Wiring Controller

Wiring Controller

Postby catbones [OP] » June 10th 2013, 2:58pm

Hello,

I'm new here, do excuse me if I'm not doing this right. I did search the forum but I wasn't able to find. I'm getting a 2004 Chevy Astro and I got a controller on my other vehicle that I'm selling, but I will be moving that controller over to the Astro.

Now I'm wondering if there is a adapter for an Astro to avoid messing around with the wires or do I once again have to do a custom slice and hook type job?

In case I do, just not to open too many new topics, anyone know where I can find (and what color) wires under the dash for receiving the break light power? To charge the trailer battery, can I just run one of the 7 plug cables directly to the battery or should I run it to the positive alternator on the Astro?

Any suggestions and point form ideas would help. Thank you in advance.
Original Poster [OP]
catbones
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: catbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 83
Alias (AKA): catbones
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Base 4.3L V6 AWD

Re: Wiring Controller

Postby akkid » June 11th 2013, 10:10pm

20130611_120901.jpg
Im not sure if they come prewired or not. I always like to make my own connections. One problem I had was making the connection at the side post terminals. So now I get dual post batteries and use the top post for the brake controller. I also use # 10 wire for all power and ground except for the brake signal input I use # 14 . And one 30 amp breaker at the positive battery connection.
akkid
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: akkid has been a member for 7 full yearsakkid has been a member for 7 full yearsakkid has been a member for 7 full yearsakkid has been a member for 7 full yearsakkid has been a member for 7 full yearsakkid has been a member for 7 full yearsakkid has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: cargo

Postby Starrshine » June 12th 2013, 2:18am

When I installed mine in my 2003, I connected my power to the terminals that are at the fuse box under the hood. The positive cable hooks straight from the battery to that post. There is also a ground that went straight from the battery to the ground on the body. I considered these connections to be as good as direct to the battery and have not had any problem. I did put a 30 amp circuit breaker on the positive side. If your van is not wired for a tow package, you will have to run the blue wire to the back. I did find a connector on the brake pedal switch to hook that wire to, which was a white wire. Put a grommet into the hole you drill in the firewall!!!!
Bob

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss
Listen to my music here:
http://www.reverbnation.com/bobstarr
Starrshine
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Starrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » June 12th 2013, 2:31am

The trailer wiring should be taped up in a bundle under the jack in the passenger rear.

I'd have to find my pic, but I don't think there was already a wire in the bundle for a brake controller. Then again, I only needed a flat-4 connector, so I didn't pay much attention to the extra wires...
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Starrshine » June 12th 2013, 4:16pm

Leeann_93 wrote:The trailer wiring should be taped up in a bundle under the jack in the passenger rear.

I'd have to find my pic, but I don't think there was already a wire in the bundle for a brake controller. Then again, I only needed a flat-4 connector, so I didn't pay much attention to the extra wires...

Do all of the vans have the tow wiring? Did not realize that. Mine already had a hitch but no plug. If the wiring is there, the wire for the brakes were there too.
Bob

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss
Listen to my music here:
http://www.reverbnation.com/bobstarr
Starrshine
Years of Membership: Starrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » June 12th 2013, 10:00pm

Yep, should be there. All wrapped up in light grey tape with a factory warning tag on it.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby catbones [OP] » July 6th 2013, 7:03pm

Gonna make a video when I get a chance to install my brake controller so everyone else has an easier path doing it. I know there are to wires going from the brake pedal that you should be sticking the blue brake controller wire in.
Original Poster [OP]
catbones
Years of Membership: catbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full years

Postby catbones [OP] » July 7th 2013, 6:32am

Does anyone have a picture or diagram for a 2004 Astro where I can tap into a wire that sends enough power from the brake for the blue brake controller wire?

My plan, to run 2 wires directly to the battery, tap in to the right brake cable for the blue wire and run all wires to the back then plug into the 4 way plug I already have setup to finish up the 7 connection.

Let me know if you know which wire under the driver dash I can tap into, unless there is a 2 wire coming from the brake box right above the brake pedal, one which I can tap into.
Original Poster [OP]
catbones