Hitch Mount Spare Tire Carrier

Hitch Mount Spare Tire Carrier

Postby MechBobMechBob is online! [OP] » March 11th 2020, 5:31am

Gonna build one. Not one that hangs out the back,like the front or rear mount ones, as it puts a huge amount of stress on the hitch assembly. There are several homemade ones out there,here is an example off YT-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCGGOXZxKwg
However, this is quick,easy, clunky, noisy and unsafe.What i want to build will be much more stable,AND, still be able to tow with it.Several goals i have--the weight of the tire/wheel should rest on the rear bumper,not the hitch.The tire assembly should be far enough that the right rear cargo door can be opened from the inside, even if the assembly is not tilted down.(camping).This is more of a convenience thing, very usable.I run LT tires, nothing huge, so should be doable. Has to be able to slightly adjust tire/wheel assembly up and down, so I can use it on Gen1 and Gen2 vans. Have to have the weight resting on the bumper.Also, would like the framework be set up to be able to have a drop on rack(bolts or clip pins) to be able to hold 1 or 2 pit jug gas(or water) jugs.Should not be a problem,if built properly,as the bumper shall be carrying the weight.My biggest things having another full size spare, and being able to exit the rear door,camping.Yes,I am going to install a inside rear door release handle. I have obtained some parts,while the hitch/towing part is good, the part where the flip up/down section shall need strengthening, and i will probably put bushings inside the tubing.The biggest thing---right hand cargo door is always available to be opened.As i also have to put groceries in the back.Anyway, this is premature,as i have not built anything yet, and, about 3 weeks ago I slipped and fell on snow/ice and racked my leg pretty bad.That's my t6houghts and plan,might be able to drive 2 towns away tomorrow, and pick up some steel.
Original Poster [OP]
MechBobMechBob is online!
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4x4

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Class III Hitch help 2" receiver opening
    by Safarimeister » September 10th 2020, 3:02pm in Towing/Trailers
    21 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! View the latest post
    September 14th 2020, 4:58pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 2:20am

Re: Hitch Mount Spare Tire Carrier

Postby MechBobMechBob is online! [OP] » March 11th 2020, 5:55am

OH, originally, I wanted to make the tire carrier also swing out, in addition to tilting down, so left cargo door could be opened, but that would extend the trailer/towing part extend way too far from the van, too much of an increased load,not safe.So i gave up on that. If not planning on towing, then is very doable.
Original Poster [OP]
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years

Postby augidog » March 11th 2020, 5:16pm

I tried to follow that as best I could. It isn't unlike my own thought process when I considered how to with dutch doors. It made my head hurt, so I've decided to give up the space behind the 3rd row bench...spare, small floor jack, inverter, compressor, etc. I don't have a 2nd row, so I do have plenty of side door cargo capacity, if I need more I have the trailer. A plus to the idea is I'll hardly ever open the liftgate, and my new seals ought to last a good long time.

But, if I ever see a good frame/bumper/hitch mounted tilt-down swing-out, vs door/hinge mount, that isn't too humongous (a challenge with a full size wheel and tire) I'll be giving it a serious look. If your thoughts here ever evolve into sketches or pictures of the job, I'll get notice, which is why I chimed in.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby augidog » March 12th 2020, 3:24pm

If the weight was actually on the bumper, you would only need a short "sleeve" which could be pinned in place with a slightly longer ball mount, with only a minimal change in overall length. I'll edit in a sketch from my phone.
Attachments
IMG_20200312_072947.jpg
augidog

Postby ericstg » March 16th 2020, 5:22am

2003 AWD Astro Cargo, 3+1(plus a shackle) lift, LT245/75R16, it's badass!

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=129113
ericstg
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: ericstg has been a member for 2 full yearsericstg has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

Postby MechBobMechBob is online! [OP] » March 18th 2020, 6:14am

So augie must have misses this-- AND, still be able to tow with it.
Original Poster [OP]

Postby markmitch » March 18th 2020, 3:40pm

markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby augidog » March 18th 2020, 3:49pm

MechBob wrote:So augie must have misses this-- AND, still be able to tow with it.
until it was posted, yes I was unaware. Looks stout, and nicely detailed, and dang it's pricey. But, it would probably cost just as much to build it yourself. I like the wedge lock idea.
augidog

Postby markmitch » March 18th 2020, 5:13pm

What if you built it off the stock bumper brackets so the hitch was still fully useable? Maybe hinge it off the two brackets into a Y so it can be lowered and the doors are still fully accessible. I can draw something up but I am but I think there are others with a better idea on designing things. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby MechBobMechBob is online! [OP] » March 20th 2020, 10:36pm

What I have purchased for this project is this--- https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200750438 and then will build an upright, with a bar going left, so when it,tire and wheel is swung up, the tire assembly shall be resting on the bumper. i shall have to make the wheel mount a bit adjustable, for different size tire, or using it on other van, as bumper is a bit different.
Original Poster [OP]

Postby AstroWill » March 20th 2020, 11:20pm

MechBob wrote:https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200750438_200750438

That is pretty awesome, wish that would have been available when I made the carrier for mine. Though mine is heavier duty and provides more function, that would work really well for most cases.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby MechBobMechBob is online! [OP] » March 21st 2020, 1:33am

Yes.I have no use for the bike carrier,so not an issue.Also, the further you get away from the back of the vehicle, the load rating is much less, and more unsafe.Sorry,i think about these things,being a mechanic. I also plan to put bushings in the upright, for little movement, no chance of rubbing on back door.
Original Poster [OP]

Postby AstroWill » March 21st 2020, 2:10am

I agree, that hitch extension halves the carrying capacity. Also that isn't how my spare tire is mounted, my spare is mounted directly to the bumper. I don't recommend pulling a trailer with the way Provan did the bumper extension on those, but that is another topic.

I picked up that bike rack for a song, love it as it fits on the stock A/S vans without impeding the liftgate. Normally only 2 bikes on there, but sometimes I have 4 or more to carry.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense