Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Pulling a truck on a tow-dolly 850 miles

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GaryZ 
#1 ·
P

Hello everyone-I am a new guy,but not new to these vans. I have had a 1993 astro,and a 1999 gmc safari awd., and now a 2002 astro....and love these vans.
I do alot of travelling and camp in my van and haul 3 dogs at the same time.

The question now is---I just bought a 1956 ford f100 AND IT WEIGHS AROUND 3100 LBS. I just bought a tow-dolly and need to travel 850 miles home from Atlanta-to Cleveland. I know I will remove the driveshaft,and this will be the first time using a astro and tow dolly. Do you see any problem? I was going to use my trailer....but no trailer brake-anyway. I would rather have it lower for less drag and center of gravity. I have pulled alot of trailers,and have extensive training...just older now and more worried.. :swerve: ..any problem ? thanks....Bill :chevy:

#2 ·
Seems you know alot about towing already.These vans require a tranny cooler and the largest one you can get is in your favor.On hilly areas tow in 3th only-no O/D.You might be able to tow in O/D on flat areas.For me,I didn't chance it.Might want to have the seller in Atlanta measure how wide the truck is.With u-haul their dollies are too small for the astro's I dolly towed and I had to put on donut shares to make it fit.Yes I understand your not towing a Astro,but sure a kick in the butt if the truck didn't fit after a 800 mile trip.

Have a safe trip Bill

#3 ·
Hi walford
3100 lbs is a bit of a load. As Gary mentioned a transmission cooler for sure. Have the rear brakes checked adjusted before the trip. I would also recommend a set of coil over shocks for the rear if your still running the stock factory shocks. Munroe - Gabriel - Rancho should have them if your interested. I would like to know how things went after you get back. Please keep us updated walford,Thanks

I'm sure others will chime in if they can.:)

#4 ·
A tow-dolly places very little weight on the hitch. Make adjustments or add weight and be sure to have about 200lbs on the ball. The ball weight will push the back of the van down during braking. If the weight is too light, the towed vehicle can lift the back of the van and literally push it into a jack-knife.

For me, the weakest part of the Astro/Safari van when towing has always been the brakes. Be sure yours are in good shape and give yourself lots of stopping room, especially going down hill. My trailer pushed my 1991 Safari through a red light at the bottom of a bridge in Oklahoma City!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.