'94 Chevy Astro Smog Results

'94 Chevy Astro Smog Results

Postby ASTROMFG [OP] » August 2nd 2014, 4:26am

smog1.jpg
Smog2.jpg
Greetings!

I went in for a smog check today and failed due to defective ignition timing it was set at (04 ATDC) advanced by a few degrees. The emission numbers barely passed during the first test. The tech adjusted the timing to 00 TDC and we underwent another test to find that the NOX levels skyrocketed and the hydrocarbons increased as well . The change in ignition timing had an adverse affect on the emissions so what could possibly be the culprit? The van has 184k miles.
Original Poster [OP]
ASTROMFG
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: ASTROMFG has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROMFG has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROMFG has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROMFG has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROMFG has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROMFG has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1994 astro tail pipe clamp
    by xit » September 14th 2020, 8:56pm in Exhaust
    4 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! View the latest post
    September 14th 2020, 9:52pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 25th 2020, 3:26am

Re: '94 Chevy Astro Smog Results

Postby markmitch » August 2nd 2014, 6:09am

ask Chevy Maher he knows all, lol just stopped to say hello I am from Nor Cal.. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 614
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » August 2nd 2014, 9:24am

ASTROMFG wrote: The change in ignition timing had an adverse affect on the emissions so what could possibly be the culprit?

People that run the state of calif are idiots, that is the culprit. It passed emissions, they re-tuned it and it didn't pass anymore. Really do I need to say more.
Reading went the opposite direction that they should have for the timing change. So I thinking the timing chain is stretched and that is why the timing was advanced to compensate.
De-carbon the engine with some water. Shoot water into the intake with a squirt bottle and let it smoke. Revving the engine at the same time. Run a gallon of lacquer thinner in a tank of gas to clean out the catalytic converter. That will help the mech end of things.
Check your vacuum lines, leaks are terrible for this. Tune up, incomplete combustion never helps. Some lucas injector cleaner, Same thing raw and not itomized gas kills emissions. Check the EGR for sticking, PCV also.
Before the test. Disconnect the battery 20 minutes to clear the computer. Drive it like a race car an hour before the test get that engine running hot and clean. Jackrabbit starts, run it hard on the freeway to the floor some. :auto-layrubber: Just don't let it idle around. Computer settings will reset as much toward performance as the POS computer will allow.
Once you pass re-advance the timing untill the next test. And go through all this again. No matter what the morons say your engine obviously likes the timing better.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Lumpy » August 2nd 2014, 3:01pm

Sounds like fun. In CA, you are legally mandated to pay someone to take your engine OUT of compliance. Then they issue you a warning that you must have your engine brought into compliance.

I'm embarassed that I was born there... :screaming:

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby icebrrg3rd » August 5th 2014, 10:09pm

Question. How did they determine that you were at 4° ATDC? '94 is still OBD1, IIRC you'd use a timing light on the front timing marks? If so, are they accurate? When swapping my V8, the manual says to note the TRUE TDC and mark it, so when the timing cover is put back on, the timing marks could be checked to see if they were really accurate. So a mass-produced engine that's 20 years old, it's timing marks are dead nuts on, right?!? Yours was 4° off? Probably within tolerance specs, especially if you were running w/o a CHECK ENGINE light and passing emissions.

So how much did it cost you to FAIL? They get their pockets lined from it?

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby 97cargocrawler » August 5th 2014, 11:42pm

I seriously doubt they really checked and if they did I doubt they read it accurately. I had my smog test the other day. When I got home (after passing) I swapped out the distributor. I went to check my timing afterwards and I couldn't even see the index on the engine cover through the fan shroud and all the other crap in the way AND it was so covered in grease it was hidden. I even had to make a silver paint pen mark on the balancer before I could see that to compare. So I KNOW my smog guy just went through the motions and typed in whatever it was supposed to be even though he didn't see sheeeit.

Those number are real bad though regardless. With number that bad I would replace the catalytic converter if you have not already.

Mine for comparison:

97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby californiaastroluv76 » October 18th 2014, 9:36pm

ASTROMFG wrote:
smog1.jpg
Smog2.jpg
Greetings!

I went in for a smog check today and failed due to defective ignition timing it was set at (04 ATDC) advanced by a few degrees. The emission numbers barely passed during the first test. The tech adjusted the timing to 00 TDC and we underwent another test to find that the NOX levels skyrocketed and the hydrocarbons increased as well . The change in ignition timing had an adverse affect on the emissions so what could possibly be the culprit? The van has 184k miles.

clean your EGR Valve and replace your air filter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51z-k4YRHI4
californiaastroluv76
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: californiaastroluv76 has been a member for 8 full yearscaliforniaastroluv76 has been a member for 8 full yearscaliforniaastroluv76 has been a member for 8 full yearscaliforniaastroluv76 has been a member for 8 full yearscaliforniaastroluv76 has been a member for 8 full yearscaliforniaastroluv76 has been a member for 8 full yearscaliforniaastroluv76 has been a member for 8 full yearscaliforniaastroluv76 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 47
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1993