Would you tow with an Astro if you had the choice?

Would you tow with an Astro if you had the choice?

Postby geoff [OP] » August 6th 2008, 6:33pm

I know a lot of people tow significant loads with their Astros/Safaris. I need to replace my tow vehicle and I'm not a fan of big vehicles and an Astro would be plenty large enough. I tow an 18 foot dual axle enclosed car trailer (probably 2000-2500lb?) with a 2200lb race car and about 100-200lb of extra wheels/tires plus a few hundred pounds of tools and spare parts in the tow vehicle. I live in New Hampshire and there are a significant amount of hills on the back roads that I need to go on to get to some of the places I go. I tow all over New England and will probably be going all over the north east as well. I've towed the race car on a Uhaul open deck trailer before using a '99 Blazer (same drivetrain as an the Astro). I don't know what the rear axle ratio was but it did fairly well though it was sort of slow on long hills. I of course would take all the precautions if I were to chose an Astro (inspect hitch points before, get a wight distributing hitch, brake controller, replace trans fluid with Amsoil synthetic, big tranny cooler, etc.). I know people tow that kind of weight with their Astros but if you were to buy a used vehicle just for towing would you stay with Astros or go bigger/tougher?

Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
geoff
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: geoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 94 AWD - can I tow it on a dolly?
    by underhill » January 10th 2021, 11:17pm in Towing/Trailers
    10 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 12th 2021, 12:57am
  • Astro On The Farm
    by Astroecho » August 29th 2020, 4:25am in Towing/Trailers
    3 Replies
    Last post by Astroecho View the latest post
    August 29th 2020, 6:27pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 20th 2021, 5:22pm

Re: Would you tow with an Astro if you had the choice?

Postby skippy » August 6th 2008, 8:18pm

If it were me , i'd change out my gears to 4.10's also . other than that looks like your on the right track . go with the biggest tranny cooler you can, it will only help . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
skippy
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: skippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full yearsskippy has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » August 7th 2008, 1:51am

When you walk the pits at the race track,how many Astro's do you see doing what you suggest you want to do??.Will it do it-sure,but will it do it with a comfort zone-no.The main thing is the frontal area of the enclosed trailer.Then there is the question of a wt limit.Astro's are about 5 grand to 5500.That is with load bars and all.Your a shade beyond that.I guess If it where me-I would buy a larger tow something.Just be reasonable with a safety margin in mind.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: high top

Postby geoff [OP] » August 8th 2008, 10:03pm

yeah, I should probably go with something more capable. I'm looking at a '93 C30 van with a 6.2 Diesel... Pretty much the same torque and about 40hp less than an Astro.

I don't see any Astros at tracks because I don't race at tracks, the scenery gets boring :sleep:

But we in the US are kind of wimps when it comes to what vehicle can tow certain loads. When I was in Europe last summer there were small cars towing travel trailers (VW Golf with probably a 15' trailer), cars towing cars on flatbed trailers (Volvo 240 towing a Volvo 240 on a trailer, SAAB 9000 towing a SAAB 9000 on a trailer), Mercedes pulling dual horse trailers etc... Of course, its more comforting to be towing with a more capable vehicle.
Original Poster [OP]
geoff
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: geoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full yearsgeoff has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby afsigma21 » August 12th 2008, 9:27pm

Is comfort an issue? If it is, then consider an Astro.

How many passengers? that is a huge factor as well.

I have an Expedition, rated to tow 8000lbs and it tows my 23' camper just fine, but it is a horrible ride for anything more than 150 miles with 5 people.
afsigma21
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: afsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full yearsafsigma21 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):

Postby chops » August 13th 2008, 12:46pm

skippy wrote:If it were me , i'd change out my gears to 4.10's also . other than that looks like your on the right track . go with the biggest tranny cooler you can, it will only help . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

shippy skippy skippy you forgot to mention the V8! :screaming:

gary arent you building your astro to pull a enclosed trailer and what not.

in all sence Ive towed with mine a s10 pickup on a uhaul trailer with no problems lil slow up long hills but other than that no problems and the vans engine was on its way out at the time!
If your gonna street race dont be affraid to go to the left!
chops
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: chops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full yearschops has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » August 13th 2008, 1:24pm

chops wrote:
skippy wrote:If it were me , i'd change out my gears to 4.10's also . other than that looks like your on the right track . go with the biggest tranny cooler you can, it will only help . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

shippy skippy skippy you forgot to mention the V8! :screaming:

gary arent you building your astro to pull a enclosed trailer and what not.

in all sence Ive towed with mine a s10 pickup on a uhaul trailer with no problems lil slow up long hills but other than that no problems and the vans engine was on its way out at the time!

Yeah-this trailer which is only a 6x8 and 2500lbs fully loaded.Ole Yellar will be a V8 too.

Gary
Dearly Departed
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: high top

Postby ript43 » April 15th 2009, 1:04am

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old post,yet I 'll share my towing experiences with a '94 2WD Astro w/ 4.3 TBI, 3.42 rear end. I towed a 24 ft travel trailer weighing in around 5000#. My first experience was hairy. I didn't have adequate tires, (I recommend a sturdy LT tire), and I don't believe I had the`weight distributing hitch properly adjusted for the van, though the trailer and van sat level...I had small helper coil springs in the rear,those may have contributed to the instability, but I'm not sure. The first trek out (650 plus miles) :eek: !!! I blamed the sway and and poor handling on the tires. The van, power wise, seemed adequate for the weight. But I was hauling on fairly level terrain for the most part.

