Tow bar for 1997 4wd astro

Tow bar for 1997 4wd astro

Postby GSouthee [OP] » July 11th 2020, 5:57pm

Hi over here in the UK I can only seem to find towbars for 2wd, what is the difference in the 4wd and 2 wd for fitting a towbar.

Cheers Guys
Nothing cannot be fixed sometimes just needs imagination, help and a bloody big hammer!
Original Poster [OP]
GSouthee
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: LT 4.3 AWD Tintop

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Canadian Buying Advice: Astro/Safari
    by iLikeToAstroSafari » May 6th 2020, 11:26am in Towing/Trailers
    11 Replies
    Last post by iLikeToAstroSafari View the latest post
    May 22nd 2020, 2:52pm
  • Astro On The Farm
    by Astroecho » August 29th 2020, 4:25am in Towing/Trailers
    3 Replies
    Last post by Astroecho View the latest post
    August 29th 2020, 6:27pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 6:53am

Re: Tow bar for 1997 4wd astro

Postby Rod's Trucks » July 11th 2020, 6:18pm

I cannot see any reason for there being any difference. Even if it had something that went back well under the sub-frame, there is nothing significantly different that I am aware of.
Does anybody think there is a difference in the sub-frame?
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby augidog » July 11th 2020, 6:25pm

AWD should be transported on a ramp only, from what I've learned. I think there might be a way, by disconnecting something, but I don't know for sure.

as always..."corrections welcome."
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby GSouthee [OP] » July 11th 2020, 7:19pm

Cheers Rod,

Augi I think you misinterpreted my query I want a tow bar to put a trailer on it.

Cheers G
Nothing cannot be fixed sometimes just needs imagination, help and a bloody big hammer!
Original Poster [OP]
GSouthee
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby augidog » July 11th 2020, 7:35pm

oh, a "trailer hitch?" we had us a terminology barrier. what do you all call the device used to haul a car behind a motorhome?

as far as I know, there's no difference in hitches between RWD and AWD. could you link us to what you've found so far?
augidog

Postby Rod's Trucks » July 11th 2020, 8:47pm

I, too, was thinking of the device that attaches to the front of the van, so it could be towed by another vehicle.
That is MUCH different than the rear hitch that is used to tow a caravan, or utility trailer.
"Is the motor under the 'boot' or under the 'hood'?" It depends upon which continent you are on... <GRIN>
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » July 11th 2020, 10:04pm

Rod's Trucks wrote:I, too, was thinking of the device that attaches to the front of the van, so it could be towed by another vehicle.
That is MUCH different than the rear hitch that is used to tow a caravan, or utility trailer.
"Is the motor under the 'boot' or under the 'hood'?" It depends upon which continent you are on... <GRIN>
Rod J

What...?

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “Everything needs to change except the asshole culture and stupid way of life of the avg. antifa, BLM follower - slobs, cowards, killers w/o any thought that they, IN FACT, are now the Racists.”

sixsixsixsix is online!
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » July 11th 2020, 10:04pm

Rod's Trucks wrote:I, too, was thinking of the device that attaches to the front of the van, so it could be towed by another vehicle.
Rod J

I dunno...
Last edited by sixsixsixsix is online! on July 11th 2020, 11:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “Everything needs to change except the asshole culture and stupid way of life of the avg. antifa, BLM follower - slobs, cowards, killers w/o any thought that they, IN FACT, are now the Racists.”

sixsixsixsix is online!
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby Old Barney » July 11th 2020, 10:17pm

I took a hidden hitch from a 95 awd and put it in a 2001 two wheel drive ok. It went ok except for the forward bold hole on left side I had to remove it all the way and run a tap through the front hole and had to waller out the front hole on the hitch a tad. Nothing but work. so I would try to run the bolt in each factory hole in the frame first Save some aggravation on a hot day. I believe I had to remove the bumper braces both sides install the hitch assembly. I can not remember but the Hidden Hitch had replaced the brackets??
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: awd

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » July 11th 2020, 11:03pm

augidog wrote:oh, a "trailer hitch?" we had us a terminology barrier. what do you all call the device used to haul a car behind a motorhome?

as far as I know, there's no difference in hitches between RWD and AWD. could you link us to what you've found so far?

