hitch install question

hitch install question

Postby Rmac [OP] » March 9th 2021, 8:21pm

Looking to install a hitch receiver. Seems as if the Hidden Hitch is no longer available which leaves either the Curt 13035, or the DrawTite 75122. Both have similar specs and are more than adequate for my needs.

In the Curt install guide it says "16" spare tire must be relocated". Has anyone run into this and is this a thing? I just have the stock donut underneath there. I don't want to do any spare relocating, at least not for now. Sure a full size mounted on back would be nice but can't do it now due to budget.

Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
Rmac
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Rmac has been a member for 4 full yearsRmac has been a member for 4 full yearsRmac has been a member for 4 full yearsRmac has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD stock for now

Re: hitch install question

Postby chevymaher » March 9th 2021, 9:20pm

Same thing I got donut fits fine.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AstroWill » March 9th 2021, 9:48pm

I would go with the DrawTite or Reese welded over the Curt or Reese(multi-fit) bolted together hitches.

I have the Reese that I bought from a JY for my first Astro(paid ~$15-20 for it), I keep moving it from van to van :) Never had a problem with the spare tire, at all.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1574466
Reese welded hitch: https://amzn.to/3t5oBFG
or other Reese with cover https://amzn.to/38pMOyv
Walmart had the cheapest price though.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Rmac [OP] » March 9th 2021, 10:43pm

AstroWill wrote:I would go with the DrawTite or Reese welded over the Curt or Reese(multi-fit) bolted together hitches.

I have the Reese that I bought from a JY for my first Astro(paid ~$15-20 for it), I keep moving it from van to van :) Never had a problem with the spare tire, at all.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1574466
Reese welded hitch: https://amzn.to/3t5oBFG
or other Reese with cover https://amzn.to/38pMOyv
Walmart had the cheapest price though.

Interesting. That welded Reese looks pretty much identical to the DrawTite. Guessing maybe both are made in the same Chinese factory.

The DrawTite claims 350lbs tongue weight vs 300 for the Reese. Whereas the bolted Curt claims 400.

Have read elsewher on the site the bolted Reese hangs too low, and have ruled that one out.
Original Poster [OP]
Rmac
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Rmac has been a member for 4 full yearsRmac has been a member for 4 full yearsRmac has been a member for 4 full yearsRmac has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » March 10th 2021, 12:29am

Horizon Global Corporation owns Reese, DrawTite, HiddenHitch, and a bunch of other companies. Gotta have the illusion of choice ;)
If they are the same size and same design but one was rated in 96 and the other rated in 2005, or company/subsidiary A uses a different method than company B, could see them coming up with different ratings.
I was looking at the instructions for Curt and noticed that it says 'EXCEPT 16" SPARE' but I don't have any experience with that hitch.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Rmac [OP] » March 10th 2021, 3:00am

AstroWill wrote:Horizon Global Corporation owns Reese, DrawTite, HiddenHitch, and a bunch of other companies. Gotta have the illusion of choice ;)
If they are the same size and same design but one was rated in 96 and the other rated in 2005, or company/subsidiary A uses a different method than company B, could see them coming up with different ratings.
I was looking at the instructions for Curt and noticed that it says 'EXCEPT 16" SPARE' but I don't have any experience with that hitch.

Thanks Sir. Makes sense to me. I think there is one very big company and factory that owns and makes everything. lol
Original Poster [OP]
Rmac
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):