Whats the most weight you would pull daily with a 99 Astro?

Whats the most weight you would pull daily with a 99 Astro?

Postby 66GalaxieStL [OP] » August 30th 2011, 5:47am

So I'm just curious to see what the max weight you would pull if your using this van for work daily? I pull around 2K and sometimes it struggle on hills. I'm not sure my van is in 'tip top' mech. condition or what size gears are in it. Are there any recommendations to what I can do to the van to be able to pull around 3500 to 4k and not start breaking stuff or should I just buy a V8? The reason I love my van is because loaded down I get like 15 MPG combined!
Original Poster [OP]
66GalaxieStL
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Bumper max weight?
    by Fire57 » September 10th 2020, 5:33pm in Towing/Trailers
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    September 10th 2020, 7:32pm
  • Tow bar for 1997 4wd astro
    by GSouthee » July 11th 2020, 5:57pm in Towing/Trailers
    23 Replies
    Last post by Delshan View the latest post
    August 17th 2020, 10:29am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 12:58pm

Re: Whats the most weight you would pull daily with a 99 Ast

Postby Phantom » August 30th 2011, 11:22am

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3379&start=10

Cargo vans can tow up to 5500 lbs , with V8 probably same as a van with a V8

be sure yiou have the trans cooler and items that keep things cool
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby 66GalaxieStL [OP] » August 30th 2011, 2:12pm

What's the difference in a cargo and passenger?
Original Poster [OP]
66GalaxieStL
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years66GalaxieStL has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » August 30th 2011, 2:33pm

Passenger van carry people and have windows on both sides and rear with 3 rows of seating for passengers

Cargo / Delivery van only have 2 front seats , driver and one passenger , the rest of the van is for cargo ; boxes , freight , whatever you want to put in it . more commonly used as utility work vans , they do not have windows on the drivers side of van except for the driver door , the rear doors are the barn door type and may or may not have windows , and the sliding door may or may not have window
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 66GalaxieStL [OP] » August 30th 2011, 4:25pm

Why does a cargo van tow what a truck does but not passenger?
Original Poster [OP]
66GalaxieStL
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby icebrrg3rd » August 30th 2011, 5:09pm

And what about a cargo that was made into a conversion van? :poke:

First, find out what your van came with. Check out this THREAD, the 4th post has a link to decoding your van. This will show what rear-end gears you have, along with any other features, like tow package, heavy duty springs, etc.

Next, you might have hit it when you said "I'm not sure my van is in 'tip top' mech. condition". Give it a tune up. Plugs, wires, rotor & cap, filters, etc. Check your vacuum lines to make sure they're not cracked/rotted/broken. Make sure your EGR is clean & functioning. Lots of little things wrong add up to a van (or car) that isn't as powerful as it once was.

Hope you get it pulling better, and you might even improve that mileage!

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Phantom » August 30th 2011, 5:25pm

icebrrg3rd wrote:And what about a cargo that was made into a conversion van? :poke:

Then it's a Conversion van :lol: :lol: ,if it has seats in it's going to limited on the cargo space :lol:

I'll make it easy to get to that link

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1gndm19w5xb126525

66GalaxieStL wrote:Why does a cargo van tow what a truck does but not passenger?

When I said that a cargo would tow the same as a truck I was responding to you mentioning the V8 so I said that a van with the V8 would tow as much as a truck with a V8 , towing capacity between a cargo and a passenger are still close , the cargo is rated just a little more , probably due to the 8 people in a passenger van with some personal cargo and the weight of the seats average weight of person 175 , the passenger is already well loaded with weight , and the cargo van may not always be loaded to full capacity,, I am not sure why it is rated more ,it's just that I see that tow rating of cargo vans rated a little higher , but since the drive train is about the same the both will tow about the same , gearing may be a factor to get a load rolling easier

icebrrg3rd wrote:This will show what rear-end gears you have, along with any other features, like tow package, heavy duty springs, etc.

Next, you might have hit it when you said "I'm not sure my van is in 'tip top' mech. condition". Give it a tune up. Plugs, wires, rotor & cap, filters, etc. Check your vacuum lines to make sure they're not cracked/rotted/broken. Make sure your EGR is clean & functioning. Lots of little things wrong add up to a van (or car) that isn't as powerful as it once was.
-Andrew

This is very true
Attachments
cargo van 2.JPG
cargo van 2.JPG (355.6 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
2nd-gen-Chevrolet-Astro-cargo-van-photo.jpg
2nd-gen-Chevrolet-Astro-cargo-van-photo.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher » August 31st 2011, 2:42am

I'm getting about 14 mpg average, my van is always overloaded as far as the door sticker goes. I got on the scales once before picking up rebar and without me or my helper it was just over the numbers on the door. I've added spring and use a bigger caliper on the front brakes, keep it tuned and well maintained but would not tow anything with it. I did put a 3:73 rear in her recently so it has more pull but these little trucks just were not made for that much daily abuse. No matter what we do short of putting a full frame under them they are unibody vehicles. My little truck has 240,000 miles on her and the last 115k were mine loaded as I described, hard miles. Now she rattles and groans but I keep her running good and tighten and grease all the time. When I put this truck to pasture I'll take a video of the cartoon like implosion, i expect a big sigh and the wheels then doors to fall off.
In the past year I've replaced, rebuilt, upgraded the rear end, trans, steering box, front calipers, elec fans, misc body work and a few other goodies I won't likely remember till after I post this.
This site is a treasure trove of info.
Proper maintenence is the key to avoid breakage but when you run to excess with loads and towing the best you can do is repair wth Moog and keep the grease gun handy.
good luck!
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD