What muffler to make my V6 sound like a V8?

Re: What muffler to make my V6 sound like a V8?

Postby astroturf » April 12th 2010, 11:20pm

Gary, In fairness to yourself, I challenge you to read this link. After you are done, I will listen to what you think about it that's a crappy mod. Until then you should get on board with one of the best bolt on mods for our vans, That doesn't cost you an arm & a leg (think V8 swap). Jimmy

http://www.gibsonexhaust.com/tech.html

PS, I've have learned something from that link. And like I said earlier, I will have one of these systems on my van.

PSS, F the post count GARY. Read the link and weep Ole Man... Said as a term of endearment... :rofl: :rolling: :rofl: :rolling: :rofl: :rolling:
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • What is the stock OEM muffler length?
    by dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! » July 22nd 2020, 10:07pm in Exhaust
    1 Replies
    Last post by chevymaher View the latest post
    July 22nd 2020, 11:10pm
  • Muffler rattling diagnosis
    by Godron629 » August 31st 2020, 3:26am in Exhaust
    38 Replies
    Last post by K-TRON View the latest post
    September 18th 2020, 4:07am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 3:07pm

Postby Gary » April 13th 2010, 12:00am

astroturf wrote:Gary, In fairness to yourself, I challenge you to read this link. After you are done, I will listen to what you think about it that's a crappy mod. Until then you should get on board with one of the best bolt on mods for our vans, That doesn't cost you an arm & a leg (think V8 swap). Jimmy

PS, I've have learned something from that link. And like I said earlier, I will have one of these systems on my van.

PSS, F the post count GARY. Read the link and weep Ole Man... Said as a term of endearment... :rofl: :rolling: :rofl: :rolling: :rofl: :rolling:

So Jim what is that company selling??. :poke: All engines are air pumps that work in conjunction with a series of mods to create a system.Putting in a element in the middle of that system doesn't really mean much.It does in fact change parameters that these computer vans doesn't like.

These exhaust manufactures have been selling product to glazed over eye buyers for yrs never telling the big picture/rest of the story.

For yrs I was one part of a partnership that travel a circuit of swap meets and shared dinner with many of these guys.I won't get into details,but you are being advised as to what they said over dinner in private about you guys as buyers.I think I am implying what conclusion you can make on your own.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: high top

Postby astroturf » April 13th 2010, 12:06am

Gary wrote:
astroturf wrote:Gary, In fairness to yourself, I challenge you to read this link. After you are done, I will listen to what you think about it that's a crappy mod. Until then you should get on board with one of the best bolt on mods for our vans, That doesn't cost you an arm & a leg (think V8 swap). Jimmy

So Jim what is that company selling??. :poke: All engines are air pumps that work in conjunction with a series of mods to create a system.Putting in a element in the middle of that system doesn't really mean much.It does in fact change parameters that these computer vans doesn't like.

These exhaust manufactures have been selling product to glazed over eye buyers for yrs never telling the big picture/rest of the story.

For yrs I was one part of a partnership that travel a circuit of swap meets and shared dinner with many of these guys.I won't get into details,but you are being advised as to what they said over dinner in private about you guys as buyers.I think I am implying what conclusion you can make on your own.

OK Gary, You WIN. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: Lil Jimmy & I, Salute you...
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » April 13th 2010, 12:11am

Gezzz your tough to teach. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :mrgreen:
Gary
Dearly Departed
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » April 13th 2010, 12:32am

Gary wrote:Gezzz your tough to teach. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :mrgreen:

OK Gary, I'll talk to you. Teach me plainly in black and white. Go slowly and explain why the Gibson engineered exhaust I'm going to put on my van is no good. The floor is yours. All eyes are on you.
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mr_Bowtie » April 13th 2010, 2:01am

Let face it guys if you plan on doing any mods to your Vans please run them by Gary the performance mod officer first! :lol:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby astroturf » April 13th 2010, 2:29am

Mr_Bowtie wrote:Let face it guys if you plan on doing any mods to your Vans please run them by Gary the performance mod officer first! :lol:

HEAR HEAR, I second the motion. Gary in my book shall be known as the Barney Fife of Performance Mods. GREAT IDEA...
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby jeff's93astro » April 13th 2010, 2:31am

astroturf wrote:
jeff's93astro wrote:Astroturf heres a driving clip best i could do
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RsnabfDIh_8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RsnabfDIh_8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
After watching the video the van is louder than the wind noise but when i was recording the wind noise was louder o yea only the 2 middle pop open windows where open. i figured it would help with hearing it better

Thanks Jeff. That's a Flowmaster 40 series, right? It sounds damn good. Thanks again, Jim

