Installing brake controller and wiring

Installing brake controller and wiring

Postby Tremelune [OP] » November 20th 2017, 10:39pm

I have a 2005 AWD that I'm prepping to tow with, and I'm trying to figure out how to wire in a brake controller. I can't find any kind of socket or harness under the dash, and I didn't find any familiar wiring near the bumper. I have GU6 3.42 gears, so I don't think I have the tow package.

Do I have to run wires myself or does every Astro come with something? Presumably I want a 5-pole flat connector?

The only wiring I found was this thing:

Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Tremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):

Re: Installing brake controller and wiring

Postby Tremelune [OP] » November 20th 2017, 11:17pm

Aha!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6754

It seems that is the wiring I'm looking for. Where does the brake controller connect up front??

I'm trying to figure out if I should install an 8-pin and then just use an adapter for whatever trailer I'm towing, or go with a 5-pin connector and assume it'll cover me for 90% of cases...
Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Years of Membership: Tremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » November 20th 2017, 11:41pm

'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Tremelune [OP] » November 20th 2017, 11:52pm

Unfortunately, that thread seems to have lost its photos. This is what I'm interested in:

The other ends of the orange & dark blue wires will be tucked under the carpet in the left front of the vehicle. Like in this pic. Image [image missing]
The orange wire (dependant on year) will have a connector on it that will plug into the fuse block.
The dark blue wire will need to be connected to the brake controller output wire.

This confuses me:

If you do not have a factory tow package, the wire colors are still the same as above for the lights. You will need to access the wiring at the rear of the vehicle & tap into them for the lights. There is unfortunately, no quick connect plug in that can be used on these vans. The power can be taken off of the 'A' & 'B' power studs in the underhood fuse box to power up the brake controller & the battery feed to the trailer. These studs are fused thru 30 amp maxi fuses.

Am I to believe that bundle of eight wires isn't connected to anything anywhere, or that I somehow have the tow package but no hitch or transmission cooler?

Handy link for wire colors:

http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19
Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Alias (AKA):

Postby Tremelune [OP] » November 20th 2017, 11:59pm

AHA!

Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Alias (AKA):

Postby Tremelune [OP] » November 25th 2017, 11:02pm

Well, I'm hitched. Does anyone know the simplest way to wire up the brake controller? I'm wondering how to connect to the brake light switch, and the easiest place to attach power and ground under the dash.

I had to re-tap (or maybe I was just chasing) the front-most bolt hole, as there was no way the 10x1.5mm bolts were going in otherwise. The factory bolts seem to be oddly self-tapping to degree...This hitch will do the job, but I wish I'd been able to source the Hidden Hitch they used to make for these.

I also had to drill out the hole to run the wires through quite a bit. I fished them by putting a zip-tie up through the hole and wiggling it while feeling for it with my other hand.
Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Alias (AKA):

Postby Tremelune [OP] » December 1st 2017, 11:41pm

Well that wound up being a pain. Here's how I wired my brake controller:

- Power - I cut the orange Aux wire and used it to provide power to the controller from the convenience center. (I won't be towing a trailer with any battery or accessories).

- Ground - I couldn't find a good spot (there isn't one in the brake switch), so I used a bracket.

- Brake switch - Spliced into the white wire on the connector up by the steering column.

- Brakes - I just connected the two blue wires.

Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Alias (AKA):