Gen 1 astro van fit on uhaul car trailer?

Gen 1 astro van fit on uhaul car trailer?

Postby tinworm [OP] » September 21st 2011, 1:20pm

does it fit with normal tires? Picking up a parts van, want to verify this before I get down there.
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 65
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Tow bar for 1997 4wd astro
    by GSouthee » July 11th 2020, 5:57pm in Towing/Trailers
    23 Replies
    Last post by Delshan View the latest post
    August 17th 2020, 10:29am
  • Astro On The Farm
    by Astroecho » August 29th 2020, 4:25am in Towing/Trailers
    3 Replies
    Last post by Astroecho View the latest post
    August 29th 2020, 6:27pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 3rd 2020, 9:43pm

Re: Gen 1 astro van fit on uhaul car trailer?

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » September 21st 2011, 1:50pm

tinworm wrote:does it fit with normal tires? Picking up a parts van, want to verify this before I get down there.

My 90 van fit on a car trailer.Just have the window down to get out, or use the rear door.Because once it on the trailer the 3 front doors wont open it is tight.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby throrope » September 21st 2011, 2:12pm

We brought our '94 AWD Ext home on a U-haul dual axle car carrier with hydraulic surge breaks from a rest stop on I-95 to SE PA, about 60 miles with our V8 Trailblazer. On the way, I thought how nice it would be to own one of these trailers. Talk about a dream. The trailer's integral ramps lined up perfectly with the track on the Astro and the wheel straps ratcheted in place within minutes. It towed straight with no sway on just the ball. The surge brakes worked much better than the electric brakes on our 29 ft. travel trailer. The construction is rock solid.

After that experience, I doubt I'll ever hire a tow truck again. I suggest lining up both front tires yourself without any help from others before riding up on the trailer. That will keep you from riding the rim of the ramp or worse.

Also, U-Haul is extremely conservative with respect to capacities. Before they grant trailer rentals, they verify capacities against a database. In our case, their database had capacities for the base Trailblazer but not our XT with V8 and 3.73 rear that has more than enough. So, as far as they knew, I towed a compact car.

Interesting note. For lengthy moves that require a box truck or similar rental, between the days, mileage charges and gasoline, often a one way rental combined with towing a car on their carrier behind the rental truck is cheaper than bringing the rental truck back to the original location.

Also, if you have a spare EZ-pass transponder, put that in the tow vehicle and stick to the express lanes. The tolls for two cars is less than towing a dual axle trailer.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted.
throrope
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: throrope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT 4.3L AWD

Postby tinworm [OP] » September 21st 2011, 7:20pm

tow vehicle is missing a drag link, and does not run, so should be fun to get on the trailer. :mrgreen: I am towing a '99 geo prism'.

throrope wrote:We brought our '94 AWD Ext home on a U-haul dual axle car carrier with hydraulic surge breaks from a rest stop on I-95 to SE PA, about 60 miles with our V8 Trailblazer. On the way, I thought how nice it would be to own one of these trailers. Talk about a dream.

I agree, the Uhaul car trailers are great. They occasionally sell them, see em around from time to time for sale at uhauls. Considered owning one several times, but always figure I might as well rent one when I need it and not have to worry about registry/maintenance ect.
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Years of Membership: tinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby tinworm [OP] » September 21st 2011, 7:21pm

chevymaher wrote:
tinworm wrote:does it fit with normal tires? Picking up a parts van, want to verify this before I get down there.

My 90 van fit on a car trailer.Just have the window down to get out, or use the rear door.Because once it on the trailer the 3 front doors wont open it is tight.

thanks for the tip, ill make sure there is a way to get out!
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » September 21st 2011, 7:26pm

Hey John,

I just reinstalled the drag link with the worn out one from our 95, like I said I was gonna do. I would bring the two donuts for the front just in case. The real trick is going to be getting the parts truck

down onto the street with no brakes, no E brake either. We'll manage though. I'm starting to "clean out the stuff that stays" Shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 days tops. Ha.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby throrope » September 21st 2011, 8:58pm

RECox286 wrote: The real trick is going to be getting the parts truck down onto the street with no brakes, no E brake either.

Been there done that. I suggest coasting the parts truck down to the street with the tow vehicle tied off with a strong rope behind it for brakes. Did that a long time ago with dad among other less than brilliant efforts.
throrope
Years of Membership: throrope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT 4.3L AWD

Postby tinworm [OP] » September 21st 2011, 9:44pm

RECox286 wrote:Hey John,

I just reinstalled the drag link with the worn out one from our 95, like I said I was gonna do. I would bring the two donuts for the front just in case. The real trick is going to be getting the parts truck

down onto the street with no brakes, no E brake either. We'll manage though. I'm starting to "clean out the stuff that stays" Shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 days tops. Ha.

Bob

ok great! thanks Bob. missed that in pm, sorry.

The van is facing in towards the yard right? if I didn't feel concerned about the weight disposition on the tow trailer, id say it would make sense to back the trailer right up into the yard and pull the van onto it from that direction.

Thats a possible way we could get it down from your upper yard, load it up backwards, drive down onto the street on the back of the trailer, tie it to a tree, pull it off, then load it up properly frontwards. How about that for a time consuming plan? :mrgreen:

That or we could chain it up to the Uhaul truck, and pull it out maybe. I will be bringing lots of chain
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):

Postby tinworm [OP] » September 21st 2011, 9:47pm

throrope wrote:
RECox286 wrote: The real trick is going to be getting the parts truck down onto the street with no brakes, no E brake either.

Been there done that. I suggest coasting the parts truck down to the street with the tow vehicle tied off with a strong rope behind it for brakes. Did that a long time ago with dad among other less than brilliant efforts.

I don't know if there is room to get around in front, Im driving a 10 foot box truck. Good idea though. This should be fun. :D Maybe there is room to push the van a bit back before it takes off down the hill into the street, and get the truck past it to do just that. Its not that big a truck, and fortunately, will be empty on this part of the trip.
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » September 22nd 2011, 12:53am

In my mind I had imagined putting at least one wheeless tire on the front of one of our trucks, then easing into the dead truck, and chaining off to make one vehicle out of the two. Then backing down into the street

and doing a straight back to the other side of the road. We might be able to do it that way, or we might end up peeing into the wind, and getting our shoes wet !

Or, we can put our heads together when you get here. Of course that will probably only result in bigger headaches for us both. Ha.

I don't expect we'll have too much of a problem, when I worked at the station, we moved cars around all the tlme, and for the most part, as I remember, none of them ran, or stopped. I learned a few tricks

back then...

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby tinworm [OP] » September 26th 2011, 3:33am

thanks Bob for the parts van! made it back without incident. the body only moved about 3/4 of an inch over on the rear axle, the chains kept it in place well. That didn't even happen until a big pothole in the CT region

For anyone else towing one of these, the gen 1 vans with stock steel rims and regular tires will just fit on the uhaul car trailer like said elsewhere on the forum. The driver side door could still open on the one I had, which was a pretty old Uhaul trailer, looked to me like it had a lower fender setup than the newer ones.

RECox286's mailbox was almost a casualty of the loading process though. :D
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » September 27th 2011, 5:43am

My Tiger was towed home on a Uhaul trailer, put on with a come-a-long and a chain. No problems at all.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby RECox286 » September 27th 2011, 2:54pm

When anyone pictures New Jersey, they usually see a big flat with trees interspersed. However we live one block from the highest point in our area, and almost everything is down hill from our house.

I put john in the parts truck (no go, no stop, almost no steering !) and since the driveway is downhill, we started to push it by hand. I had my work truck in harms' way with a tire tied to the front,

and we let the dead truck bump into my truck. When the driveway got a bit steeper, I eased the both of us down to the street No problem. But when we tried to choreograph a turn, the two trucks

naturally had two different turning radii, and we lost contact with one another. I couldn't get repositioned quickly enough, and yelled " head for the curb ! ", which John managed to do. When he got

stopped, finally, the rear pax side tire was on my sidewalk steps, the front pax tire was jambed into the curb, and the rear pax light fixture was barely inches from my mailbox. I was ready to get out

the spray paint and make 3 rings on the street. (reference to Barnum and Bailey for those of you who don't remember the circus) I got repositioned behind the parts truck, and John repositioned the

U-Haul. When we got the pushed-mobile about 3/4 of the way onto the trailer, I ran out of tire between the two of us, and we decided it was come along time, which finished off the job as advertised.

Strapped, and chained up, it was "Miller time at the ranch" with fresh brewed iced tea all around. No, we don't drink and drive, although, after this rodeo, we probably would have liked to. I'll bet John

had a stiff one when he finally got home.

Well, the driveway looks rather nude these days, and I already am short of storage space, and a few spare parts that I would liked to have had, but the wife is happy now. One thing I've learned is:

"if the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." We'll leave it at that... 'till the next adventure. (Thanks John)

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)