Yea thats a 8yr old 40 series
and Gary i agree with you about theres no better way to make a v8 sound then with a v8 but my dad is still driveing the truck with my v8 for the van until he gets his other truck fixed so i'm stuck with the v6. but if some of the the fellow AstroSafarians here are like me. Even though its just a little v6 i cant stand have a silent vehichle i like a little rumble even if its got what you call "ricey" sound then thats fine just as long as its different over stock and i've got a brother in law that only has hondas and my 4.3 sounds a hell alot better than his pissed off bumble bee honda
95 Astro 5.3L RWD 3/3 drop
88 Silverado 5.3L 2wd 4/6 drop
03 Suburban 5.3L 2wd 3/5 drop
jeff's93astro
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: jeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 55
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: CS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Gary » April 13th 2010, 3:52am

astroturf wrote:
Mr_Bowtie wrote:Let face it guys if you plan on doing any mods to your Vans please run them by Gary the performance mod officer first! :lol:

HEAR HEAR, I second the motion. Gary in my book shall be known as the Barney Fife of Performance Mods. GREAT IDEA...

Well now both of you can kiss my butt. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Not going to stand back and watch you guys turn this site into a suit-o ricer Astro site.

Go ahead and spend you money on those childish mind games.Just because it is louder is must be better.

Either of you know what your turning away for advise.

Ignorance to the facts of how these engines work is blissful and all is happy times for all.THAT IS A RICER, YOU TURKEYS.

Jim,I guess I have to go back to my original impression of you huh.You know full well what I am saying about that.

So guys where you are today is all you can expect.You have nothing at all to offer me and yet you are sooo quick to refuse to learn.

Might as well go and buy that Honda and come out as what is closet Ricer.

Don't go running to Austin or Jim and say oh,oh,that Gary was mean to me.You took the road to push the buttons and got a response.Really kind of silly when either of you have the time on this site as I do.

Jim you of all people do not need to be calling anyone Barney because with you it is mirror mirror on the wall.

To the community at large I suggest you read the posts of these two and then read the ones I have posted.I stand on THAT record.It all there guys!!!.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » April 13th 2010, 4:05am

astroturf wrote:

With what Gary just said about kissing his butt, And in light of the fact that I gave him the floor to teach me something, But he did not. I want to change my VOTE. I now vote to vote Gary off the island!!! Jim, Jimmy, AstroTurf, Turf, Oh Hell call me what you will. Just don't call me Gary's student. Thank You...
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » April 13th 2010, 4:24am

Here is my pledge.I will ramp-up a thread about exhaust mods.Might not be this wk because of all I have going on,but I will start a thread.It will be on balance and fair on the topic showing both sides.

Jim,I came back and laid down for a nap.So sorry i didn't get to answer your inquiry.Just look for the thread I am going to post.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » April 13th 2010, 4:28am

Gary wrote:Here is my pledge.I will ramp-up a thread about exhaust mods.Might not be this wk because of all I have going on,but I will start a thread.It will be on balance and fair on the topic showing both sides.

Jim,I came back and laid down for a nap.So sorry i didn't get to answer your inquiry.Just look for the thread I am going to post.

I will stay tuned.
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby Woodweasel » April 13th 2010, 5:35am

“The fast and factious” What ever that means. Well I don’t know about the other guy in CA who swapped a V8, but he is either lucky and sneaking by the Smog Test, Has a 20 year old van or it got grandmothered in from another state. But go try and smog a California vehicle that came from the factory with a V6 that is now putting out the emissions of a V8 in California.
“Taking things out of context” It was pretty clear what you thought of the OP and others by the what you wrote and the “Smiles”.
“Replace a muffler.............come on.Give me a break."
I guess aftermarket mufflers aren’t considered a “Mod” to you. Oh! I forgot! The Great Muffler Conspiracy. :sleep:

“But to draw a line in the sand as I am and say man does that sounds like,looks like,OMG is...........is offensive to you does speak volumes to the type cast I have described as a want-to-be.”
You don’t seem to understand. I didn’t take it offensively at all. I don’t have a problem with you voicing your opinion, that’s what a forum is. I do have a problem with cutting someone down because they like a certain sound or a certain look and you don’t. You can think that sounds….. looks….. what ever, its about keeping your snide remarks to yourself and helping other Astro owners, at least that’s what I thought this site was about. So I have been type cast a “want-to-be” , the key word here being “type-cast”. Why? because I, like so many others on this site, are not a living Astro Shop Manual. Who have a job, family and friends that come before seeking knowledge about every aspect of an Astro. Just out of curiosity, what is your definition of a want-to-be ? What am I wanting to be?

Im not even going to go into the Muffler/Header Co. Conspiracy Theory. That horse has been beat into dirt.

“The major difference is those people who have come threw this site is they are more than willing to do the work completely so the end results where there and NOT just try to short cut it for the benefit of their own head games.That Sir is the false premise that I have a issue with and not just the install of a V8. If you look at the title of this thread it is asking "how to make a V6 sound like a V8"”
I don’t understand these “Head games” or the “False Premise” you’re talking about. And Yes! The name of the thread is "how to make a V6 sound like a V8” I really don’t think the original poster thought he could actually get the actual V8 sound out of his V6, I think he was asking which muffler would make it sound less stock and a little more V8ish, a little more rumble. And if he did think it might be possible for it to happen, then you tell him in a respectable fashion that it isn’t possible. I don’t think anyone is playing any head games.

