'04 Tail pipe

'04 Tail pipe

Postby stal023 [OP] » April 26th 2021, 6:53pm

I have never worked on the exhaust system before and I am looking for advice as my tail pipe has completely rusted and broke off from the muffler, yet somehow is staying put inside the muffler and it's not crazy loud, yet. I want to replace it before it does brake off and wake everyone up as I drive past!. Resources? Parts? Youtube videos to point me in the right direction?
Original Poster [OP]
stal023
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: stal023 has been a member for 3 full yearsstal023 has been a member for 3 full yearsstal023 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): stal
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

Re: '04 Tail pipe

Postby dcsleeper » April 26th 2021, 10:19pm

where do you live that your tailpipe is rotten?

rockauto for part numbers
amazon for deals

pics for attention

Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

gavio wrote:I was going to do that until I thought of something more complicated :D
dcsleeper
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dcsleeper has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 22
Alias (AKA): DC
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby stal023 [OP] » April 27th 2021, 1:47pm

Southeast.

So muffler and tailpipe is what I need to order?
Original Poster [OP]
stal023
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: stal023 has been a member for 3 full yearsstal023 has been a member for 3 full yearsstal023 has been a member for 3 full years

Postby dcsleeper » April 27th 2021, 2:26pm

If you're asking me, that makes me think you should take it to Midas. That's not a dig. They can diagnose it for you, AND I once got a pretty good deal on a muffler for a Jetta. It was a quality piece too. It was only a little more than just me buying the part.
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

gavio wrote:I was going to do that until I thought of something more complicated :D
dcsleeper

Postby Big_kid » April 27th 2021, 2:42pm

Get an estimate from a shop, compare the pricing with DIY parts, and see if it's worth your time. Big Al's muffler shops near me can do the job for about the same cost as me buying parts, and I don't have to lie (lay?) on my back and get rust in my eyes. It also helps keep the muffler guy employed, win-win.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby stal023 [OP] » April 28th 2021, 4:50pm

Okay, good suggestions. I've admitted I've not worked on exhaust so I don't want to get screwed by the shop. As previously asked, I just need the muffler and tailpipe, correct? Cats are still working.
Original Poster [OP]
stal023
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby Mmusicman » April 28th 2021, 5:02pm

stal023 wrote:As previously asked, I just need the muffler and tailpipe, correct?

As previously answered... how are WE supposed to know if YOU need a muffler and tailpipe?
If you don't know.. then as suggested (not a dig) take it to a muffler shop, at least for an estimate.
Good luck
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby dcsleeper » April 28th 2021, 6:24pm

Stop operating from a perspective of fear. Focus on the prize.
How you gonna get you exhaust fixed? go to an exhaust fixer. You may be pleasantly surprised. of course, you also may not....
Profile | Edit signature

dcsleeper

Postby AstroWill » April 29th 2021, 2:12am

Pretty simple, OEM is one piece from the muffler back, but can be removed easily as one piece, doesn't have to be cut.

You will need the gasket: https://amzn.to/3t133JY
The muffler: https://amzn.to/3vuMrfk
The tail pipe: https://amzn.to/2RbNEcc
and a clamp for the tail pipe to muffler connection: https://amzn.to/2R914Ws

Sometimes the flange bolts are a PITA, plan on the possibility of drilling them out.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby markmitch » April 29th 2021, 3:08am

I lived in the northeast and I hated exhaust work just because of the rust. I would always go to a exhaust shop. But living in California I did all my own exhaust stuff-no rust. Most cases the chain shops like midas can do it cheaper then a mom and pop garage though. I would suggest also after it is fixed and parts are replaced to get some good high heat paint and paint the new parts to help them from rust a little bit longer then just uncovered steel parts open to the elements but hey that's just me.
Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 632
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby stal023 [OP] » April 29th 2021, 1:42pm

AstroWill wrote:Pretty simple, OEM is one piece from the muffler back, but can be removed easily as one piece, doesn't have to be cut.

You will need the gasket: https://amzn.to/3t133JY
The muffler: https://amzn.to/3vuMrfk
The tail pipe: https://amzn.to/2RbNEcc
and a clamp for the tail pipe to muffler connection: https://amzn.to/2R914Ws

Sometimes the flange bolts are a PITA, plan on the possibility of drilling them out.

Thank you so much!

Some folks are helpful on forums and others not so much. For those wanting to drill me on how are you supposed to know what I need if I don't know, I really thought the point of a forum was when you don't know something to ask for those more knowledgeable. Thank you AstroWill good Sir for being kind :)
Original Poster [OP]
stal023
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby Mmusicman » April 30th 2021, 12:02am

Will is one of the good guys...
Good luck with the repair.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby stal023 [OP] » May 3rd 2021, 6:51pm

I called a local shop that has great reviews and they said only 45 minutes at $155. That seems crazy cheap so I got an appointment. Should I be leary of that price?
Original Poster [OP]
stal023
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby Bossman » May 3rd 2021, 7:38pm

No.

Mike
Bossman
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Bossman has been a member for 3 full yearsBossman has been a member for 3 full yearsBossman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: RWD Cargo

Postby Rod's Trucks » May 3rd 2021, 8:00pm

If it is only a simple tailpipe and muffler assembly install, there is little to go wrong. It should be a bolt in operation.
It is not particularly difficult job to to do it yourself, but for that kind of money, I would probably have it done... and have a warranty. I have a lift, and would probably still have it done.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA.
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby AstroWill » May 3rd 2021, 11:27pm

That's not a bad price for everything. Often exhaust specific shops can get it done as cheap or cheaper than what you can buy the parts for.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches