Headers for the 4.3

Re: Headers for the 4.3

Postby doyoulikeithere » December 2nd 2008, 3:03am

I wonder if it would fit, if you could take the centre section from an old van, and then cut the new van, keeping in mind that maybe you can then mount the centre from an old van in after. If the section is rougly the same shape, maybe the old style centre section can just bolt in after you drill a few well placed holes.. or just weld the section back in after even.
:twisted:
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: doyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Headers!... and now a code 44
    by 95SafariRunner » March 15th 2021, 7:35am in Exhaust
    8 Replies
    Last post by 95SafariRunner View the latest post
    March 25th 2021, 9:53pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 17th 2021, 12:39pm

Postby Matrixx » December 2nd 2008, 11:21am

Hi doyoulikeithere
Thanks for the input as well. That is a an idea I haven't thought of, I'll be hitting the wreckers in a week or two and I will take measurements then to see if that will fly or not, Thanks. :)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby backinabox » December 9th 2008, 10:44pm

My guess is that GM did it this way because it's "easier" that's how it was built on the assmy line. I meen really what do they care about a bunch of guys doing engine swaps? I know some guys that used to do v8 swaps and 4x4 conversions on early Astros they always dropped the subframe...And to tell you the truth I myself would rather drop the entire subframe out,That's how I drop an engine in a camaro restoration, why risk dents and scratch's on new paint...oh and while the frame is out is a good time to replace the body cushions that always rot and maybe oh I don't know slap some rustolium on the frame...you have to disconnect everything anyways so what's six more bolts and a couple brake lines...you'll need some really tall jack stands or use blocks, prop the van up and drop the whole assmy out with a floor jack, one person can do it this way without smashed fingers dented valve covers and oil pans..if your doing the swap in a garage with low ceiling height it can still be done by removing the front tires and dropping the jack all the way down gaining another several inch's, I have even rolled frames out on just the brake drums and rotors
2004 Astro Rwd Cargo work in progress
2009 Colorado ext. Z71 4x4 5.3 V8 hotrod - Daily driver
1978 G20 Shorty Van -SOLD
1998 Astro AWD Cargo - MagnaFlow exhaust,Volant Cold Intake,Hellwig rear sway bar, 93 SS454 rims -SOLD
backinabox
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: backinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Deano
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby Matrixx » December 10th 2008, 5:09am

Hi backinabox
It would be an idea for sure, but I'm a creature of habit,hehe. I have never dropped one of these (or any other for that matter) so I hope you understand my hesitation in doing this. If I had "detailed" information on what needed to be removed/unhooked, then I would give it a go if it isn't that much more work. I don't want to "hack" my baby to pieces either. And I do agree, that you do run a good chance of damage somewhere pulling it through the front.

Hmm, I just had a brain [email protected] (excuse me), I'm wondering if it could be dropped from behind where the transmission sits? Remove the transmission, and pull the motor back and down through that gap?. I'll have to take measurements on that to see. If anyone has a detailed write up on dropping the sub frame I would be grateful to read it. Think, think, think, that's all I ever do,hehe. Thanks. :)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby doyoulikeithere » December 10th 2008, 5:27am

just off the top of my head i'd say you need to start by draining coolant, diconnecting coolant hoses, maybe pull the rad..
unplugging all the electrical wiring harness from the engine sensors, alternator and starter.as if you were preppin to pull the eng.
Disconnect brake lines from master cyl if they attach to subframe.
Diconnect hydraulic clutch if your very very luck. he he.
Disconnect steering shaft at steering box.
Diconnect the exhaust pipes at headers.
Disconect transmission shift linkage, driveshaft and wires/speedo.
Disconnect the fuel supply lines to the engine.
I forget, but you may need to unhook the ebrake cable....
Take off front bumper
undo the six body mounts, and support the subrame to prevent tipping.
lift the body up and off with a jack or cherry picker.
Supprt the body and roll out the subframe.
No special tools required except good brains and some cold beer, or was that cold brains and good beer, lol.
:twisted:
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: doyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » December 10th 2008, 6:00am

Hi doyoulikeithere
Thanks very much for the information, I'm going to take a serious look at it now. If you or anyone can think of anything else to add, please do so, Thanks. :)
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Previous