1986 Astro Fuel Hose Specifications

1986 Astro Fuel Hose Specifications

Postby by-default [OP] » May 6th 2020, 8:36pm

I used to have an Astro Van, and just found an old text file I made in 2010 when I replaced the fuel hoses near the tank, with some information on the fuel hose specifications.

I thought I would be nice and share; it doesn't seem this information is easily available anywhere. My Astro had the 16-gallon fuel tank.

Each hose is labeled with a GM hose specification, then a date of manufacture, some letters (not sure what they mean), and a hose diameter. Following are the hose lengths and labels.

• filler hose: held on by a screw clamp at each end, labeled SIZE 36
    measured to be between 158 and 160 mm long (6.3")
    says GM 6196-M 03 12 86 KV-B 2"

• vent hose (to filler): held on by one clamp at each end, but not a screw clamp, one of those type you have to remove with a pliers.
    measured to be between 250 and 253 mm long (9.96")
    says KV-L 5/8 GM 6165-M 02 06 86

• There is one other 5/8 inch vent hose in the fuel system, and it is at the other end of the same line, right up at the fuel filler instead of down by the tank. I was planning on replacing this one too, but I didn't. The original part was formed with a 90 degree turn at the upper end, instead of just being standard hose like all the others.

• pump hose: held on by two small screw clamps at each end
    measured to be between 348 and 351 mm long (13.77")
    says GM 6163-M 02 11 86 KV-BR 3/8

• return hose: held on by one small screw clamp at each end
    measured to be between 287 and 288 mm long (11.32")
    says GM 6163-M 02 26 86 PRC D 5/16

• vent hose (to canister): held on by one pliers clamp at each end
    measured to be 285 mm long (11.22")
    says GM 6198-M KVL 01 07 86 1/4
Original Poster [OP]
by-default
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: by-default has been a member for 10 full yearsby-default has been a member for 10 full yearsby-default has been a member for 10 full yearsby-default has been a member for 10 full yearsby-default has been a member for 10 full yearsby-default has been a member for 10 full yearsby-default has been a member for 10 full yearsby-default has been a member for 10 full yearsby-default has been a member for 10 full yearsby-default has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 8
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: CS 4.3L 5-spd.