A little more noise

A little more noise

Postby soda.can [OP] » April 12th 2017, 8:41pm

Hey folks, I did some research on this forum about making things a little louder on the exhaust portion of my van, but couldn't really find much. I want to be able to make it a little louder (not illegal :shifty: ) but just a little more than your average stock minivan. I want to do this without messing anything up or changing anything vital to my van. I would prefer to do it myself if any of you have any knowledge as to how I could do that. I'd probably go buy an aftermarket muffler...I don't really want to go and straight-pipe the whole thing or have smokestacks coming up outta the back...maybe later ;)
Original Poster [OP]
soda.can
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: soda.can has been a member for 3 full yearssoda.can has been a member for 3 full yearssoda.can has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Calvin
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Re: A little more noise

Postby Mmusicman » April 12th 2017, 9:27pm

Sorry to say... stock V6 engines don't usually sound very good with aftermarket performance mufflers. They just sound like an exhaust leak... and have an annoying drone sound while cruising. If this appeals to you... then go for it... the extra noise certainly won't hurt anything.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 13th 2017, 9:44am

I have to disagree with Mmusicman. I have an aftermarket Gibson dual exhaust on my vans V6 and it sounds just as nice and throaty as my V8 stacked diesel when idling. I used to think it was loud as f**k until I stacked my truck. In comparison my van falls in the middle of the eardrum pop spectrum and sounds nice. It only sounds like I have an exhaust leak when the donut gasket between the manifold and Y pipe is shot, as it would with any other van/piping system.

One cylinder fires at a time whether you have one or 100. Why would a V8 sound any different. Exhaust is a continuous flow of air and provided there is free flow I cannot imagine the sound pressure being any different depending on the cylinder count. Only cylinder volume would make a substantial noise difference.
97cargocrawler
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby chevymaher » April 13th 2017, 11:23am

Look on You Tube 4.3 with a glass pack. All the different exhaust systems are on there. That way you know what your choosing from. There are different year V-6's with different exhaust on them. Early and late models do sound different with the same exhaust. And as musicman pointed out they sound alot different when they are non stock.

So just shop wisely so you are happy with the final product.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 13th 2017, 3:53pm

As CM says listen to them online. BUT keep in mind the sounds you will hear on there are very very rough approximations at best due to the recording equipment and how the sound was recorded, i.e. relative position to the exhaust. To get a good idea one would have to set up a very strict testing method and use the same engine with multiple exhaust systems. Some manufacturers may have set up such a test and have it for viewing online, but I'd say 99.99% of those recordings online will not sound satisfying or be accurate for your application.

I've tried 100 times to get an accurate recording of my exhaust and failed miserably every time.
97cargocrawler
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Mmusicman » April 13th 2017, 5:40pm

97cargocrawler wrote:One cylinder fires at a time whether you have one or 100. Why would a V8 sound any different. Exhaust is a continuous flow of air and provided there is free flow I cannot imagine the sound pressure being any different depending on the cylinder count. Only cylinder volume would make a substantial noise difference.

Sorry to say... but this is completely incorrect. It is NOT simply cylinder count. Firing order is a big factor, as well as valve timing, when it comes to how an engine "sounds"... not just how loud it gets. Example: Why does a Harley sound completely different than a Honda, when they BOTH have two cylinders approximately the same size. I assure you, the one bike sounds MUCH different than the other... even with the same exhaust system.

The simple evidence of how a V6 sounds compared to a V8 is obvious.... just listen. Don't mistake how "loud" something is as compared to how "good" something sounds.

Certainly you can make a V6 louder... and if you're lucky you may even be able to give it a tone "you" like. There are people who think exhaust systems that fart when you get on them, sound good too. I mean REALLY????

Cylinder volume certainly may effect output amplitude, but I believe that is not the issue here, since the cylinder sizes of the V6 are essentially the same at the small block V8. A big block will obviously have much more punch.

