Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Getting wiring harness outside of Astro w/ tow package

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Astro Hole 
#1 ·
So my family just got a used 2003 Astro and I am getting it ready to tow. I have found the wiring harness but could use the help of some veterans on figuring out where and how to get the wiring down and out of the frame. Thanks for your time!

#2 ·
I can't say for sure about your year model, but my 89 has rubber plugs in holes in both the right and left rear corners. The holes go between the inside plastic trim-wheel well area to the outside, under the van, near the bumper corners area. One of my holes has the trailer wire harness going through it with a factory grommet. The other is still plugged, apparently for use with harnesses for laser weapons, exterior disco balls or whatever.

I believe the plugs go IN from the inside. ie to remove them, push them from the outside.

Lump

#3 ·
Now I need to investigate this on my '02. I needed the harness in a hurry and simply ran it out the middle of the barn doors, to the underside through the spare tire ratchet hole.

If there's a rubber plug in the corner, I'm gonna find it...

EDIt I did have the factory harness, I just didn't know about the holes in the corners.

#4 ·
I never found a factory harness in mine, but then again it is a conversion van and I wasn't about to tear it to pieces looking too hard. I drilled a small hole in the floor below each tail light and dropped my wire through, then sealed it with Ultra-Copper gasket sealer because it's what I had on hand at the time.

I wrote this before Leann and Lumpy posted- I didn't notice plugs on my van, maybe I'll go look just for curiosity's sake.

#7 ·
Do the newer vans have those flip top compartments over the rear wheel wells? The gen Is have that and there's a rubber hose that drains to the outside through the floor pan in that rear corner(s). Like if you spill your drink in the compartment it will drain out to the outside. If there is, drill a hole next to that. Or 86 the hose and enlarge/use the hole meant for that rubber tubing.

Lump

#8 ·
Sadly, the newer vans don't have drains for the storage compartments - I guess people in the 21st century were no longer supposed to spill things.... Also, I had my interior stripped out completely and don't recall seeing any plugged holes...

#12 ·
I have a hitch ordered for mu 03 Safari and will install it Friday. Thanks to this forum i found the wiring harness in the jack compartment. I remember installing a hitch on a Vandura 2500 conversion van. Installing the hitch itself was about a 2 hr. job, the wiring harness was at least 5 hrs. Had to remove interior from both rear corners. ........

#13 ·
Installed the hitch today, this was the easiest hitch installation that I have done, 4 bolts on each side. Found the hole with the rubber plug and removed it, note there are 2 holes with rubber plugs, one on each corner. As mentioned, these holes are small and need to be drilled out..............

#14 ·
My van is a 2001, and I already found my wiring in the jack compartment. It didn't have a plug on it, but I have already taken care of it. I wasn't aware of any grommets or plugs, but I'll look for them. My wiring is long enough to run out the doors, so I figured that is what the engineers expected of us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.