“So to sum it up with "my" attitude,I have advised guys with 4.3's for gear changes,tranny mods,lifts,lowering,wheels and tires,.........well that is the tradition that has made this forum what it is.Anyone who wants to get aboard with that can read the posts I make.”
I am not challenging your advice or the amount. You seem to be a very knowledgeable, and its GREAT you are sharing your opinion. I just don’t see the point in getting ticked and coming across like a pompous, self righteous…… If there is a thread that upsets you, don’t respond to it if your whole reason is to belittle them. Did they really deserve that? Just a guy asking a question and then gets that little temper tantrum thrown at him.

“BTW,Jimmy,you have been on the sites long enough to form your own opinions.I suggest you start posting that and not be led so easily.”

I think Jimmy is a big boy, he can form his own opinion and voice it all by himself. Its not the subject or the opinion, it’s the way it was delivered. And I didn’t read anyone challenging your amount of posts or their content. I think everyone would agree you have contributed above and beyond.

You seem to have a hang up with “Ricers”. I thought I knew what a ricer was, but had to check anyway. This link should take you to the “Urban Dictionary” and its description of a ricer.
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term ... fid=559902

And to the rest of you guys and (I love it!) gals, I’m sorry. This is an Outstanding Site! Easy to understand and navigate. And professionally maintained. I have learned a lot about the computer aspect of engines by reading posts. I’m just an Old School, 60’s muscle car guy that didn’t have to deal with a computer controlling everything back in the day. But I guess that post was the straw. I don’t like to see someone belittled. Some constructive criticism, sure! Everyone needs a little every now and again. Talking down to someone is just one of those things that’s guaranteed to get the fire stoked. I used to enjoy helping out the neighborhood kids figure out what was wrong with their rides, now I cant get through the vacuum lines and sensors to see the engine. And they would ask some stupid questions, questions that were stupid to me because I had the knowledge and experience they didn’t. But you don’t belittle, that drives them away and they loose interest. They are in school. Learning something, and as long as they keep on learning, that’s a good thing! Which is kinda what this site is in a sense, a school. Were all teaching and learning. Sometimes were the teacher, sometimes the student. Kinda relates to life too. Hhmm

I’ll be quiet now. :wave:
Woodweasel
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Woodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 140K miles

Postby Mr_Bowtie » April 13th 2010, 2:29pm

^Exactly! I believe first and foremost we are all here with one thing in common a interest in Astro Safari Vans...........and that should be enough to have respect for your fellow AS owners/site members. :D

By the way Jeff sounds good for a 4.3L!! :layrubber:
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years

Postby Gary » April 13th 2010, 3:38pm

Mr_Bowtie wrote:^Exactly! I believe first and foremost we are all here with one thing in common a interest in Astro Safari Vans...........and that should be enough to have respect for your fellow AS owners/site members. :D

That is earned.Posts contents counts.Earnest newbie questions have been answered.Direction of a site isn't a bad thing.Treatment of a tech Astro site as a blog discouraged.History of this site revealed.Opinion by me justified numerous times in these posts.Replies lacking respect of me event.Still I am the oldest member is a given.Will match posts content with anyone.More valid advise given than anyone who is criticized me.Record of that doesn't lie. :naughty:
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » April 13th 2010, 3:51pm

Gary wrote:
Mr_Bowtie wrote:^Exactly! I believe first and foremost we are all here with one thing in common a interest in Astro Safari Vans...........and that should be enough to have respect for your fellow AS owners/site members. :D

That is earned.Posts contents counts.Earnest newbie questions have been answered.Direction of a site isn't a bad thing.Treatment of a tech Astro site as a blog discouraged.History of this site revealed.Opinion by me justified numerous times in these posts.Replies lacking respect of me event.Still I am the oldest member is a given.Will match posts content with anyone.More valid advise given than anyone who is criticized me.Record of that doesn't lie. :naughty:

Oh Please, DROP IT. You ain't all that...
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mr_Bowtie » April 13th 2010, 4:06pm

astroturf wrote:
Gary wrote:

X2! :animals-deadhorse:
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby astro355 » April 13th 2010, 5:10pm

Play nice guys.

And Gary, this is mine. :nono: :mrgreen: :nono:
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Gary » April 13th 2010, 9:09pm

astroturf wrote:
Gary wrote:

But Jim I am sooooo unreasonable cute as you can see.............

:eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » April 13th 2010, 10:02pm

Gary wrote:

But Jim I am sooooo unreasonable cute as you can see.............

[ http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/garysgifts/other/IMG_0272Custom.jpg ]

:eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Come on Gary, You are just so modest... But, This is the one I use...

GARY.jpg

Signed: JIMMY :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualbutt:
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext