Switch to full site
Discuss towing and trailers and plows, or overdrive and hitch towing capacity (GVW) and tongue weight for heavy loads. This is the place for tow hitches, receivers, and trailer wiring as well as snow plowing.
Post a reply

26’ ultralight doesn’t scare a 26yo Astro one bit ;)

October 19th 2020, 7:10pm

She might be a bit old, but she’s solid as gold!
Attachments
94665437-B983-432B-91E7-0747BC0B6DB9.jpeg

Re: 26’ ultralight doesn’t scare a 26yo Astro one bit ;)

October 20th 2020, 2:54am

AstroSafariEsqGuy wrote:She might be a bit old, but she’s solid as gold!

What about the Van and Trailer - Bless their Hearts ?

October 23rd 2020, 6:36pm

Dang dude that's impressive! I tow my 12' teardrop which probably weighs less than 1000 lbs, and it feels just about right behind my van. I cannot imagine towing as much as you have.

How bad is the squat? Do you have heavy duty leafs or air bags?

October 23rd 2020, 6:57pm

Astros can be impressive tow vehicles.

I had to change rear wheel bearings after this, but otherwise it went just fine. Towed ~35 miles with the truck on the trailer. No leaf springs upgraded, but I think I pushed my old worn leafs over the edge. Haven't changed them yet.

October 23rd 2020, 11:07pm

Astros totally are impressive tow vehicles.

AstroJeep.jpg

I replaced the fan clutch with a Hayden severe duty clutch, the belt and tensioner and put load-leveling shocks on the rear before the tow. I didn't have to replace anything on the van after the tow, and I towed it 650 miles in one day.

The Jeep needed a new trans and was stuck nose in (had 2nd, but no reverse or other forward gears) in my best friend's garage. I had to winch it out and onto the trailer with a Harbor Freight portable winch. The Astro did the rest.

October 28th 2020, 1:57am

Back in '99 I was towing a 21' Airstream (single axle) with a 92 Astro... bone cold stock. (well, added trans cooler!) Did have a proper equalizer hitch. If I had spent the money on 3.73 gears, I would not have needed to change the transmission, but even at that the trans lasted MANY miles. (stock was 2.73)
Recently I was towing our 26' camper (sold as: hitch to bumper - 23' box) with my 99 Astro. Not as long as that one, but not an ultra lite either!
Astro / Safari's will tow a lot more than folks think. Other than needing a bit more engine, I like the chassis better than most 1/2 ton pickups I've had.
Post a reply