Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

manuals

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Have a 2002 LT and a 99 LS Just bought a set of manuals for the 99. Feel like I scored at 25 bucks. Found a set of manuals for the 2002, but they want 150 bucks. Are these vans close enough in design/specifications or do I need to pony up the dollars, and own two sets of manuals?

#2 ·
They are close, but the '02 has a BCM and the '99 doesn't. The '99 has an EGR and the '02 doesn't. The '99 has 2 coolant temp senders and the '02 only has 1. There are several other differences, but the big one is the BCM.

If you keep an eye out on eBay, you can score a deal on the manuals for the '02.

#6 ·
Thanks , guess I will keep looking for the 2002 manuals after all. Fortunately the 02 has no current needs. I know you can look things up here, but I want manuals next to me out in the shop.

#10 ·
1lowcab said:
:text-yeahthat:
You don't even want to know the price of the 03-05 factory manuals!
Yea, I was blown away by the prices. Guess most were switching to digital by that time. The GM Techline eSI virtual machine works great for me. I have only ever had to print out a couple of diagrams to take to the vehicle with me.

#11 ·
I paid $30.00 for the manuals for my 97 Astro Van and had to pay $300.00 for manuals for my wife's 2005 Uplander. I am beginning to hate the Uplander, have to replace at least one wheel hub per year. I replaced one this summer and now that it is 0° to 18°F with a foot of fresh fallen snow, another wheel sensor goes bad taking out her ABS, AWD and traction control.

#12 ·
I am beginning to hate the Uplander, have to replace at least one wheel hub per year.
Really? I have 2 Uplanders, an 07 and an 05, I've had both for about 8 or 9 years. I've only done one hub on the 05, they have both been really dependable.

The 07 when I first got it I had to do the intermediate shaft and replace the plastic gaskets on the crossover pipe, after that its been great. And the 05 I had to do an 02 sensor.

Before those I had 2 Chevy Ventures.....now those were in my shop more then on the road, lol!

#13 ·
I have used Timken, Moog and AC Delco hubs and the wheel sensors are what goes wrong in them. The LR will go bad and I replace it. Then the RF will go bad the following year. You can't buy just the wheel sensors so you replace the whole wheel bearing hub assembly. Other than that, the Uplander has been dependable. I have had to do no other repairs, just maintenance. I have replaced so many hubs, I can get them done in almost an hour now. We bought it 5 years ago and it only had 49,000 miles on it. It belonged to US Fish & Wildlife vehicle before that. Now it has 115,000 miles on it and every year one of the hubs goes out. I am about to try replacing all four hubs at once so maybe I could go 2,3, or 4 years without replacing them. They always go bad in the winter. It is AWD.

#19 ·
Milky said:
dramey said:
Click on the link in AstroWill's signature.
Thanks!! He's got some other good stuff in there too! I didn't see it because I'm on mobile and apparently his sig isn't posting.
That does happen. Here is the link that currently lives in my signature https://goo.gl/RCcDSu

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.