Dual Exhaust on an AWD Astro

Dual Exhaust on an AWD Astro

Postby Cannonball [OP] » April 12th 2019, 3:23am

So Im new to the forum, I am asking a dumb question but after searching posts for over an hour I cant find an answer....

I had a 99 astro with the new engine and solid body they had an electrical fire in the rear harness and burned up the headliner seats etc ok ill figure out what to do later with it. Might rebuild or sell. But I found and bought a 2005 ASTRO AWD Cargo with 19K on it...so I'm going to outfit this one, lift it, some performance mods, Stereo and some dual purpose work n play gear cargo boxes.

I want to upgrade the Exhaust to a Dual Split Rear with side exit behind the rear wheels... Found a kit thats supposed to be a Gibson thats exactly that, on ebay.... Gibsons site does not show one and the numbers dont cross to Gibson either. Im ready to gamble but the split duals on Gibsons site and the Split Dual kit on ebay both say 2WD. They don't specifically say wont fit on AWD they just say 2WD... I have an AWD and plan to do 4WD conversion too. and I dont want duals out the rear to wipe out my legs.

Dont have the '05 home yet but looking at the '99 exhaust I cant see any cat back system clearance issues that would be created with an AWD instead of 2WD. Looking up exhaust systems and parts on Rock auto and other places I see none that designate parts are different for 2WD or AWD. My thinking is there is no difference. Single exhaust comes out the pass side on all. The fitment on a 2WD would be the same as an AWD. The fuel tanks are in the same location so I don't think its a clearance issue there. I assume the rear diff is the same on both 2WD or AWD and the tase is in line and just offsets to the driver side in front.

Any of you know or have any idea why a 2WD Astro dual exhaust wouldn't fit on an AWD Astro? Any other suggestions on a complete cat back system for a 2005 AWD astro? I will put in a high flo cat when I do the other performance mods later.Might have to do some adjusting exhaust heights with the spring lift in rear and body lift in front too I dont know but thats sticks in my head.

Thank you very much for tolerating a newbie old guy (61yo) with a dumb question.

Cannonball
Original Poster [OP]
Cannonball
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Cannonball has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Exhaust info needed
    by Wiley » June 25th 2020, 9:00pm in Exhaust
    12 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    June 27th 2020, 2:36am
  • astro awd 1997 rear box (muffler) change
    by GSouthee » May 17th 2020, 9:45am in Exhaust
    5 Replies
    Last post by Big_kid View the latest post
    May 17th 2020, 4:37pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 31st 2020, 3:04pm

Re: Dual Exhaust on an AWD Astro

Postby astroracer » April 12th 2019, 4:08pm

I would take the van to a local muffler shop and have them build a system for it. Best bang for your buck, you will have full shop support if anything breaks or needs work and you know the system will work before you get there.
Have them put on a single in dual out performance muffler, leave the cat alone and enjoy the noise. :)
Mark
1994 Astro with an LT1 350 (Ron Burgundy)
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1995 GMC Sierra (the show truck)
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1988 Astro (the BadAst Project
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
astroracer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): astroracer
Van Model Year: 1988
Extra Info: Major renovation

Postby markmitch » April 12th 2019, 5:31pm

I agree with Mark, best bet is to have a system built for it but I suggest you figure out which muffler to use. Check out summit racing as they have a fully welded turbo that flows as good or better then some of the more expensive mufflers. Also because you have a V6 keep the pipe size small when going duals or it can cause computer hiccups. more is not always better with computer controlled vehicles. The factory Y pipe on most GM vehicles is very restrictive so that might be something to change later too.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 609
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby astroracer » April 12th 2019, 5:43pm

I wouldn't worry about the muffler too much. My truck and my 5.3 Denali both use Pro-Flow mufflers right from the shop. The one on my truck is a single 3" into dual 2 1/2" out and has been on the truck since 2000... It sounds great and was lot cheaper then buying a name brand and then having to ship it. The Denali has a single in, single out and it also sounds great. I did the system on the Denali last fall and it cost a little under 300 bucks for everything.
1994 Astro with an LT1 350 (Ron Burgundy)
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1995 GMC Sierra (the show truck)
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1988 Astro (the BadAst Project
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
astroracer
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): astroracer
Van Model Year: 1988
Extra Info: Major renovation

Postby sixsix » April 12th 2019, 9:18pm

Cannonball wrote: ... I found and bought a 2005 ASTRO AWD Cargo with 19K on it...

My Goodness, I can't believe "Somebody's Unicorns" are still out there.

2005, AWD, Cargo, 19,000 Miles
Just Wow.

By the way, Welcome to "The Big Astro Show" from ...
- us here in Greater Cincinnati / N. Ky. ( Land of "Heathen Catholic Boys" ).
Where is your 05 from - Salty, Nutty or Road Hard ?

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “Everything needs to change except the asshole culture and stupid way of life of the avg. antifa, BLM follower - slobs, cowards, killers w/o any thought that they, IN FACT, are now the Racists.”

sixsix
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Cannonball [OP] » April 12th 2019, 10:52pm

Well all the local shops here are hacks.... they use a bender and kink everything and cant do a multiple bend pipe. I guess I can try it myself and section and TIG it once its here. I just really wanted to know if there was any real difference cat back from a 2WD to an AWD ? as for the unicorn, yes ive been watching for 4 months and was in right spot at the right time... it came from NH but was in a very limited use private service. clean and still see the OE undercoating and paint no real rust like like ill be able to work on it with out safety glasses if I wanted to.
Original Poster [OP]
Cannonball
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Cannonball has been a member for 1 full year
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: AWD

Postby fabinator » April 13th 2019, 8:40am

I think the only difference is the outlet angle of the passenger side exhaust manifold. Cat back should be the same. This is for 1st gen vans, not sure if 2nd gen are any different besides another O2 sensor.
fabinator
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: fabinator has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: LT EXT AWD

Postby backinabox » September 12th 2020, 5:05am

I agree the name brand aftermarket systems are over priced...I use an old trick I found in HotRod mag many years ago, take a piece of 3" dia. dryer vent tube you can buy at the hardware store and shape it to fit where you want the exhaust to go, then bend the pipes to match the vent pipe...I built the dual exhaust system in my 5.3 powered S10 by taking the pre-bent vent tubes to a local exhaust shop, the finished pipes bolted right up perfectly
2004 Astro Rwd Cargo work in progress
2009 Colorado ext. Z71 4x4 5.3 V8 hotrod - Daily driver
1978 G20 Shorty Van -SOLD
1998 Astro AWD Cargo - MagnaFlow exhaust,Volant Cold Intake,Hellwig rear sway bar, 93 SS454 rims -SOLD
backinabox
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: backinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA): Deano
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby 97cargocrawler » September 12th 2020, 11:22am

I like mine https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=59954

It's just pipes and a cat. If you can weld seems like you could make any needed mods to make it work.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby backinabox » October 12th 2020, 2:39am

97cargocrawler wrote:I like mine https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=59954

It's just pipes and a cat. If you can weld seems like you could make any needed mods to make it work.

That's a clean system, I like the bends on the tail pipes they're clean and line up nicely...your van is over the top Bro :thumbup:

I do seem to remember there being 3 of 4 companies making exhaust for our vans at one time, I also seem to remember there being a dual split system with side exit, now there's only the few options offered by Gibson.. like everything else our options are getting few and fewer.

I kinda like Gibson's dual side exit system, I've been watching a couple on The Bay of E...it reminds me of my 78 G30 with factory dual tail pipes exiting on the right side

I've been holding back over price but there's a lot to be said for having a complete system delivered to your door and bolting it right up at home, I doubt a custom bent system at a muffler shop will be any cheaper theses days...so I may have to pull the trigger...
2004 Astro Rwd Cargo work in progress
2009 Colorado ext. Z71 4x4 5.3 V8 hotrod - Daily driver
1978 G20 Shorty Van -SOLD
1998 Astro AWD Cargo - MagnaFlow exhaust,Volant Cold Intake,Hellwig rear sway bar, 93 SS454 rims -SOLD
backinabox
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: backinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA): Deano
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: Cargo