96 Astro timing issue

96 Astro timing issue

Postby Motto [OP] » June 18th 2011, 8:00am

I had recently took out my distributor to check for gear wear, which was present, but not bad. When i reinstalled it I think I screwed up. Sometimes it is hard to start, less often it acts like the timing is advanced (bucks and sounds like it runs backward for a second). I think I may have installed it a tooth off. The advance at idle hovers at -20 degrees and with acceleration has been at -38 degrees, not sure what specs are. What is the proper way to check base timing on a 96?
Original Poster [OP]
Motto
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Motto has been a member for 9 full yearsMotto has been a member for 9 full yearsMotto has been a member for 9 full yearsMotto has been a member for 9 full yearsMotto has been a member for 9 full yearsMotto has been a member for 9 full yearsMotto has been a member for 9 full yearsMotto has been a member for 9 full yearsMotto has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Faulty parking brake switch/abs issue
    by Wokka » August 26th 2020, 8:56pm in Technical Information
    2 Replies
    Last post by Wokka View the latest post
    August 27th 2020, 7:17am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 1:01am

Re: 96 Astro timing issue

Postby chevymaher » June 18th 2011, 10:23am

Motto wrote:I had recently took out my distributor to check for gear wear, which was present, but not bad. When i reinstalled it I think I screwed up. Sometimes it is hard to start, less often it acts like the timing is advanced (bucks and sounds like it runs backward for a second). I think I may have installed it a tooth off. The advance at idle hovers at -20 degrees and with acceleration has been at -38 degrees, not sure what specs are. What is the proper way to check base timing on a 96?

Engine Rotated
This procedure applies when the engine has been rotated with the distributor removed.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery and remove the console cover.
Tag and disconnect the electrical connector(s) from the distributor.
Remove the distributor cap (DO NOT remove the ignition wires) from the distributor and move it aside.
Using a crayon or chalk, make locating marks (for installation purposes) on the rotor, the ignition module, the distributor housing and the engine.
Loosen and remove the distributor clamp bolt and clamp, then lift the distributor from the engine.
Noting the relative position of the rotor and the module alignment marks, make a second mark on the rotor to align it with the one mark on the module.
To install:
Install a new O-ring on the distributor housing.
Rotate the crankshaft to position the No. 1 cylinder on the TDC of compression stroke. This may be determined by inserting a rag into the No. 1 spark plug hole and slowly turning the engine crankshaft. When the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the 0 mark on the timing scale and the rag is blown out by the compression, the No. 1 piston is at top-dead-center (TDC).
Turn the rotor so that it will point to the No. 1 terminal of the distributor cap.
Install the distributor into the engine block. It may be necessary to turn the rotor, a little in either direction, in order to engage the gears.
Tap the starter a few times to ensure that the oil pump shaft is mated to the distributor shaft.
Bring the engine to No. 1 TDC again and check to see that the rotor is indeed pointing toward the No. 1 terminal of the cap.
With the respective marks aligned, install the clamp and bolt finger tight.
Install and secure the distributor cap.
Connect the electrical connector(s) to the distributor.
Connect a timing light to the engine (following the manufacturer's instructions). Start the engine, then check and/or adjust the timing.
Turn the engine OFF, tighten the distributor clamp bolt and remove the timing light.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser