Hard Plastic fuel line, how to disconnect them?

Hard Plastic fuel line, how to disconnect them?

Postby Boricuanology [OP] » November 30th 2014, 9:35am

Ok guys I have search around as well in here about the plastic hard lines that connects to the fuel pump and to the metal hard lines. After lowering the fuel tank enough and after some twisting and a bit of pushing and pulling I disconnected all 3 lines from the hard metal lines, this was good enough to lower the tank.

Now with the tank remove I was able to remove the two end plastic hard lines from the fuel pump itself but had trouble removing the one in the middle. Is this line meant to be used once, meaning you have to break it in order to remove it, because that's what I ended up doing. I accidentally cut the black collar that holds the clip in place while using a small screw driver to remove it and now it comes out easily.

How do you remove this line in particular? Is it a press and pull like the other two and maybe I'm not pressing hard enough or maybe I'm pressing wrong? How much is it new? Is cold outside and don't really feel like going to the U-pull yard but if the line is too expensive out the yard I will go.

Original Poster [OP]
Boricuanology
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Boricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Jimmy
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD LT

Re: Hard Plastic fuel line, how to disconnect them?

Postby sam74 » November 30th 2014, 10:07am

It has been a couple of years since I dealt with the fuel pump but I believe it was press and pull. No they are not one time use only. I seem to remember if you seek replacement at the auto parts store/dealer you can only buy the complete fuel line replacement not pieces and parts.
sam74
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: sam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Steve
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby chevymaher » November 30th 2014, 1:29pm

It is a reusable it was just being a pain in the arse. Quick disconnect my eye. Maybe the day it was made. Be careful when you reassemble. When the plastic gets hard they dont like to lock when put back on. More than once customers who put their own pumps in come over and there was a gas leak. Just got to wiggle and pull untill it locks and wont pull off.

If you broke it then trim back to the hard line get a section of gas use rated rubber line and clamps and use it to connect it there.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Leeann_93 » November 30th 2014, 6:47pm

As they said, it's supposed to be just squeeze and remove. You can get replacements from your LAPS.

Or you can get fuel injection-rated hose and fuel line clamps and replace the quick connects that so often fail, as Randy said. I'd go with this route.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Boricuanology [OP] » December 1st 2014, 12:43pm

when to check if they sell this plastic hose at a auto parts store and the only thing they sell is like a repair kit for it that cost $20. Whet to the you U-Pull yard and got all 3 of the lines for $5.

Did so much driving around and wasted time that couldn't finish my project over the weekend, and working outside in the cold is not my favorite thing to do either but everything is good to go, harness is modify to accept new delphi fuel assembly so all I have to do is put a new fuel filter in and put the gas tank back.
Original Poster [OP]
Boricuanology
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Boricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full yearsBoricuanology has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Jimmy
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: AWD LT