8 wire trailer pigtail

8 wire trailer pigtail

Postby twitchit72 [OP] » July 22nd 2009, 10:24pm

I have a 98 safari and it has the 8 wire trailer pigtail. I see the normal wires there + the orange, blue, white, and an extra green. the manual tells you nothing about these extra wires except the orange goes to the "convenient center" which I assume is the fuse panel under the steering column. My question is: Is my van wired for trailer brakes? if so is there a plug somewhere that a controller can plug into? Where do these other wires go? I get the normal wires (brown , green , white , and yellow) but where can I find these other wires and what are they used for? I am cool with hard wiring a controller in. I just wish I knew where these wires come out under the dash.
Original Poster [OP]
twitchit72
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: twitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Re: 8 wire trailer pigtail

Postby h2omelon » July 22nd 2009, 11:13pm

No one on here would ever answer that question for me on here.I finally found them and will pass the knowledge on. The orange wire will be found under the carpet near the drivers front wheelwell.It will have a plug on it that will plug int the spot labled Nat on the block next to the fuse panel.The blue wire will be bent over and taped to a bundle of wires below the conveinence center under the carpet.You will have to hard wire the controller. Hope this helps. But at least the factory did the hard part and run the orange and blue for you.
h2omelon
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: h2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): Nick
Extra Info: SLE 4.3 RWD

Postby Matrixx » July 23rd 2009, 8:31am

The reason for the no answer comment, was their was absolutely nothing on any diagrams about them. I for one won't give by guess and by golly answers to any question asked.:)

Great post h2omelon.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby h2omelon » July 23rd 2009, 9:42am

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them for future reference.
h2omelon
Years of Membership: h2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full years

Postby twitchit72 [OP] » July 23rd 2009, 4:52pm

Ok thanks. I found both wires right where you said. My orange wire plugs into the slot that says blk or something like that. It is right next to the org. the plug in is the inverse of the org plug. I traced this circut to the under hood fuse panel and found it hooked to a large 30 amp fuse. The blue wire was right where you said as well. This saved me a bunch of time and effort. What year do you have? Mine is a 98 safari. there may have been a minor differance in the plug at the convenience center for year or model. Also the fat white wire seems to be a ground do you happen to know where that one goes? The haynes book has it going to a connector and grounding via black wire. It would be nice to know what gauge the black wire is. I assume it is the same gauge as the white. Thanks for all your help!
Original Poster [OP]
twitchit72
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: twitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full yearstwitchit72 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):

Postby h2omelon » July 23rd 2009, 7:53pm

The big white wire will go to the white wire on your 7 pin connector you are installing to hook your trailer to. My Safari is a 99.Glad this was helpful to you.
h2omelon

Postby d0n » October 31st 2009, 2:12am

h2omelon wrote:I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them for future reference.

Did you ever take those pics?
d0n
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: d0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full yearsd0n has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD SLE