What... ?

sixsixsixsix is online!

Postby augidog » July 12th 2020, 1:05am

sixsix wrote:
augidog wrote:oh, a "trailer hitch?" we had us a terminology barrier. what do you all call the device used to haul a car behind a motorhome?

What... ?
what, what?
augidog

Postby markmitch » July 12th 2020, 3:13am

the trailer hitch is the same between 2 wheel drive and awd however the amount you can safely tow is less on AWD I was told by a garage that installs the trailer hitch on anything they can carry the hitch for that if a rear drive is rated at 5k then the AWD would be 1000 lbs less. He claimed its because the engine is turning both axles so has less power to pull? I am no expert so I suggest finding out the specs for your year and if its rear drive or AWD find out if there is a difference
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 608
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby 90safari » July 12th 2020, 3:51am

sixsix wrote:
Rod J

What...?

On the other side of the pond, a hood is what we call a roof, and the boot is a trunk lid. They also use a torch (flash light) for seeing at night or in the dark. Just something I've learned from being on other forums.
I too was hoping he was looking for a trailer hitch, versus a tow bar. As far as I can remember, 2WD and AWD use the same hitch in the USA.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby Mmusicman » July 12th 2020, 12:19pm

--

Tow Bar:
tow bar.jpg

Trailer Hitch:
(also Receiver Hitch)
trailer hitch 02.jpg

Trailer hitch same for AWD and RWD

--
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 72
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby MechBob » July 12th 2020, 1:18pm

A hood is a convertible top, in UK. A bonnet is what covers the engine.
MechBob
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby MechBob » July 12th 2020, 1:30pm

Some of this is from memory-- A "trailer hitch" is more properly termed a "receiver".There are different receivers, some are rated heavier capacity than others.GM recommendations are vague,as normal. Basically 5k for an awd,5500 for 2wd.But you should have the steeper gears for the heavier weight.You can look in any owners manual and find this.Trailer and hitch places recommend traile rbrakes, sway control and load distributing hitch for anything over 2k weight. Also, some receivers will not work with a full size spare.
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years

Postby dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! » July 12th 2020, 1:34pm

speaking of which...
I've seen it mentioned a few times here about "the right hitch" Which one is that?
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

foxfire wrote:i have a thing for customizing slightly outdated vehicles.

yeah, don't we all....
dcsleeperdcsleeper is online!
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Postby GSouthee [OP] » July 13th 2020, 7:20pm

Right here we go.

UK speak.

Tow bar fits to vehicle and tow ball fits to tow bar and are is to tow a trailer.

Hood goes over the driver as in a convertible car. Also is a form of headgear.

Bonnet is out front were the engine lives (unless it *** ended ie Porsche) then its in the boot. A Bonnet is also an old ladies hat.

A Trunk is found on an elephant.

Any way all the tow bar suppliers over here state on their ads not 4wd, when I spoke to a couple they did not know why!!!!! arrrrgh. :screaming:

I have found a supplier not to far from where I live so going down there and see if they can show me why it will not fit.

Cheers for info guys. Now you must try harder to speak the Queens English don't you know. Ta ta for now, toot sweet. ;)

G
Original Poster [OP]
GSouthee
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby markmitch » July 13th 2020, 8:21pm

That's funny stuff right there, no offense but the Queen is a figure head and has little to do with the government-learned this from some SAS guys I trained with during my Army days. Also a fag here is slang for homosexual but over there its a cigarette. Mate=friend here a mate is your wife or girlfriend. For some here the term tea time is time to smoke weed same as 420. I for one do not now nor have I ever thought of royalty to be anything more then a word just like democrat or republican, means absolutely nothing to me. No offense meant.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 608
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby MechBob » July 13th 2020, 9:20pm

The UK has to use/follow EU towing regulations. New hitch designs have to be tested,and, as the majority of the Astros that went over there were 2wd, probably never got done, and never will be.They use strange hitches,and tend to prefer a bolted on ball unit.However, as his van is a pre 98, I see no reason he could not order a standard 2" receiver from ebay/USA, and have it shipped there,less than 200 bucks.And, according to their rules, would be legal.
MechBob

Next