P0440 Trouble code

P0440 Trouble code

Postby BlipOnTheRadar [OP] » September 5th 2016, 9:33pm

Morning ladies and Gents, I need some help please....

I am the proud owner of a 2002 GMC safari with under 90K on it, and I am having trouble getting this trouble code fixed correctly. The shop I am dealing with is basically shooting in the dark and i am tired of it. I have replaced nearly everything in the eval system but the "canister" and as it doesn't have a actual sensor on it, I am not ready to chuck more money at this problem until I hear from a few of your folks. I have already replaced the three most often troubling parts, the gas cap, the vent solenoid and there is one more up under the dog house and i forget its name, for now. Help? All ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BTW. I can do most of the work, I at one time did this stuff for a living, but circumstances and health issues took me out of the game about 15 years ago, and as the saying goes, use it or loose it. :confused: I just can't do any lifting or twisting to get under dashes, so I started to try on shops. needless to say, they got me going and coming. bring it in, we warranty our work, oops, you have this wrong now... opps it is this now... well, all but the canister in this system has been replaced now and i need to know if this is a possible problem, and the component location please? Maybe i can put eyes on the lines and or the wires and find one loose?

Thanks for any time you folks give me.

BlipOnTheRadar.
Original Poster [OP]
BlipOnTheRadar
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: BlipOnTheRadar has been a member for 4 full yearsBlipOnTheRadar has been a member for 4 full yearsBlipOnTheRadar has been a member for 4 full yearsBlipOnTheRadar has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Don
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Trouble getting bolt loose
    by Ajrichy81 » August 22nd 2020, 2:51am in Technical Information
    1 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    August 25th 2020, 3:53am
  • CODE P0449
    by Westcoast SRA » September 13th 2020, 9:15pm in Technical Information
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    September 15th 2020, 8:47pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 25th 2021, 8:47pm

Re: P0440 Trouble code

Postby Leeann_93 » September 6th 2016, 3:28am

So you replaced the vent solenoid, the purge solenoid and the gas cap?

There is a sensor on top of the fuel tank. It doesn't often go bad, but it does need a 5v reference signal to work properly. If that signal is missing or weak, you'll get the code.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby BlipOnTheRadar [OP] » September 7th 2016, 10:59am

You will have to forgive an old fart like me, but i want to say that all of the electronic junk has been replaced now. At least as far as the parts themselves. So my question to you is this, the vent sensor you are talking about needs a 5v signal to operate properly. So i should be able to unplug and "key on" hang a volt meter on it and get a reference of 5v? when you say a weak signal, do you mean 4.5v? less?

Next, i need to say also, that normally i keep my gas tank fairly full. like most of a tank or above half way, unless i am driving long distance and I will run it down to a quarter or less. this van sits a bit, now and then going 4-7 days between starts. This time, when the light can on it had been siting for about 5 days, and had about a 1/4th tank of gas. Is it possible that the actual canister is the issue? being a leaker? or full of vapor and not purging correctly? I keep coming back to this idea, and it seems logical, i just am too cheep to buy a new one and "find out"... it is like 125.00 new...

thanks for your time folks, please post more ideas!!!

Blip...
Original Poster [OP]
BlipOnTheRadar
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: BlipOnTheRadar has been a member for 4 full yearsBlipOnTheRadar has been a member for 4 full yearsBlipOnTheRadar has been a member for 4 full yearsBlipOnTheRadar has been a member for 4 full years

Postby sixsix » September 7th 2016, 12:27pm

Have you mentioned what is " Actually Wrong " with your Van? What did "they" say the P0440 was about?

I see a bit of parts changing and a lot of hand wringing, but no info about What is going on or better yet - " Why did you take it to a shop ".

And I understand you can't work on them anymore.

:shrug:

Mike
Last edited by sixsix on September 7th 2016, 1:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... Anyone that condones the actions of the American People during the Storming of the Capitol are as complicit as the Assholes themselves.
But no way does this let the Democrats or the MSM off the Hook.

sixsix
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Leeann_93 » September 7th 2016, 12:57pm

It's the fuel tank pressure sensor and it mounts onto the top of the fuel pump.

Without that 5v reference signal, you will get a code. Often, the wire breaks/chafes somewhere on its run to the tank.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby BlipOnTheRadar [OP] » September 8th 2016, 1:38am

sixsix wrote:Have you mentioned what is " Actually Wrong " with your Van? What did "they" say the P0440 was about?

I see a bit of parts changing and a lot of hand wringing, but no info about What is going on or better yet - " Why did you take it to a shop ".

And I understand you can't work on them anymore.

:shrug:

Mike

No hand wringing here, just a PO customer. in texas you can't get a veichle inspected and tagged if you can't pass the emotions testing, IE codes, no pass. I took it to the shop only for this problem, the truck runs fine. I knew it was a P0440 code, and i did the usual things looking for the issue... a gas cap, basic visual inspection for cuts breaks... i also did the purge valve at the engine end of the BS wile i was in doing some minor maintenance.. ( Plugs/wires) but code keeps re-seting. and yes, i do have an inexpensive scanner that allows me to clear the codes, so this is not a left over. My question remains, can the carbon can create the issue? can it be full? and not purge properly? causing the code?

:confused:

Thanks again guys.

Blip..
Original Poster [OP]
BlipOnTheRadar
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroWill » September 8th 2016, 2:43am

BlipOnTheRadar wrote:in texas you can't get a veichle inspected and tagged if you can't pass the emotions testing

Crap, I better never move to TX, I don't have any emotions left.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » September 8th 2016, 2:50am

A leak in a hose in the system. They run a long way hidden. Or a bad switch are the biggest things I found dealing with the smog police.

Now once it has been fixed it will still show the code. It has to work right for so many drive cycles to go off in the long term memory. The one the smog police care about. A cycle is driving it till it is completely warmed up. Then completely going to a cold start. 4-5 times doing this. Before the long term code will clear.

I went through this with mom's. On hers it was the stupid electronic switch that controls the tank venting that went bad.

Now my issue with this is. No light no clue anything is wrong, long term memory issue. Not short term setting a code and light, try to smog it fails. Surprise! So now you got expired tags. If you can't drive it till it has tags. You have to pass smog to get tags. How you going to drive it a week to cycle it so it will pass smog. Not to mention a failed attempt and have to retry. Could take a long time. Another example of a egghead with a degree that don't have the common sense of a acorn writing laws.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby sixsix » September 8th 2016, 11:35am

Hey,

Anyone know what a "P0440 Trouble code" is?

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... Anyone that condones the actions of the American People during the Storming of the Capitol are as complicit as the Assholes themselves.
But no way does this let the Democrats or the MSM off the Hook.

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » September 8th 2016, 12:09pm

sixsix wrote:Hey,

Mike

No I am not looking that stuff up. That is getting to be to much like work. :confused:
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby DarkAstro » September 8th 2016, 4:16pm

sixsix wrote:Hey,

Mike

It means a EVAP Small Leak has been detected.
DarkAstro
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: DarkAstro has been a member for 4 full yearsDarkAstro has been a member for 4 full yearsDarkAstro has been a member for 4 full yearsDarkAstro has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Dark-O
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

Postby DarkAstro » September 8th 2016, 4:24pm

The best way to solve this problem is to do a smoke test on the evap system. The smoke machine will put a little pressure in the lines and inside the fuel tank to whether or not something is wrong with the EVAP. The smoke will show where your leak is being detected. The smoke won't harm the evap system.
DarkAstro
Years of Membership: DarkAstro has been a member for 4 full yearsDarkAstro has been a member for 4 full yearsDarkAstro has been a member for 4 full yearsDarkAstro has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Dark-O
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD