Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Plug for trailer wiring?

10K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  wizical 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, Is there a socket already built into the wiring loom for connecting the towbar socket into? I have a Renault Scenic & this has sockets either side to connect into so the trailer lights work. It would be nice if the Astro has the same!

#3 ·
My 95 didn't have one. I stripped, soldered & shrink wrapped the harness by the bulbs & fished it down.

Side note- My wife's Villager has connectors in the harness. I cut a set out of one at the junk yard and hooked them up to the trailer harness. It is removable, and works really well.

#5 ·
I am having the same problem. I have a 1995 safari truck van 4.3 vortec and have a wire on the right side passenger where the jack is located and the female connector there has 8 with 7 active prongs inside. My trailer has a different 4 prong male. WHat do I need to do to get this connected correctly, Thank you.
Joe

#7 ·
THats weird the plug that I found taped with wires is a rectangular shape with 7 active wires. It is a female plug and I also noticed the colors are 1 thick white wire, dark green, light green, (2) yellow wires, brown wire and I totally forgot the last one. Lol. Please let me know if I should mess with these wires.

#8 ·
That sounds close but I don't remember (2 yellows) I was told ther is no ready made harness system you can buy like for pickup trucks. Mine is a cargo and the wires were in the right rear corner taped up above the jack area, your owners manual should tell you the colors (mine did) and there is no blue wire for brakes so you have to run your own, I ran 14 guage speaker wire for my controller ( calls for 14 guage min ) the other half of the wire is unspliced for later use like 12V, you can test the wires with a DMM ( RT/LT, lights,brakes ) to confirm BUT make sure you disconnect the battery ground before you start soldering.

#9 ·
The FSM for my '93 says this:

DK BLU = auxiliary circuit
DK GRN = RH turn and stop
YEL = LH turn and stop
BRN = taillamp
WHT = ground

LT GRN goes to the backup lamps so if your trailer doesn't have backup lights, ignore it.

#10 ·
Where can the blue wire and orange wire be found in the front of the van? I have everything connected in the rear but there is no power on the orange 12v wire.I know on my Suburban these wires were taped up under the brake booster in the front but I can't seem to find them in the van.

#11 ·
h2omelon said:
Where can the blue wire and orange wire be found in the front of the van? I have everything connected in the rear but there is no power on the orange 12v wire.I know on my Suburban these wires were taped up under the brake booster in the front but I can't seem to find them in the van.
Umm... They don't exist! You have to run your own wires! I used self-resetting breakers and wired directly to the auxillery connectors right below the fuse block in the engine compartment, then ran through relays, that has a switch to control it from the dash, then to the varios stuff - 1 of the wires may need to go to a brake controller. Once I finish, I'll post pics!

#12 ·
Wolphin said:
h2omelon said:
Umm... They don't exist! You have to run your own wires! I used self-resetting breakers and wired directly to the auxillery connectors right below the fuse block in the engine compartment, then ran through relays, that has a switch to control it from the dash, then to the varios stuff - 1 of the wires may need to go to a brake controller. Once I finish, I'll post pics!
They actually do exist. I found them finally. The orange wire was under the carpet in the drives side footwell.It has a plug on it that plugs into the empty plug labled NAT in the box next to the fuse panel.The blue wire was folded over and taped to a wiring bundle under the carpet also. If you have the blue and orange wires in the harness in the rear this is where you can find them.

#13 ·
not sure on the Astro's, but on H-2's and some other GM trucks, the battery + wire for the trailer harness is not hot unless you pull the dummy fuse in the underhood fusebox and put in a real one. (30 AMP )My '99 has all the wiring as previously stated by a couple of others on the right side above the jack,with all the wires labeled.Good find on the wiring ! a lot of trucks, GM and others, have trailer wiring harness taped up in the harness under the dash.

#17 ·
my 2000 safari has 8 wires bundled in the jack area. I installed my hitch yesterday and wired my 7 pin round "Hopkins" connector today. I have one left over wire and have no clue where it goes. It is labeled something like... M Hi BBrks. There are 2 white wires... one thick and one thin. The thin white wire is the left over wire.

Anyone know where this one goes?

#18 ·
hope this helps
i have a 94 awd ext
if you have the haynes manual
it actually tells you
all the wires you need are under the panel on the left hand side of the van
and if you have a van with the towing package the plug will be there
other wise youll have to splice into the wires

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.