Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

**SOLVED** Astro starts when key is turned off!!!! WTH!?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  EZcruiser 
#1 ·
Hello astrosafari-ers! Sounds like a surf band from the 60's... I'm new to register here, but I've lurked around a time or two before. I've searched for information and am currently searching for information on the starting problem my 95 Astro AWD is having. Thanks for looking, here goes..

I let it sit for a couple days and now when I go to start it sometimes it starts and runs fine other times it just cranks and cranks. Today was the worst... I managed to get it started and drove it around the yard! Got up to operating temperature, everything was fine. I got out and was about to check the tires when it started acting like it was binding or under-load if you will and died out. No backfiring, smoking or popping. Tried starting again. Cranked and cranked till i turned the key off. When I turned the key off is when something weird happened. Right at the point of the key clicking through to off, it's like the coil(fully charged) is discharging to the distributor and firing the engine and it will diesel for up to 15-20 seconds sometimes... Assuming that it's just burning off the fuel from not starting when I'm cranking it.

Things that I've done:

Had a new key made from VIN at dealership
Checked for loose wires and connections all up under the dash for the ignition system
Checked the ignition rod connection to the ignition switch
pulled the interior engine hood, checked most visible sensors and wires for damage.

Things I've noticed while it's running:

No matter what wires or connectors I wiggle, nothing will act like it's shorting out or making it stop running.
There is some evidence that a squirrel, bird or mouse has been on top of the engine, some moss was on there and some seeds or nuts or something was stock piled in there..
I put it in drive and held the brake and loaded with the gas pedal and did good for a few seconds, then it was running instantly like crap. Almost like the plug wires were arcing on each other or the coil was malfunctioning or a throttle position sensor(not sure if this van has one?) was going bad. Stumbled sputtered, but kept barely running. I would compare it to running and engine cleaner through the vacuum port of the intake and trying to keep it running. I mashed the gas during this and feathered the gas, but it didn't change anything and it died.

Things I've noticed when it's not starting

After cranking for a second or two and the key is in the "run" position, I can move the key into the "off" position and it will nearly start up, like the plugs are getting a pulse from the coil??? Dieseling from the unburnt fuel I'm assuming.
Again, wiggled all wires and connectors I could a little, no change.
After a random period of time it will start up...

I greatly appreciate your attention span if you've made it this far! If you can give me any tips or hints I would greatly appreciate it!! I won't be like the, literally, hundreds of other threads, where the OP doesn't post up her/his solution. I'm here asking for help, the least I could do is confirm my solution!!!!!!

By the way, I am familiar with multimeters and their functions so if you have any tests that I could run I will post up the results! I do not have a service manual or a Chiltons, again any help there would be appreciated.

Thanks for being here ASTROSAFARI.com!!!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
I think (but, what do I know ?) I would start with the ignition switch, which has nothing to do with the key switch,

other than they are connected mechanically via a push rod between the two. More or less, it is located on top middle

portion of the steering column. You will have to remove the knee bolster to get to the nuts that hold the column up.

Then you will see the ignition switch when the column is dropped somewhat. Don't stress the column in order to force it

down more than it wants to drop on its' own, unless the floor cover plate at the firewall (base of the column) is unbolted

also. Don't forget to unhook the battery first.

Good hunting

Uncle Bob

#10 ·
DONE!
Glad you got it fixed. BTW- don't hesitate to PM a moderator if you need something edited/changed/deleted/whatever, it's what we're here for. I could easily have missed your request and would have had no way to know it was there. We're glad to do things like this when we know about them.

#12 ·
The ignition switch and rod are pretty tricky! After I reviewed the instructions for installation, it was fairly simple to replace and calibrate to the lock cylinder rod! Only thing I recommend is a VERY short phillips head PH2 because of the lack of space!

Thanks everyone!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.