6-lug factory wheels for a trailer?

6-lug factory wheels for a trailer?

Postby gavio [OP] » April 7th 2020, 11:36pm

We have decided to buld a small off-road camping trailer to multiply our indoor space and camping options when out and about........We have a small home-built utility trailer to sue as a base and the plan was to upgrade the axle pronto, as this one has only 4-lug hubs and no brakes....

The finished trailer won't be very heavy, under 2000 lbs I expect, but I'm putting a 3500# axle under it to be safe and also be able to add brakes (especially for off-road situations)..

The van has factory 6-lug alloy wheels as used on all 2003 and up Astros.and my idea was to use matching wheels and tires from the van to

a) Look cool
b) Carry a second spare for use on the trailer or van either one
c) Look cool

The issue is that if I get a trailer axle with 6 on 5.5 hubs, it will have 1/2" studs.... Factory studs are 14 mm, which is a bit bigger so would be a sloppier fit on the 1/2" studs.... Will this be OK? Or do I need to:

a) Get a 5-lug trailer axle and try to find adapters to go from 5on5 to 6on5.5 with correct size studs?
b) Put the setup together as is and try to find hubcentric rings so there is less stress on the lug nuts?
c) Try to find someone to press out the studs, drill them open a bit and press in 14mm studs (which sounds like too much effort)
c) Give up?
d) None of the above?

Thoughts?
Last edited by gavio on April 7th 2020, 11:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Splicing in Flat-Four Trailer Plug
    by Huckleberry » May 16th 2020, 3:06am in Towing/Trailers
    4 Replies
    Last post by Huckleberry View the latest post
    May 17th 2020, 8:06pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 26th 2020, 5:12pm

Re: 6-lug factory wheels for a trailer?

Postby The Drummer » April 7th 2020, 11:48pm

If there is any gm fwd that uses the same wheels maybe you could use the rear solid axle with the brakes and everything , or just the hubs ?? .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby gavio [OP] » April 7th 2020, 11:53pm

If there is any gm fwd that uses the same wheels maybe you could use the rear solid axle with the brakes and everything

Interesting idea, but I'm unaware of such.... I suppose a possibility is a complete truck rearend, but it seems kind of cumbersome for such a small trailer....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rod's Trucks » April 7th 2020, 11:59pm

Definitely having the same wheel bolt pattern, and preferably the same size tires, is a good idea!
If it was me, I would go for the "press out, drill and reinsert " option. I think it is the most direct solution, and probably the cheapest, depending on the machine shop.
I see not need to purchase any adapters. That just adds one more ( dozen) potential failure points....another dozen lug nuts to worry about, which are buried behind the wheel flange.
Pressing out studs is not difficult. If you have access to a press, you should be able to do that yourself.
Most any large tire shop can, and will, do it if they do much brake work. Stripped and/or broken wheel studs is a relatively common problem. ( New guy with the powerful impact wrench has to learn somehow)
Getting the old holes drilled for larger studs is not difficult. It just requires careful drilling to get them straight.
I would think any machine shop would be able to handle that with little concern. They would just need to know the manufacturers spec for new hole to fit the new press-in stud .
I do not think the whole operation would cost much more than a set of decent quality adapters, but any honest machine shop should be able to quote the cost ( you might have to take a drum/hub/rotor to them, so they can see what they will be needing to do, to get a detailed quote ).
Let us know how it works out!

Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby The Drummer » April 8th 2020, 5:14am

From the internet : Bolt pattern 5x139.7
Rims with this bolt pattern may fit the following vehicles:

