Passlock headache

Passlock headache

Postby leadfoot [OP] » February 21st 2014, 7:08pm

Hi folks. I must first admit that I joined so I could solicit a little help getting my little brother's 99 Safari up and running. It is the basic passlock/security issue. I have

already replaced the ignition housing with a new GM, then the key and tumbler with an aftermarket one. I cannot seem to get the system to re-learn the new key despite using virtually every reset combination I can find. I need to know what my next step is. Seems most people that replace the parts do not have any issues getting the system reset.

Just a little history, it quit on him and he took a lot of stuff offit, including the front of the engine. He has the belt off the alternator. I cannot see a reason it won't start without it. I have a good charger on the battery, and it does the initial start and shuts off in about 2-3 seconds.

I am at my wit's end, and need to get this thing off my lift. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim
Original Poster [OP]
leadfoot
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: leadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: V6 2WD

Re: Passlock headache

Postby sfeaver » February 22nd 2014, 2:07am

What does the security light do? Flashing after trying to start?
sfeaver
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby leadfoot [OP] » February 22nd 2014, 8:52pm

It stays on, steady. Never flashes. I'm taking the aftermarket key and set out and retrying the old oem. Removed the oem because the key was so worn it kept hanging up. No spare key available
Original Poster [OP]
leadfoot
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: leadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full yearsleadfoot has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby safariking » February 22nd 2014, 9:27pm

the security dosn't usually set unless it is flashing however the way to do it is disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes. reconnect battery turn key to run position,security light will flash for about 10 min then go solid when it does give the key a quick jolt but don't try to start it. do the same process 3 times on the 3rd time when the lights solid turn the key and start it. if you've done it correct it will start when its running with the upper and lower plastic covers removed from the steering column unplug the 3 wire plug where the ignition is (believe its black, red,yellow and then the light will stay solid but the security system will be disabled. IMPORTANT:when you unplug the wire the truck must be running! good luck
safariking
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: safariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: SLE 4.3

Postby leadfoot [OP] » February 23rd 2014, 1:21am

I'll give it a try in the morning. I have had the battery disconnected several times, but I do not recall the security light flashing afterwords, only solid. I'll leave the battery off for a good while, as I may not have had it disconnected long enough before. Thanks for the assist, will report findings tomorrow.

Jim
Original Poster [OP]
leadfoot
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby leadfoot [OP] » February 23rd 2014, 5:38pm

Security light never flashed, stayed solid. Would there possibly be a code that needs to be reset?
Original Poster [OP]
leadfoot
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby safariking » February 23rd 2014, 5:52pm

try doing the procedure i mentioned above see if it works what makes you think it might be a passlock problem
safariking
Years of Membership: safariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: SLE 4.3

Postby leadfoot [OP] » February 24th 2014, 2:30am

I did the procedure. Light stayed steady when the battery was hooked back up. I did the procedure anyway and the security light stayed steady the whole time. Reason I felt it was the passlock is the engine starts then dies within a couple seconds after starting. Fuel pressure is good and never drops off. Coil has fire. Only thing I could think of was the fuel injection shuts the engine down, symptom of passlock failure. I would certainly welcome any other options I can explore.

Thx,
Jim
Original Poster [OP]
leadfoot
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » February 24th 2014, 4:12am

Same problem with another member here. Can you read your computer with a scanner?
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby leadfoot [OP] » February 24th 2014, 5:22pm

No scanner. Gonna try and borrow one or persuade a GM Tech buddy of mine to assist. I think its coming down to that...
Original Poster [OP]
leadfoot
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby leadfoot [OP] » February 26th 2014, 12:53pm

GM Tech and I spent 3 hrs chasing wires and using diagnostic equipment. Passlock is not talking to computer, possibly the theft deterrent module. I've decided not to buy anything else to try and trouble shoot it. I'm buying a credit for his laptop tuner and he will program the passlock out of the computer. If that works, and he assures me it will, it will be a good $100 spent. I won't disappear if it fixes it, rather ill post results so it might help someone else.

Thanks for all the input,
Jim
Original Poster [OP]
leadfoot
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Passlock headache also

Postby subwoof » February 26th 2014, 11:48pm

Hello!

Have the exact same issue with a donor 2000 astro that the security light is always on. Previous owner(s) did the resistor bypass but cannot reprogram with it or when returned to stock. Ignition switch / hall sensors and fixed resistance all work when checked so it's a definite brainfart.

I pulled the BCM and resoldered the PWB connections, de-ox'ed the pins and no change. Pulled the instrument cluster and did same. No change.

Since this is astro #3 and all have this system, it's a foregone conclusion to buy a decent scanner with the option to nuke the security all together...

sub
subwoof
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: subwoof has been a member for 6 full yearssubwoof has been a member for 6 full yearssubwoof has been a member for 6 full yearssubwoof has been a member for 6 full yearssubwoof has been a member for 6 full yearssubwoof has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Subwoof
Van Model Year: 2000

Postby leadfoot [OP] » March 1st 2014, 4:34pm

Well van is running. Had a friend use HP Tuner to delete the security system, then reflash the Computer. Engine runs now, with a security light on but that's not an issue, it's just an old work van anyway. Security is bypassed and little brother gets his van back. I did have to buy two credits for the HP Tuner, but that was worth every penny of the hundred bucks!

Main reason for the delete was because the computer wasn't seeing the passlock, and it could have been the TDM or a broken wire somewhere. We just decided to spend the money that we knew would get it running versus buying more parts and hoping they fixed it.

Thanks for the input
Jim
Original Poster [OP]
leadfoot
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby steyr223 rob » January 28th 2017, 8:15pm

I know this is an old thread but what is a hp tuner and how did u flash the computer after clearing it where did u get the software, not a mechanic understand computers but not familiar with car computers
Same issue and my work truck has been stuck at mcdonalds for a week now . No work no money
Thanks
steyr223 rob
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: steyr223 rob has been a member for 3 full yearssteyr223 rob has been a member for 3 full yearssteyr223 rob has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 4.3 v6

Return to Technical Information

It is currently December 3rd 2020, 11:29am

Technical Information Forum
Technical InformationShare wiring schematics or discuss color codes. Run diagnostics, diagnose SES light, check engine light, RPO Codes, or decode VIN numbers and error codes. Get in over your head with prom burning, ALDL data, or ECM topics.
To create a new topic in Technical Information, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Views: 309
Comments: 2
Date: Jul 11 '20
Time: 11:15pm
» Read last comment
Views: 436
Comments: 4
Date: Jun 25 '20
Time: 11:03am