Still convinced this van could and would handle the job, I bought Toyo light truck tires. Heavier side walls I figured was the ticket to stop the sway. Second trek... The van handled considerably better. But still there was a slight sway at speed. Not as hair raising but still there. I went through much hillier terrain this time ..Pennsylvania. The van did ok, though long hills were slow. It wasn't intil I got to one of my destinations that really showed the limitations of my beloved Astro. I had to tow up a very steep incline without any running start. The torque converter stalled half way up the hill and the hill was getting steeper. I was on paved road. And when I say steep, it was greater than a 10% grade. I had to be towed up the remainder of the hill. I do think if I had been able to get a run on the hill I 'd have made it. But just torqueing it up that grade didn't happen. For straight forward towing over the road I'd say staying 4000# and lighter you'd be okay. 5000# leaves little or no room for error or comfort. I went to a 1ton Dodge van w/5.9l V8 w/3.91 gears. A much better vehicle suited to towing that trailer. Shoulda bought a Chevy though :chevy: ...Dodge trannies blow. :poke:
ript43
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: ript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full yearsript43 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Nm12tbird » May 6th 2009, 10:29pm

Hello

I use my 94 Safari to haul my oval track race car. Open trailer. Short range mostly flat road conditions.
5 tires, Many parts Tools box all go into the Van.
Plus Jack & 4 Jack stands.

Paul
Nm12tbird
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Nm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full yearsNm12tbird has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):

Postby lmo » May 22nd 2009, 4:18am

I used my 93 AWD Astro with 3.73 gears to pull a 20ft travel trailer (4,000lbs) for 1 season around Calgary (3,500ft elevation).

I always knew the grade of the road and the direction the wind was blowing.

At best it was passable. At worst, climbing any kind of slope and/or going into a head wind, it was brutal. I switched to a G30 van, then a 2500 4wd suburban (vehicles that will seat 6 comfortably and the suburban will go in the snow).

I still have the Astro, I love it, but it is getting long in the tooth. The rational side of me says it is time to say goodbye to an old friend, while the sentimental side says that with a little work (ok, more than a little) it would have a few more years left in it.
lmo
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: lmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full yearslmo has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » May 22nd 2009, 1:21pm

My Astro just pulled a popup camper, 5 of us and all our assorted stuff on a 400 mile trip with no trouble. We started out flat, ended up in the mountains, and got 18.88 MPG.
:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Mr_Bowtie » May 30th 2009, 7:08am

I would definatly pull stuff with my Astro. :mrgreen:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby astro355 » May 30th 2009, 8:54pm

The only thing I haul with my astro is my a$$.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby MVMan » August 10th 2010, 4:48am

this is my second Astro/Safari to use towing. The first was a 1988 Astro which I towed a 27 foot Starcraft travel trailer which I towed for 6 years and over 50,000 miles with no problems. The 2005 Safari I just purchased and am now installing brake controller to start pulling my 22 foot Prowler travel trailer. I have found the Astro/Safari to be a great tow rig if you use correct class hitch for your load and do not exceed the gross weight of the van / trailer combo.
MVMan
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: MVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): MVman
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Tow Camper

Postby MVMan » September 29th 2010, 3:41pm

I know it has been a while, but here is the photo of my 2005 Safari and the 2002 22 ft. Prowler TT I tow.
Attachments
2005 Safari with 22 ft TT.JPG
MVMan
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: MVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full yearsMVMan has been a member for 10 full years

Postby MVMan » September 29th 2010, 3:44pm

Skippy, there is a 5.30 gear set on the market for the Astro/Safari rear end if you really want the max tow power for the buck.
MVMan
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby Phantom » September 29th 2010, 4:37pm

Nice looking camper ,

5.30 gears ? gonna need alotta bucks for the gas it will be drinkin :layrubber:
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby MVMan » September 29th 2010, 9:39pm

I put 5.30's in my 1988 with a cat back and a towing chip, running with out the 27 ft. tt I still got around 18, the good side is with towing the trailer it went to 13.8 to 14 on cruise at about 57 mph
MVMan
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby astroturf » September 29th 2010, 10:31pm

MVMan wrote:I know it has been a while, but here is the photo of my 2005 Safari and the 2002 22 ft. Prowler TT I tow.

MVMan,

Do you run any kind of Timbren or Air bag set up in the back?

Thanks, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby jeephunter16 » September 30th 2010, 12:29am

Homemade sled trailer with 2 sleds and a back full of tools and usually 6 passengers. As soon as I get mine back on the road I'm going to try and hook the BIg Tex trailer and see what happens, I have a felling the front wheels are going to come off the ground haha
DRIVE IT HARD
jeephunter16
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: jeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full yearsjeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full yearsjeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full yearsjeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full yearsjeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full yearsjeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full yearsjeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full yearsjeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full yearsjeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full yearsjeephunter16 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Erik
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD LT

Next