ARO (1)
Beiqi (4)
BJ212 BW007 Zhanqi Zhanqi Pickup
Chevrolet (2)
Niva Tracker
Chrysler (1)
Aspen
Daihatsu (3)
Feroza Rocky Rugger
Dodge (6)
B150 Dakota Durango Ram 1500 Ram 1500 Van Ram SRT
Ford (5)
Bronco Club Wagon E-150 Econoline F-100 F-150
GAZ (2)
2410 Volga Sobol
GEO (1)
Tracker
Jeep (1)
CJ
Kia (5)
Bongo K2500 K2700 Sorento Sportage
LADA (8)
4X4 4x4 Bronto 4x4 Urban Fora Nadezhda Niva Niva II Taiga
Mahindra (2)
Thar XUV 500
Maruti (1)
Gypsy
Mazda (2)
AZ Offroad Proceed Levante
Mitsubishi (2)
Jeep Raider
Ram (2)
1500 1500 Classic
Suzuki (12)
Escudo Grand Escudo Grand Vitara Jimny Jimny L Jimny Sierra Jimny Wide Samurai Sidekick Vitara X-90 XL-7
Toyota (4)
Blizzard Lite Ace Master Ace Surf Town Ace
UAZ (9)
2206 3303 3741 3909 39094 Cargo Hunter Patriot Pickup
VAZ (4)
2120 2121 2123 2131
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby M_a_t_t » April 8th 2020, 6:32am

gavio wrote:The issue is that if I get a trailer axle with 6 on 5.5 hubs, it will have 1/2" studs.... Factory studs are 14 mm, which is a bit bigger so would be a sloppier fit on the 1/2" studs.... Will this be OK?

The taper of the lug nuts center the holes on the wheels so I would think it wouldn't matter. The lugnuts wouldn't be interchangeable, but that doesn't seem like it would be an issue.

If you go for replacing the studs I know several people who just use a heat and a BFH to knock the old one out.
1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby gavio [OP] » April 8th 2020, 5:00pm

The taper of the lug nuts center the holes on the wheels so I would think it wouldn't matter.

I had started thinking that same thing.... Because aftermarket wheels aren't made for specific stud sizes - a 6-lug aftermarket rim will work on a Toyota (12mmm studs) and a GMC (14mm studs) without issue... Right?
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Alias (AKA):

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » April 8th 2020, 6:17pm

Yes, I Bought a tool from rockauto to install all new wheel studs on my rear axles. go into rockauto click on tools and universal parts and look for the tool. They have two different ones. Mine worked great.
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 608
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Astrofarian » April 8th 2020, 6:46pm

"Tool" for removing/installing wheel studs? Did I miss a meeting or something? The only "Tool" I've ever used is stored in my hammer drawer.
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby Rod's Trucks » April 8th 2020, 7:26pm

But there was some discussion about installing 14MM studs. The BFH is not the correct tool for installing those, and certainly not until after the holes are drilled larger !!
Rod
Rod's Trucks
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby Astrofarian » April 8th 2020, 8:23pm

Rod's Trucks wrote:But there was some discussion about installing 14MM studs. The BFH is not the correct tool for installing those, and certainly not until after the holes are drilled larger !!
Rod

Oh no, certainly NOT. All I meant was that in most scenarios, you only need the "3-Lb Bashometer" to remove or install studs. Definitely not the way to go when machining is indicated first. Thanks, Rod :clap:

-M!ke-
Astrofarian
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years

Postby gavio [OP] » April 8th 2020, 9:17pm

I've done some looking into this, and it seems that it's not going to be easy to find someone to drill out and install the larger studs.... Liability and we don't have the tools and we just don'w wanna do it, and out of business elc.....

It seems that some folks have had success doing it themselves on various vehicles, but the drill size for the 14mm studs is .618 which pretty much doesn't exist.... So I think that option is out.....

Is there a 1/2" lug nut that will work with the later style GM alloy wheels?

Do I just ned to get aftermarket steel wheels that could presumably work on the trailer or the van? Which brings up a whole bunch of offset and spacing issues....

Gah, this seemed like such a simple idea.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Alias (AKA):

Postby BirdshakeBirdshake is online! » April 8th 2020, 10:00pm

I got lug nuts off ebay to mount newer M14 alloy wheels onto an older G30. but that was 9/16 thread.