Bottom line though... sound is subjective. You make it your own.. and do what works for you. I come from an "old school" background where a nice deep rumbling exhaust system equals power. But little engines that wind out and sound like mosquitos can make power too. That style is just not for me.

I want my engines to sound like an old school Harley... and not a Honda.

97cargocrawler wrote:I used to think it was loud as f**k until I stacked my truck. In comparison my van falls in the middle of the eardrum pop spectrum...

I have a feeling we have differing opinions on what "sounds good".
But that's ok... we make them our own!
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 13th 2017, 6:22pm

Sounds very unscientific Mmusicman. I would agree that firing order would make a difference, if out of order. Valve timing too, if off.

Comparing two completely different engines, the only similarity being the number and size of pistons is pretty retarded. The topic is two engines, presumably both GM just one has two more pistons. Same amount of fuel to the injector, same compression ratio, same heat on the spark. Not gonna make a difference in the sound with the same intake and spark controls.

Pipe length and shape sure make a difference though. That's not subjective. Physics 101.

I have yet to see a Harley exhaust on a Honda. Must be a Florida thing.
97cargocrawler

Postby chevymaher » April 13th 2017, 6:46pm

Mmusicman wrote:The simple evidence of how a V6 sounds compared to a V8 is obvious.... just listen. Don't mistake how "loud" something is as compared to how "good" something sounds.

Certainly you can make a V6 louder... and if you're lucky you may even be able to give it a tone "you" like. There are people who think exhaust systems that fart when you get on them, sound good too. I mean REALLY????

I am listening. Not many people could tell it was a 6. I was accused of being a liar more than once. One I got now is the same deal just a milder lope.

chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 13th 2017, 6:52pm

I think the clear solution here for the OP is to go get a V8! Or a V10! Or a V12! Or go electric and just play whatever exhaust noise you like on the radio.
97cargocrawler

Postby soda.can [OP] » April 13th 2017, 7:15pm

The simple evidence of how a V6 sounds compared to a V8 is obvious.... just listen. Don't mistake how "loud" something is as compared to how "good" something sounds.
yes this is very true...I guess what I should've said is that I would like to have more noise, but it can't just be any noise, it has to sound good. But like mmusicman says, a "good" sound can be different for everyone. I think I'll just have to test a few like cargocrawler says. Thanks for the help guys
Original Poster [OP]
soda.can
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: soda.can has been a member for 3 full yearssoda.can has been a member for 3 full yearssoda.can has been a member for 3 full years

Postby Mmusicman » April 13th 2017, 7:28pm

97cargocrawler wrote:Sounds very unscientific Mmusicman. I would agree that firing order would make a difference, if out of order. Valve timing too, if off.

I guess you completely missed the point about firing order, as well as valve timings, that can affect the way an engine sounds too. No matter... doesn't change the facts.

Comparing two completely different engines, the only similarity being the number and size of pistons is pretty retarded.

Huh? Retarded? You are the one who said same cylinder size and amount of cylinders should have no effect on how two different engines should sound. I gave you an easy example of how this kind of thinking is mistaken.

I have yet to see a Harley exhaust on a Honda. Must be a Florida thing.

NO WHERE did I ever say a "Harley exhaust on a Honda"... I said both bikes, both with same amount of cylinders and size... sound completely different with "same exhaust systems". One example would be "Vance Hines" aftermarket exhaust systems... made for BOTH model bikes, yet each bike with similar sized engines still sounds completely different.

Again, you may not understand the concept of firing orders and valve timings... but I assure you they DO effect how an engine sounds. You may "perceive" things differently.. which is why you may not be able to hear a difference.

Louder is not simply better... an exhaust leak is louder, but that doesn't mean it sounds better.
Like I said... "some people" think FART CANS sound "good" on their exhaust. LOL :shock:

It's not my intention to get into a pissing match with you over this... but I assure you many people agree the V6 does not typically sound like a V8. If your opinion is different and we disagree... then so be it.

PS: Cargo, have you done anything aftermarket performance to the V6 engine in your van?
It sounds pretty good (in the video) idling, and does NOT sound like a "stock" engine to me.
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby soda.can [OP] » April 13th 2017, 7:56pm

Okay I've watched a few videos like maher suggested, and I decided I like the sound of the glass packs...are there other items or other methods to get sound like that and how cheap/how easy can this be done
Original Poster [OP]
soda.can
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 13th 2017, 8:03pm

What video would you be referring to Mm? I think CM's sure sounds like a mean bugger and I'd have no clue if that was a V6 or V8 from the sound in that video.

The only mods to my engine are larger snorkel, larger exhaust pipe diameter, throttle body spacer, throttle plate restriction removal, mechanical fan elimination and slight messings around with the look up tables in the PCM.
97cargocrawler

Postby soda.can [OP] » April 13th 2017, 8:09pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsQdUVItpr4
I REALLY like the sound of this S-10, you can tell it's not stock, but it's not overly loud either. That's exactly what I'm shooting for
Original Poster [OP]
soda.can
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Mmusicman » April 13th 2017, 8:38pm

97cargocrawler wrote:What video would you be referring to Mm? I think CM's sure sounds like a mean bugger and I'd have no clue if that was a V6 or V8 from the sound in that video.

Dammit... I just got you guys mixed up! I thought so too... since his motor does NOT sound stock, nor is it.
Which just goes further to prove my point! Same amount of cylinders, same displacement, but cam timing and performance improvements changed it's sound quite a bit! We definitely BOTH agree it sounds good! :D
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby wrecker388 » April 13th 2017, 9:00pm

Like everyone else has said it will be your personal preference. I've heard plenty of V8s that sound more pathetic than my V6 did with a stuck lifter. And at the same note I've heard V8s and V6s that sounded so pathetic that I almost thought the VTEC was about to kick in yo. If you had a V8 (the best way to get a nice exhaust note, imo) your possibilities are endless. I'm running 3'' stainless with a massive OEM muffler from a 2007 Tahoe on my 350 swap. It's quiet but sounds sexy as heck. I got a decent sound out of my old V6 before the lifters stuck with a cheapo (Walker I think) muffler with 2.25" pipe. Granted it did have a Magnaflow Catalytic converter as the OE GM one had shat itself after 25 years of rust belt life. Exhaust sound is all about your preference. Just because it's loud doesn't mean it sounds good.
wrecker388
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: wrecker388 has been a member for 6 full yearswrecker388 has been a member for 6 full yearswrecker388 has been a member for 6 full yearswrecker388 has been a member for 6 full yearswrecker388 has been a member for 6 full yearswrecker388 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: CL 5.7L V8 RWD

Postby chevymaher » April 13th 2017, 9:47pm

soda.can wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsQdUVItpr4
I REALLY like the sound of this S-10, you can tell it's not stock, but it's not overly loud either. That's exactly what I'm shooting for

This was kinda sorta stock and a glass pack. Blocked EGR and the timing changed. But it was the original engine with 170 thousand or something on it. But no cam no porting yet. This was basically the beginning of my love affair with the 6's. I am on my 3rd one now.

chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby AstroWill » April 13th 2017, 9:51pm

97cargocrawler wrote:Or go electric and just play whatever exhaust noise you like on the radio.

VW(GTI), BMW(M5), Ford(Mustang) have all added additional exhaust/engine sounds to the cabin.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby chevymaher » April 13th 2017, 9:53pm

AstroWill wrote:
97cargocrawler wrote:Or go electric and just play whatever exhaust noise you like on the radio.

VW, BMW, Ford(Mustang) have all added additional exhaust/engine sounds to the cabin.

There was a thread a while back. Someone was selling those things. Making a V-8 sound over the stereo.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby soda.can [OP] » April 13th 2017, 10:07pm

This was kinda sorta stock and a glass pack.
Do you have any specific brand and diameter of glass-pack you really liked?
Original Poster [OP]
soda.can
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Next