fighting with a Toyota getting bad parts from ALL the suppliers (and tying up my lift all &^%^$ day) I swore I'd never order a replacement again. If it came out I knew it would go back in properly, and I never had an issue with any of their products. Bullet Driveline saved my bacon more than once.

#21 ·
Leeann_93 said:

CV Driveshaft - Left Front - Remfd
PART # :
NMD 959249
PRODUCT LINE :
NAPA MaxDrive

CV Driveshaft - Right Front - Remfd
PART # :
NMD 959249
PRODUCT LINE :
NAPA MaxDrive

I think they have it separated out because of the many other vehicles that are different left and right.
Any reason these wouldn't fit a '97? Napa's site said it "may" fit my van.

Also, left and right are the same, so I can just buy two of these correct?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMD959249

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.