Quick search found this https://www.amazon.com/Lug-Nuts-style-E ... B009SDA75I those could work.
2005 4WD Astro Cargo
NP236 3.73 Eaton Posi
S10 HD Springs 3" blocks
245/75/16 BFG KO2
KYB Monomax
BirdshakeBirdshake is online!
Years of Membership: Birdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby Astrofarian » April 8th 2020, 10:37pm

15.5 mm or 39/64" drills are as close as you're going to get to your Holy Grail .618" dia. BUT.....I have a question. Is the .618" diameter what's specified for TAPPING the hole to your ideal stud size or is that the specification for a press/interference fit? Seems kind of strange that someone gave you a spec for a twist-drill made of Unobtainium?
-M!ke-
Astrofarian

Postby gavio [OP] » April 9th 2020, 12:24am

Quick search found this https://www.amazon.com/Lug-Nuts-style-E ... B009SDA75I those could work

I had been wondering if I could maybe just use those and call it good..... As long as they seat into the wheels (which they should since they are all 60 degree) then it seems like maybe they just tighten down normally and the extra slack really doesn't matter - I mean the holes that are already there are sloppy anyway to allow you to install and remove the wheel....

BUT.....I have a question. Is the .618" diameter what's specified for TAPPING the hole to your ideal stud size or is that the specification for a press/interference fit?

.618 is the diameter the hole should be for a proper press fit of the 14mm stud. As far as I can tell nobody makes a drill bit that color....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Alias (AKA):

Postby M_a_t_t » April 9th 2020, 1:47am

Rod's Trucks wrote:But there was some discussion about installing 14MM studs. The BFH is not the correct tool for installing those, and certainly not until after the holes are drilled larger !!
Rod

BFH to knock the old ones out. No press needed.

gavio wrote:Is there a 1/2" lug nut that will work with the later style GM alloy wheels?

I think the only thing that matters is the taper angle of the lug nut seat and that the overall size is large enough that it doesn't go straight through the hole in the rim. I think the 90's silverado used 1/2" lug nuts, probably the same taper angle too.
1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby 90safari » July 12th 2020, 4:08am

Rod's Trucks wrote:Definitely having the same wheel bolt pattern, and preferably the same size tires, is a good idea!
If it was me, I would go for the "press out, drill and reinsert " option. I think it is the most direct solution, and probably the cheapest, depending on the machine shop.
I see not need to purchase any adapters. That just adds one more ( dozen) potential failure points....another dozen lug nuts to worry about, which are buried behind the wheel flange.
Pressing out studs is not difficult. If you have access to a press, you should be able to do that yourself.
Most any large tire shop can, and will, do it if they do much brake work. Stripped and/or broken wheel studs is a relatively common problem. ( New guy with the powerful impact wrench has to learn somehow)
Getting the old holes drilled for larger studs is not difficult. It just requires careful drilling to get them straight.
I would think any machine shop would be able to handle that with little concern. They would just need to know the manufacturers spec for new hole to fit the new press-in stud .
I do not think the whole operation would cost much more than a set of decent quality adapters, but any honest machine shop should be able to quote the cost ( you might have to take a drum/hub/rotor to them, so they can see what they will be needing to do, to get a detailed quote ).
Let us know how it works out!

Rod J

Yup, or get proper fitting GM lug nuts from an 80's 4X4.But, if you're bound and determined to replace the lug studs, have a look thru the Dorman catalog, as they give sizes for the hole needed for the lug stud to seat properly, and engage into the hub flange. By doing a little searching, you might come up with a size that you can get a drill bit for.
Note, when I needed to run spacers on the rear of my Geo Prizm to run the 15" wheels on it, that's what I did, as I was mainly looking for some longer studs to use, and nobody knew what they would be from. The online Dorman catalog was a lifesaver, as I could then take the part number to a good auto parts store and have them, order them up, and get the right parts. Did that for a Honda Accord too. ;)
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby MechBob » July 12th 2020, 1:39pm

I did something similar,years ago.What i found was,there are many standard lug nuts for 1/2" and lots of them have different size/dia tapered cones.I merely got some that had a wider cone.I think they were ford nuts.
MechBob
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4